Sprucing up Campy Record Profit pedals?

Old July 22nd 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Colin Campbell

Default Sprucing up Campy Record Profit pedals?

I have about four years and probably over 35,000 km on these pedals.
The left one shows a few marks, but the right pedal has a lot of
blemishes. I've had the right pedal rebuilt, and both are working just
fine.

Is it reasonable to do anything to these pedals to improve their looks,
and, if so, what is the technique - painting, polishing, or ??
Old July 22nd 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:39:22 -0700, Colin Campbell
wrote:

I have about four years and probably over 35,000 km on these pedals.
The left one shows a few marks, but the right pedal has a lot of
blemishes. I've had the right pedal rebuilt, and both are working just
fine.

Is it reasonable to do anything to these pedals to improve their looks,
and, if so, what is the technique - painting, polishing, or ??

Dear Colin,

Stage actors used to black the soles of their shoes to avoid
disturbing the illusions of the front row audience, whose eyes were
low enough and close enough to be distracted by the unexpected view of
the underbelly of the cobbler's art.

But few people will ever bother to ogle your blemished pedals. Even in
this picture, shamelessly stolen from RBR because it's so striking, no
one is looking at the rider's fully exposed pedal:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20.../qinghai066/17
or http://tinyurl.com/qyoa8

Possibly the support car attacked him because it was provoked by the
odd tan color of his tires, somewhat like a bull charging a red
handkerchief.

Anyway, it's not terribly reasonable to worry about improving the
looks of your pedals, but I expect that someone will along shortly to
give sound advice about how to do it.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old July 22nd 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee, Squid

wrote:

[...]

Hmm... check this out:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20.../qinghai066/20

Did anyone think that maybe the front wheel's spokes were tensioned "as high
as the rim could bear?"
--
Phil Lee, Squid

Old July 22nd 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:

[...]

starting the photo sequence here might put that more into context:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20.../qinghai066/14

that wheel's been run over by a car. warning: contains painful images
of rider injury.
Old July 22nd 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

wrote:

[...]

Ouch! How about a caption? "Get off! You'll be DQ'd if the ref catches
you hanging on."
Old July 22nd 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:44:07 -0700, jim beam
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Looks like he survived:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20.../qinghai066/19
Old July 22nd 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

wrote:

starting the photo sequence here might put that more into context:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...p?id=/photos/2
006/jul06/qinghai06/qinghai066/14

that wheel's been run over by a car. warning: contains painful images
of rider injury.

Looks like he survived:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...?id=/photos/20
06/jul06/qinghai06/qinghai066/19

If you can call that living...

Old July 22nd 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Memo. If you're in the car at a feed and a rider falls, do NOT try to catch and
hold him. He will define a tractrix curve as you pull him into the car.

Ron
Old July 23rd 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Colin Campbell

Colin Campbell wrote:
I have about four years and probably over 35,000 km on these pedals.
The left one shows a few marks, but the right pedal has a lot of
blemishes. I've had the right pedal rebuilt, and both are working
just fine.

Is it reasonable to do anything to these pedals to improve their
looks, and, if so, what is the technique - painting, polishing, or ??

Well, that thread certainly got hijacked!
Old July 23rd 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:27:17 -0700, Colin Campbell
wrote:

Colin Campbell wrote:
I have about four years and probably over 35,000 km on these pedals.
The left one shows a few marks, but the right pedal has a lot of
blemishes. I've had the right pedal rebuilt, and both are working
just fine.

Is it reasonable to do anything to these pedals to improve their
looks, and, if so, what is the technique - painting, polishing, or ??

Well, that thread certainly got hijacked!

Dear Colin,

Well, yes . . .

But your original topic didn't really put up much of a struggle
against the ruthless highwaymen of RBT.

So I'll amplify my answer:

No, it's probably not reasonable to worry about improving the looks of
4-year old pedals that have been largely hidden by your shoes for
22,000 miles.

And I still hope that someone will be along soon to explain how you
could best refinish and repaint the blemishes.

If it's any comfort, no one showed any interest in the fascinating
topic of theatrical footwear. They just snapped at the pictures of a
bicycle crash like bullfrogs lunging at bits of red flannel.

In fact, they'll probably enjoy this one, too:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006...hneider-25.jpg

There we see rat-trap pedals shown at eye-level or above, unobscured
by any shoes. It's unlikely that the rider was worried about whether
anyone noticed the blemishes on his faithful pedals.

"My feet ARE big! It's the movies that got small!"

Cheers,

Herschel Schmoeckel Krustofsky

Laff at me Steve Racing 10 October 14th 05 03:02 AM
Campy Record Profit Pedal Fiasco - Advice Sought on Unintended Consequences - Peter??? me Techniques 5 September 25th 05 11:10 PM
Record profit for Oil corp. [email protected] General 7 August 1st 05 03:27 AM
FS: Deda Magic Stem 12cm; Brand new Campy ProFit plus pedals threefire Marketplace 0 February 25th 05 03:27 PM
Campy "Record" What's the Proper Pronunciation? Kenny General 11 January 26th 05 11:59 AM