rim repair tool!

Old November 22nd 04, 03:17 PM
g.daniels

Default rim repair tool!

went over to the next burrough for a flu shot before mass hysteria set
in: the superduper where the shot fest was held sent out a karate man
who subtley bent muh CR-18 double wall 27" rim.
not fixable, nor is the plight of the superduper vs. woolmort where i
thus transfered all accounts.
no rim bending machines on this coast sez local expert.
well, i tugged, pushed, tried deep reach clamping, put it under the
schoolbus front bumper and levered against the grill-uneven bars?-that
has promise as a adjustable device.
nuttin!
as the last resort, i jumped on it.
between two rectangles of junked countertop chip board covered with
formica
then back to the bus for a tweak.
now yawl know what usually happens here, splat!!
but no! the rim slowly came back into shape. jumpjumpjumpjump. i weigh
165.
the double wall did not collapse:amazing!
i have not tried this on other rim construction or materials-i assume
ceramics...
i now have two squares of 1 1/4" chip/formica.protect the formica,
float the chip on tubas.
trued the rim yesterday and itsagonnarunagin!yahhhoooo!
Old November 22nd 04, 06:28 PM
John Everett

On 22 Nov 2004 07:17:08 -0800, (g.daniels, whose
keyboard apparently has a balky "shift" key) wrote:

[...]

Yes, this sometimes works. My touring bike was recently in a vehicle
accident (not while being ridden). The rear wheel was bent. I asked my
LBS to order a replacement rim (Alex DA16), but they found that these
rims aren't available in the US. Rather than have a bike with a mix of
rims I decided to see what could be done with the bent one. Upon
removing the rim I found (no surprise) that it was bent in the shape
of a potato chip. I laid it down on the floor with one of the wobbles
resting on the tubular leg of my work stand, and by judiciously
jumping up and down on the high spots I managed to get it pretty close
to flat again, using my coffee table as a reference surface. New
nipples and a rim strip set me back about $6.00, and I've now put over
100 miles on the rebuilt wheel.

:-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old November 23rd 04, 07:39 PM
Robert

----8----cutting vibrant text

i now have two squares of 1 1/4" chip/formica.protect the formica,
float the chip on tubas.
trued the rim yesterday and itsagonnarunagin!yahhhoooo!

Nicely written G.D. That's the way I feel when I get an impossible bike
repair job done. Thanks for reminding me :-) /Robert

p.s. every time I've flatspotted a ceramic rim, a piece of the coating
has flaked off (Mavic OP Ceramic 32h/622). Twice, now. Next rim will not
be ceramic, for this reason.

Old November 24th 04, 04:25 PM
g.daniels

now! the radial press corrector mod:
a circular insert/sandwich meat cut to yawl's rim inside diameter
placed inside the lateral press previously inscribed can be developed
to press out radial deviations from the perfect circle: the basic 2
way press solves the inherent DIY problem of holding the expletive
deleted rim still in 7 dimensions while going to warp speed.
this is conceptual: i have only tried cutting ply not particle board
and my primitive sears saber saw is not up to it-the blade rides
outward leaving a fairly good cut on the curved line but then wider at
the ply's bottom side.
a router will correct this. i am using 3/4 good both sides and maybe
in the middle.
both tools are bolt mounted on a trammel- steel strap bolted to the
rim circle's center:search to woodworking or cabinet making cutting
circles-trammel.
cut the outside diameter first, then the inside. thought i'd mention
this in passing.
a cabinet shop could do the work but you formica.
the edges can be formica then block plane the formica to less than the
larger surfaces-for possible wear protection. possibly critical on the
six sides of the circle/press 3 sided rectangle section lubeable with
tefloned wax
the more conceptual part-answered by the pro shop people in this
cyberspace-how long a chord should the press section be cut to? like
what's the average dent length in chord measure? i'd guess 12" would
do it.
from the circle, one would cut a 3 sided rectangle with the chorded
circumference on the outer press working surface.
above the junction or rectangular side nearest the circle's center,
the fabricator would cut two '+' cut's wide enough for a slim wrench.
everything up to this point exists for scrounging-
but now we need a 2 section bolt that lengthens when unscrewed
and then the DIY rim press!!

there are such presses in existance, i 'm not the only one on the boat
for sure but... comment is off course encouraged
and suggestions for the bolt?
and off course from those who tried it-does it work?
Old November 27th 04, 04:05 PM
g.daniels

search to: Fixing flat spotted rims ? in bike.tech

Repair Stands Emily Baylor General 12 September 5th 04 06:43 AM
FS: Park Tool Brake Third Hand Tool, $5 shipped Rob Barnes Marketplace 1 June 11th 04 03:11 AM
FA: Campagnolo Freewheel Tool Kit The Ink Company Marketplace 0 September 23rd 03 03:09 AM
mutant cassette lockring tool g.daniels Techniques 4 July 11th 03 04:38 PM