Mountain Bike to Road Bike

Old November 10th 05, 03:01 PM
Werehatrack

Default Mountain Bike to Road Bike

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 04:56:03 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
wrote:

Ron Ruff wrote:
Barlaw wrote:
I have the tires, handle bars and seat sorted out, but I need to
know how to replace the Judy Race front fork with a rigid carbon
fiber front fork. I need the existing XTR caliper brakes to mount
on the new forks and, ideally, I need to find a relatively
inexpensive replacement fork. If anyone knows how to do this, I
would greatly appreciate your assistance.

I'd recommend a Tange cromoly fork for $50, some long L-shaped
barends, a good set of 1.25" tires, and maybe a closer range cluster.
You'd lose very little speed compared to your road bike.

Bingo. Just get a rigid mountain bike fork (suspension corrected); why on
earth would anyone want a carbon fork with fat(ish) tires?!?

Because they know that carbon forks are a hit with the girls? (It's
the go-faster-stripes thing; it doesn't have to make sense, it just
has to sell.)

I think carbon's been hyped to the point that a lot of people think
nothing else is any good. (Which is, of course, quite far from the
truth for the majority of riders.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 10th 05, 03:56 PM
Lou Holtman

wrote in message
ups.com...

dvt wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=433

Not cheap though.

But about half the list price of the Winwood posted earlier. And it has
a fork length that looks a bit more appropriate, based on comparison to
other suspension corrected rigid forks.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

It appears that Pace carbon fork is disc brake only, not
cantilevers/V-brakes. So it would not work for the question asker's
XTR brakes.

You can buy separate adapters for cantilevers/V-brakes.

Lou

Old November 10th 05, 03:57 PM
Lou Holtman

wrote in message
ups.com...

dvt wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=433

Not cheap though.

But about half the list price of the Winwood posted earlier. And it has
a fork length that looks a bit more appropriate, based on comparison to
other suspension corrected rigid forks.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

It appears that Pace carbon fork is disc brake only, not
cantilevers/V-brakes. So it would not work for the question asker's
XTR brakes.

Sorry I forgot the link

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=3&subcat=439

Lou

Old November 10th 05, 05:32 PM
StaceyJ

Barlaw wrote:
This might seem like heresy, but I have given up mountain biking for road
riding. I have a very nice road bike (OLMO Dynamic Plus), and I do not want
to use it over the winter months, which are very wet here in Vancouver.
Therefore, I propose to convert my Specialized Stumpjumper M2 into a winter
road bike. I have the tires, handle bars and seat sorted out, but I need to
know how to replace the Judy Race front fork with a rigid carbon fiber front
fork. I need the existing XTR caliper brakes to mount on the new forks and,
ideally, I need to find a relatively inexpensive replacement fork. If
anyone knows how to do this, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

If you're thinking carbon for the lightness, I'd recommend going with
Aluminum instead. You won't sacrifice much in the way of weight, and
you'll no doubt save a bundle. If you're thinking that the ride
quality will be dramatically better, think again (especially with fat
tires). If you want a squshier ride, drop 5-10lbs of pressure from
your tires. Back to forks...Kinesis makes some cheapie alu forks for
around $100 or so. You may also want to visit your friendly
neighborhood Cannondale shop and see if they have any old Pepperoni
take-offs (what I'm currently using on my frankenbike CX/Winter road
machine). They weigh a bit over a pound, and come with a removable
cable stop (if you want to use cantis instead of V-brakes to go with
your road levers).

Old November 10th 05, 05:32 PM
Barlaw

First of all, thanks for all of the help and suggestions. For those of you
that think that carbon fiber is not the right way forward, I am a convert.
(BTW, I have the 26 x 1.25 panaracer 100PSI tires on the bike now).

Having said that, I am still having trouble with the technical aspect of the
swap. Rockshox has no detail on their website about the Judy Race model. I
am not clear on the threadless / threaded issue (although I think that the
Judy Race is threadless, so I presume that the new shock should be
threadless as well?), or the question of the axle-to-crown distance issue.
Moreover, I am not sure whether I will be able to swap the Judy Race fork
back in, if I wanted to at some later date.

Finally, on the "suspension corrected" issue, I know that I can get the
Tange Ridged Fork for $43.00 (US), and that it comes in a "suspension
corrected" model, but is this the right one for this application? If anyone
has the patients and expertise, I would be happy if they would check out
http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=319&page=1 , and
help answer some of these questions for me. Thanks!

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old November 10th 05, 06:28 PM
John Everett

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:42:20 +0100, "Lou Holtman"
wrote:

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
roups.com...

No such animal as a 26inch carbon rigid fork for a MTB..Lots of steel
and aluminum but no carbon.

Huh..? How about the Pace RC31X Country.

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=433

Not cheap though.

Impressive that among the characteristics listed under
"Specifications" is "Totally Cool". ;-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old November 10th 05, 09:42 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:01:57 GMT, "Barlaw"
wrote:

Therefore, I propose to convert my Specialized Stumpjumper M2 into a winter
road bike. I have the tires, handle bars and seat sorted out, but I need to
know how to replace the Judy Race front fork with a rigid carbon fiber front
fork. I need the existing XTR caliper brakes to mount on the new forks and,
ideally, I need to find a relatively inexpensive replacement fork. If
anyone knows how to do this, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

I don't think cantilever bosses and carbon forks are a particularly happy
combination. Just get a steel one. Even with the mods, your stumpjumper's
gonna be heavier than a real road bike, so why worry about a few ounces
there?

Jasper