Fiber Fix Spokes

Old July 21st 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bktourer1

Default Fiber Fix Spokes

I just found after carrying a Fiber Fix Spoke for some time, you can't
use it if you still have a plactic spoke protector behind your
freewheel, there is not enough clearance for the end of the kevlar
cord to go through the hub. This may no be the case on all bikes, but
it is on mine.
Others may want to check before they hit the road. This was something
I never thought of before and to my dismay, I found out this morning.
Will be taking the plate off when I do change the spoke today.

Old July 21st 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

bktourer1 wrote:
I just found after carrying a Fiber Fix Spoke for some time, you can't
use it if you still have a plactic spoke protector behind your
freewheel, there is not enough clearance for the end of the kevlar
cord to go through the hub. This may no be the case on all bikes, but
it is on mine.
Others may want to check before they hit the road. This was something
I never thought of before and to my dismay, I found out this morning.
Will be taking the plate off when I do change the spoke today.

Couldn't you have just removed the thing on the roadside today? Most can be
simply broken off, if necessary. (Chain-breaker or multi-tool should have
something to use, too.)

Still, good tip. I take ALL the plastic stuff off my bikes first thing...

Old July 21st 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bill Sornson wrote:
bktourer1 wrote:
I just found after carrying a Fiber Fix Spoke for some time, you can't
use it if you still have a plactic spoke protector behind your
freewheel, there is not enough clearance for the end of the kevlar
cord to go through the hub. This may no be the case on all bikes, but
it is on mine.
Others may want to check before they hit the road. This was something
I never thought of before and to my dismay, I found out this morning.
Will be taking the plate off when I do change the spoke today.

Couldn't you have just removed the thing on the roadside today? Most can be
simply broken off, if necessary. (Chain-breaker or multi-tool should have
something to use, too.)

Still, good tip. I take ALL the plastic stuff off my bikes first thing...

But....I thought you had a CFRP bike(?)

Old July 22nd 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee, Squid

Bill Sornson wrote:
bktourer1 wrote:
I just found after carrying a Fiber Fix Spoke for some time, you
can't use it if you still have a plactic spoke protector behind your
freewheel, there is not enough clearance for the end of the kevlar
cord to go through the hub. This may no be the case on all bikes,
but it is on mine.
Others may want to check before they hit the road. This was
something I never thought of before and to my dismay, I found out
this morning. Will be taking the plate off when I do change the
spoke today.

Couldn't you have just removed the thing on the roadside today? Most
can be simply broken off, if necessary. (Chain-breaker or multi-tool
should have something to use, too.)

New bikes with new spoke protectors are impossible to break off. If it is
yellowed or already cracked, it's pretty easy to break.

--
Phil Lee, Squid

Old July 22nd 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:

New bikes with new spoke protectors are impossible to break off.

Even if you have a dime or a multi-tool? I thought you either use a thin
blade to "unscrew" the plastic fastener thing; or stick something in there
and break the prong things. (Sorry to be so technical!)

Anyway, OP was a good reminder for people to remove those things if they
plan on replacing a spoke or using one of those Kevlar thi--- err,
whatchamacallits.

Old July 22nd 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee, Squid

Bill Sornson wrote:
Phil Lee, Squid wrote:

New bikes with new spoke protectors are impossible to break off.

Even if you have a dime or a multi-tool? I thought you either use a
thin blade to "unscrew" the plastic fastener thing; or stick
something in there and break the prong things. (Sorry to be so
technical!)

You're speaking of reflectors, which are easy. I'm talking about spoke
protectors behind the cassette.

Anyway, OP was a good reminder for people to remove those things if
they plan on replacing a spoke or using one of those Kevlar thi---
err, whatchamacallits.

The chances of getting a "borken" spoke on a reflector spoke are slim.
Reflectors can help keep you visible if you're riding at dusk, night, or
dawn.

--
Phil Lee, Squid

Old July 22nd 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
Phil Lee, Squid wrote:

New bikes with new spoke protectors are impossible to break off.

Even if you have a dime or a multi-tool? I thought you either use a
thin blade to "unscrew" the plastic fastener thing; or stick
something in there and break the prong things. (Sorry to be so
technical!)

You're speaking of reflectors, which are easy. I'm talking about
spoke protectors behind the cassette.

No, I mean the plastic "plate things" behind the cassette. The old ones, at
least, attached to the spokes with prongs and/or button-type fasteners.

How do you take them off at home or in the shop?

Anyway, OP was a good reminder for people to remove those things if
they plan on replacing a spoke or using one of those Kevlar thi---
err, whatchamacallits.

The chances of getting a "borken" spoke on a reflector spoke are slim.
Reflectors can help keep you visible if you're riding at dusk, night,
or dawn.

Totally lost me re. the spoke/reflector reference. I take off reflectors
because they're dorky (dead Fred giveaway); if I ride at night I light it up
with a HID and a blinky. (I'd probably leave them on a cruiser or town
bike, but not a roadie or mtb.)

It's all about looking COOL, Squid!