Which Panniers on Your HP Velo SMGT(e)?

Old February 20th 06, 10:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Which Panniers on Your HP Velo SMGT(e)?

NYC XYZ wrote:
Thanks again for the advice. Hmm, I wonder why HP's bags cost so much
more than the same ones, really, direct from the manufacturer?

They have a nice logo and you can buy them with the bike is my guess...
Maybe there are some extra bits done for HPVel, I'm not sure.

I'll really only be taking along the day's office attire...I suppose
having rear rack bags on either side isn't too much, even for that.

Why bother with panniers at all? You can get what you need in a
rack-pack or a seat bag and either will be completely out of the
airstream behind the seat and/or your head. Ortlieb do a nice
quick-release rack pack and Radical do seat bags. Either mount and
dismount very easily.

I'm still a bit nervous about just how low the underseat rack hangs!

I've yet to ground out the luggage, I did catch the propstand while
riding a daft off-road track behind some sand dunes once, but for the
most part you can rest assured they're well tested. You have more
ground clearance than typical pedals on DFs at 6 o'clock.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old February 20th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Clinch wrote:

They have a nice logo and you can buy them with the bike is my guess...
Maybe there are some extra bits done for HPVel, I'm not sure.

That's what I'm wondering -- but no mention is made of any special
features...as a matter of fact, their description reads almost like a
cut-n-paste of Radical's own specs! And who wants purple, anyway??
Something bright should do -- which makes me wonder why there aren't
any flourescent/neon colors available....

Why bother with panniers at all? You can get what you need in a
rack-pack or a seat bag and either will be completely out of the
airstream behind the seat and/or your head. Ortlieb do a nice
quick-release rack pack and Radical do seat bags. Either mount and
dismount very easily.

I didn't want to fold and scrunch up my clothes -- you know, suit and
tie and so forth; otherwise I could just carry them along in a regular
backpack!

I've yet to ground out the luggage, I did catch the propstand while
riding a daft off-road track behind some sand dunes once, but for the
most part you can rest assured they're well tested. You have more
ground clearance than typical pedals on DFs at 6 o'clock.

Ah, yes, I'd only just thought of that myself, staring at the DF on the
wall! I'm scheduled to pick up my SMGTe mid-to-late March, and I'm
thinking of a million and one things to get in addition.

BTW, how fast can you go on your SMGT, and for how long? Curious. I
don't remember the 'bent being any different than an upwrong where
speed's concerned, though I wasn't at no velodrome, after all. I
understand there are "issues" or possible issues with hills and keeping
up with many a wedgie, but I always figured it to be mostly up to the
rider, as with any other bike. Yet, the local 'bent riders don't seem
to do more than ~15mph on average! Though they also seem to all be
middle-aged-and-above chubby types, too.... =)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Which Panniers on Your HP Velo SMGT(e)? NYC XYZ General 13 March 3rd 06 06:21 AM
re; racks for panniers DJ Australia 1 October 1st 04 12:00 AM
Karrimor EH20 Waterproof Panniers - Global Sarennah UK 3 January 15th 04 04:40 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM