Customizing Campagnolo 10 speed cassettes

Old November 22nd 04, 03:20 PM
Russell Seaton

Default Customizing Campagnolo 10 speed cassettes

Is it possible to take only the 29 tooth cog from a Campagnolo 10
speed cassette and put it onto the last position on a 13-26 Campagnolo
10 speed cassette instead of the 26 cog? I know the last few cogs on
Campagnolo 10 speed cassettes are on spiders. Can you uncouple the
last cog from a spider and put it on another spider? My idea is to
take a 13-26 and 13-29 Campagnolo 10 speed cassette, and use the
13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 cogs from the 13-26 cassette and replace
the 26 with the 29 from another cassette. So it would be
13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-29 as the final configuration. I've seen a
rider with a Moulton bike with a 11-29 Campagnolo 10 speed cassette so
I think something is possible.
Old November 23rd 04, 04:36 AM
Nick Payne

"Russell Seaton" wrote in message
om...
Is it possible to take only the 29 tooth cog from a Campagnolo 10
speed cassette and put it onto the last position on a 13-26 Campagnolo
10 speed cassette instead of the 26 cog? I know the last few cogs on
Campagnolo 10 speed cassettes are on spiders. Can you uncouple the
last cog from a spider and put it on another spider?

Not unless you have some way to a) drill out the existing rivets and b)
replace with new non-protruding rivets. You would also probably have bad
gear changing, in that the top derailleur pulley would have to be far enough
away to clear the 29t cog, which would put it too far away from the cogs
next door which are much smaller.

I've seen a
rider with a Moulton bike with a 11-29 Campagnolo 10 speed cassette so
I think something is possible.

Sounds like they did what I did - on my commuting/touring bike I merged the
small cogs from an 11-23 cassette with the large cogs from a 13-29 to give
11-12-13-15-17-19-21-23-26-29. I did that because a) I found the single
tooth jumps from 13 to 17 were, for most of my riding, too close together,
and I was usually changing across two or three cogs at the back to get the
next gear that I wanted, and b) the chainrings on my crankset are 42-28, so
an 11t cog is quite useable.

Nick Payne

Old November 23rd 04, 03:11 PM
Paul Kopit

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:36:55 +1100, "Nick Payne"
wrote:

Not unless you have some way to a) drill out the existing rivets and b)
replace with new non-protruding rivets.

The 29 on a Veloce cassette is a loose cog.
Old November 23rd 04, 03:39 PM
bfd

wrote:

Not unless you have some way to a) drill out the existing rivets and b)
replace with new non-protruding rivets.

The 29 on a Veloce cassette is a loose cog.

Better yet, all the cogs on the Veloce cassette are loose. And, at about 1/2
the price of the others, its a bargain too!

Old November 23rd 04, 06:19 PM
Russell Seaton

I did not realize all of the cogs were still loose on the 10 speed
Veloce cassettes. Just like the 9 speed. It would be easy to buy
13-26 and 13-29 Veloce 10 speed cassettes and just substitute the 26
on the 13-26 with the 29 from the other cassette. Or maybe its
possible to buy just the 29 cog separately. Maybe from someone or
some shop who has worn out a 13-29 cassette. The middle cogs are
always the ones that wear out, never the biggest or smallest cogs.

This wild idea of mine is looking better and better. I dislike double
compact drivetrains. But I have a possible situation where it might
make sense. Run 44 and 33 chainrings with a
13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-29 10 speed Campagnolo cassette and you
have wonderfully tight and useful gears on the outer ring, and the
bailout 33x29 gear when the road gets really steep.

Now all I need to do is buy the 10 speed shifter disc for my 2003
Centaur shifter, the Veloce 10 speed cassette and additional 29 tooth
cog, the 110 mm bcd crankset, and the 33 and 44 chainrings. It might
take quite a bit of time and wasteful spending to get this
accomplished. But at least I know wonderful Campagnolo has the
gearing I want if I become crazy enough to implement my idea.

(Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message ...
russel- Is it possible to take only the 29 tooth cog from a Campagnolo 10
speed cassette and put it onto the last position on a 13-26 Campagnolo
10 speed cassette instead of the 26 cog? I know the last few cogs on
Campagnolo 10 speed cassettes are on spiders. BRBR

I answer-Veloce 10s cogsets are all loose. With a spacer, and a Veloce cogset,
you can add a 29t and take an interior cog out.

You can also add an 11t and lockring to the loose 13-29, and take out an
interior cog. Shifting, particularly under load 'may' suffer but shift bigger
cog twice, smaller once works.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old November 24th 04, 02:35 AM
Russell Seaton

Paul Kopit wrote in message . ..
On 23 Nov 2004 10:19:55 -0800, (Russell
Seaton) wrote:

Now all I need to do is buy the 10 speed shifter disc for my 2003
Centaur shifter, the Veloce 10 speed cassette and additional 29 tooth
cog, the 110 mm bcd crankset, and the 33 and 44 chainrings. It might
take quite a bit of time and wasteful spending to get this
accomplished. But at least I know wonderful Campagnolo has the
gearing I want if I become crazy enough to implement my idea.

Why don't you just buy a 9sp 13/28?

I have a customized 9 speed 13-28 Campagnolo cassette. The
13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23 from a 13-26 cassette and the QBP 28 tooth cog
in place of the 26 cog. Its a pretty wonderful cassette for my 53-42
crankset. And when I put a 39 inner ring on for hilly terrain its
also very good. Except I hate riding the 39 ring. My 13-28 paired
with a 52-42-30 triple crankset is ideal for mountainous riding.
Although I'll put on a 26 or 28 inner ring the next time I get to the
mountains.

The only thing I dislike about my cusotm 13-28 cassette is the gap
between the 17 and 19 cogs when using the 42 ring. You have to go to
a 13-23 9 speed or a 13-26 10 speed to get a straight block from 13
through 19. This works wonderfully with a 42 ring. Or a 44 or 46
ring too. But going with a 13-23 9 speed or 13-26 10 speed cassette
to get the 18 cog, means you have to give up the 28 cog on a 9 speed
cassette or 29 cog on a 10 speed cassette. I want the 28 or 29 big
cog AND the 18 cog. I'm greedy.

The 44-33 rings with 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-29 10 speed cassette
would give me my preferred riding gears of the 44 with 13-19 straight
block and the super low 33x29 gear too. This would only be for a
special, very hilly, almost mountainous, ride I am considering. Where
money is a fairly low priority. And I can rationalize almost anything
for this.
Old November 24th 04, 02:06 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

russel- Now all I need to do is buy the 10 speed shifter disc for my 2003
Centaur shifter BRBR

I answer-"must not be 2003, Centaur was 10s in 2003 and 2002...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 24th 04, 07:26 PM
Russell Seaton

(Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message ...
russel- Now all I need to do is buy the 10 speed shifter disc for my 2003
Centaur shifter BRBR

I answer-"must not be 2003, Centaur was 10s in 2003 and 2002...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

I bought them in the spring of 2003. I thought Centaur was 9 and 10
speed for a couple years, just like Record and Chorus. I'll check the
box to see if they list a manufacture date. I think my Centaur front
and rear derailleurs and triple crankset also say 9 speed on the silk
screened label. All bought early to mid 2003.