Chain alignment friction losses

Old June 21st 19, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Chain alignment friction losses

On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 8:19:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/17/2019 11:55 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 8:27:48 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 10:02:05 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 1:07:11 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.06.2019 um 01:21 schrieb John B.:
As an aside, 250 watts is probably as high, or perhaps higher, than
the usual recreational cyclist normally produces.

My health insurance says 2 watts per kilogram body mass is a healthy,
above average value. So a normal recreational cyclist is likely to have
a sustained output on the order of 100W (typical female, 50kg) to 150W
(typical male, 75kg).

Rolf

I'm nearly 75 and 6'4" and have fattened up to 190 lbs with something of a small roll around my middle and can sustain 350 watts for over 10 minutes and a continuous 250 watts. Since everyone on two wheels seems faster than me I have to wonder about that claim.

Holy ****, I'm not cycling with you. Never mind the 350W: I can do that briefly, but 250W continuous... the very attempt would kill most men my age that I know. I'd probably survive, because I'm a lifelong endurance athlete, but my therapists and my cardio would dump on me from a dizzy height because they don't want me to exceed 80 per cent of max heart rate more than momentarily.

AJ
I'm faster than anybody, downhill that is

I just recalculated and it is more like 218 watts on a good day. And this is a 20 km distance. Continuous power normally now is only 100 watts. But as I say, everyone and their dog is faster than I am. I did do 20 K in 20 minutes into a 20 mph headwind last year. But it looks like if I do not train for even one month I can't get that level back again.

The problem appears to be such a hell of a large difference from two years ago and now. If I use the figures out of my log from then and compare them to now it's shocking. Do you suppose that it was from being competitive with my friend who has since moved to Phoenix? Or just natural aging? But such a large difference in two years seems pretty strange to me. I would have thought that I would see a gradual decline instead of a sharp drop.

For many years, I occasionally rode with a tough guy who was over 20
years older than me. I was faster than him, but not by much.

But I recall about the time he hit 70 or so, he told me "I just can't
get into shape this year!" For him, it was a sharp drop.

The good news is the guy is now in his mid-90s, he's still healthy, and
while he now rides slow, he's still riding.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I made a T-shirt with an old guy carrying a CX bike and beneath it there are words that say, "I may be old but at least I'm slow". That doesn't make sense to many people but the old guys know that being slow is one hell of a lot better than being stopped.

I also notice another thing - I don't have any Vastus Medialus anymore. These used to be oversized and very hard. You use these climbing so I assume this is why a snail in a hurry can beat me up a hill.