plastic sunglass frame

Old November 5th 05, 07:56 PM
Hunter

Default plastic sunglass frame

I hope someone hear can help.

I have a pair of Vuarnet sunglasses that use a plastic frame (may be
nylon, not certain). I need to change the lenses. I have new lenses.

Does anyone know how much heat I need to soften the frame? Is a hair
dryer too much, too little?

I appreciate any suggestions on how best to do this.

Thanks.

//Hunter

Old November 5th 05, 10:20 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Hunter" wrote: (clip) Does anyone know how much heat I need to soften the
frame? Is a hair dryer too much, too little? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last time I had something like this done, they dipped the frames/lenses in a
pan of hat sand (I think it was). I don't knopw the temperature, but i can
see that this would provide uniform heating. I am afraid that a hair dryer
might heat them unevenly, possibly causing the frames to become stretched
out of shape, or possibly even crack the lenses.

Suggest you find an old pair of glasses, and experiment. You could heat the
sand on a stove top, and stir it. I think that when it starts to become too
hot to touch is about right.

Old November 5th 05, 10:44 PM
Pat

I heat a bowl of water in the microwave oven, and then dip the glasses into
the water for about 20 seconds. It softens the plastic uniformly.

Pat in TX

Old November 6th 05, 12:33 AM
Hunter

Pat wrote:
I heat a bowl of water in the microwave oven, and then dip the glasses into
the water for about 20 seconds. It softens the plastic uniformly.

Pat in TX

Thanks Pat in TX. I'll try the microwaved water. Sand doesn't sound
good considering I need to take the good lenses out of another frame
first.

About a minute on high, or should I get it close to boil temp?

//Hunter

Old November 6th 05, 01:12 AM

The sand is actually glass beads. Just hold them under hot water. You
do have to be careful not to warp the frame and lenses.
If you are in a "nice" town the opticians will change them for you at
no charge; sort of a good will gesture.

Old November 10th 05, 02:29 AM
Llatikcuf

Leo Lichtman wrote:
....they dipped the frames/lenses in a pan of hat sand (I think it was).

Wow! where does hat sand come from?