Shimano Tiagra Shifter set

Old May 2nd 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Shimano Tiagra Shifter set

Since we moved to the mountains I have find that my old down tube
shifters to be a bit less than effective so I bought a set of Tiagra
10 speed shifters, cassette and new chain.

Anyway, in the "kit " were two little things that looked like cable
casing ends except that they had a tiny little extension sort of like
_____-
_____ ------
the "ends" were just large enough that a shift cable could be inserted
but too small for a brake cable.

The Shift cables were already fitted in the shifters and the three
shift cable outers had small black (maybe plastic) cable ends
installed on all ends. The two brake cable outers were too large to
fit into the above mentioned "things" and there were metal cable ends
to fit the brake cable outers included in the kit.

What were those two little "things" for?

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 2nd 19, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/1/2019 6:26 PM, John B. wrote:

Since we moved to the mountains I have find that my old down tube
shifters to be a bit less than effective so I bought a set of Tiagra
10 speed shifters, cassette and new chain.

Anyway, in the "kit " were two little things that looked like cable
casing ends except that they had a tiny little extension sort of like
_____-
_____ ------
the "ends" were just large enough that a shift cable could be inserted
but too small for a brake cable.

The Shift cables were already fitted in the shifters and the three
shift cable outers had small black (maybe plastic) cable ends
installed on all ends. The two brake cable outers were too large to
fit into the above mentioned "things" and there were metal cable ends
to fit the brake cable outers included in the kit.

What were those two little "things" for?

The Shimano 'looks like it might keep debris out of the
casing' rubber nipple.

https://bike-advisor.com/wp-content/...railleur_1.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 2nd 19, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 01 May 2019 18:34:05 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/1/2019 6:26 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Good Lord! One simply doesn't use a Tiagra shifter with a Dura Ace
derailer. It just isn't done, old chap. :-)

See https://tinyurl.com/y67xsx8x
for a photo, but no explanations. For whatever reason I assumed that
it was for the shifter end of the shift cable housing and installed
them. They worked, but likely had I used the small black ends which
came on the cables they would have worked also :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 2nd 19, 08:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 5/1/2019 6:26 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Further to the above. I found a copy of the Shimano DM-ST0002-05,
Dealer's Manual and the funny looking cable ends are for the lever end
of the cable housing AND there "caps with long tongue", "caps with
short tongue" and "normal outer caps", with no tongues, depending on
the model number of your shifter.

I have no idea why the different cable ends but it is probably worth
while downloading a copy of the Dealer's Manual if you plan on
changing cables.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 2nd 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 2/5/19 9:34 am, AMuzi wrote:

The Shimano 'looks like it might keep debris out of the casing' rubber
nipple.

https://bike-advisor.com/wp-content/...railleur_1.jpg

I recently replaced my Campagnolo gear and brake cables, after the steel
wire in the housings had rusted, and in the new cable kit there was a
similar rubber piece. I worked out to install it at the frame end of
the short cable outer that leads to the rear derailleur. Whether it
will have any noticeable effect is yet to be determined.

In other news, yesterday I rode my gravel bike around a 102km circuit,
with about 40km of gravel "road" through a sub tropical rainforest. The
road was rough, slippery and wet. There was nearly 2000m vertical of
climbing, and despite nearly 60km on bitumen where I rode at over
30km/h, my average speed was just 21km/h for the entire ride.

There were long descents over rough slippery roads, where I had the
brakes on continuously. I was thankful for the mechanical disc brakes
on my bike. They worked flawlessly and did not need adjustment, and the
rims are still like new.

I recorded the call of a cat bird on my phone, and photographed a small
(1.2m) python curled up on the edge of the road, before I encouraged it
to slither away.

--
JS
Old May 3rd 19, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/2/2019 6:21 PM, James wrote:

I recorded the call of a cat bird on my phone, and photographed a small
(1.2m) python curled up on the edge of the road, before I encouraged it
to slither away.

I wondered if your catbird is the same as the one we have. But then I
remembered Google says we're no longer allowed to wonder.

Yours is apparently green: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_catbird

Ours is gray: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_catbird
and is a wonderful singer, in addition to its cat-like call.

I heard one on today's club ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 3rd 19, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/2/2019 4:22 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/2/2019 6:21 PM, James wrote:

I recorded the call of a cat bird on my phone, and photographed a
small (1.2m) python curled up on the edge of the road, before I
encouraged it to slither away.

I wondered if your catbird is the same as the one we have. But then I
remembered Google says we're no longer allowed to wonder.

Yours is apparently green: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_catbird

Ours is gray: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_catbird
and is a wonderful singer, in addition to its cat-like call.

I heard one on today's club ride.

Yes, but where are they seated?

Mark J.
Old May 3rd 19, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/2/2019 6:21 PM, James wrote:

I recorded the call of a cat bird on my phone, and photographed a
small (1.2m) python curled up on the edge of the road, before I
encouraged it to slither away.

I wondered if your catbird is the same as the one we have. But then I
remembered Google says we're no longer allowed to wonder.

Yours is apparently green: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_catbird

Ours is gray: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_catbird
and is a wonderful singer, in addition to its cat-like call.

I heard one on today's club ride.

Yes, but where are they seated?

Oh, I'm sure mine had a really good seat!

--
- Frank Krygowski