Ergo vs. Sweat

Old July 23rd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
H. Guy

Default Ergo vs. Sweat

am i the only one dealing with this problem? on every
set of ergos i've ever owned, the left thumb lever's
pivot starts to rust about the day i install it. i try
to hit it with a dab of oil every week (okay, every
couple of weeks) but eventually it freezes up on me,
and from that point forward it's a weekly ritual of
flushing it with wd-40, working it until it's moving
again and then oiling it.

the thing is, i never have this problem with the right
lever, though that's probably because i use it constantly.

is this a design flaw, or is it possible that i'm just
more toxic than campy's average user? while this is my
only *functional* problem with the levers, i have to admit
that the levers themselves are so badly corroded from
sweat that "chorus" has completely disappeared. i never
used to have this problem with my old modolos (which
were painted) or even my old "bare metal" campys.
Old July 23rd 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark

H. Guy wrote:

[...]

Wow. I have plentiful, corrosive sweat, and haven't had this problem
with Ergos (either Veloce or Chorus). Then again, I haven't corroded
off the labels, either (but I wreak havoc on metal eyeglass frames).

Mark

Old July 23rd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:59:50 -0700, Mark
wrote:

H. Guy wrote:

[...]

Dig it. I destroy the frames and chew up guitar parts something awful. The campy
holds up. The only problem I ever have is wrapping bar tape and having a bit,
and it only takes the tiniest bit, touch the downshift lever. That'll keep the
whole thing from shifting.

Ron
Old July 23rd 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barnard Frederick

H. Guy says...

am i the only one dealing with this problem? on every
set of ergos i've ever owned, the left thumb lever's
pivot starts to rust about the day i install it.

If you ride in the rain a lot, that may be your problem instead of
sweat. If you are sure it is sweat, try wearing wristbands and/or
gloves. That's what they are for.
Old July 23rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

H. Guy wrote:
[...]

Design flaw, that they use steel and you sweat so much??

Try some wrist bands, like the baseball guys use, to soak up all the
stuff that comes off your left hand.

Old July 23rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
H. Guy

In article .com,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote:

am i the only one dealing with this problem? on every
set of ergos i've ever owned, the left thumb lever's
pivot starts to rust about the day i install it. i try

is this a design flaw, or is it possible that i'm just
more toxic than campy's average user? while this is my

Design flaw, that they use steel and you sweat so much??

okay, i'll concede that half the design flaw is on god's
shoulders. but if i go to hell for this i'm naming names.
yours, for example.

it just seems that the problem could have been solved by
letting that nice, strong, rustable pivot ride between
nice plastic bushings. but then, if i am the only person
in the entire universe that this has happened to, then
it's obvious that i should never have made it off the
assembly line.

Try some wrist bands, like the baseball guys use, to soak up all the
stuff that comes off your left hand.

i hate baseball. baseball ruined my marriage and killed
my dog.
Old July 23rd 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

H. Guy wrote:
am i the only one dealing with this problem? on every
set of ergos i've ever owned, the left thumb lever's
pivot starts to rust about the day i install it.

The movie 'Alien' was your autobiography.