Remove Ultegra 6600 front clamp for braze-on?

Old January 8th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Default Remove Ultegra 6600 front clamp for braze-on?

I'm building up a new bike and, after some minor thrills, spills, and
chills, this is the last bit before I can start adjusting cable and
take her out for a shakedown.....

I've got an Ultegra 10 speed, double, 31.8mm clamp-on front derailleur
and a frame with a braze-on mount.

Via craigslist, I was trying to swap the clamp version for a braze-on
version. Someone told me that the clamp can be unbolted from the derr,
and the derr can then be bolted into the braze-on mount.

I don't have the derr in my grubby fingers, but is this true? That
would be some happy news....

Scott

ps: If not, anybody wanna trade?

Old January 8th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Scott Gordo wrote:

I've got an Ultegra 10 speed, double, 31.8mm clamp-on front derailleur
and a frame with a braze-on mount.

Via craigslist, I was trying to swap the clamp version for a braze-on
version. Someone told me that the clamp can be unbolted from the derr,
and the derr can then be bolted into the braze-on mount.

Shimano (and many others) do a separate clamp you can fit a braze-on
derailleur to. Slightly heavier perhaps, but it makes inventory (and
swapping frames when your lightweight wonder wasn't such a great idea
after all ) much easier

Your version seems to be the one with a fixed clamp so you're out of luck
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old January 8th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

M-gineering wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

I've got an Ultegra 10 speed, double, 31.8mm clamp-on front derailleur
and a frame with a braze-on mount.

Via craigslist, I was trying to swap the clamp version for a braze-on
version. Someone told me that the clamp can be unbolted from the derr,
and the derr can then be bolted into the braze-on mount.

Shimano (and many others) do a separate clamp you can fit a braze-on
derailleur to. Slightly heavier perhaps, but it makes inventory (and
swapping frames when your lightweight wonder wasn't such a great idea
after all ) much easier

Your version seems to be the one with a fixed clamp so you're out of luck
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Dang! Ran all the way home and found that it was indeed one piece of
forged aluminum riveted to the hanger. Bummer.

/s

Old January 11th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
WTB-54cm-ritchey

Next time, ride home - it's a lot easier and it'll be less
diappointing.

Old January 11th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Scott Gordo wrote:
I'm building up a new bike and, after some minor thrills, spills, and
chills, this is the last bit before I can start adjusting cable and
take her out for a shakedown.....

I've got an Ultegra 10 speed, double, 31.8mm clamp-on front derailleur
and a frame with a braze-on mount.

Via craigslist, I was trying to swap the clamp version for a braze-on
version. Someone told me that the clamp can be unbolted from the derr,
and the derr can then be bolted into the braze-on mount.

I don't have the derr in my grubby fingers, but is this true? That
would be some happy news....

Scott

ps: If not, anybody wanna trade?

True for 6500, not sure about the 6600..

Old January 11th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Scott Gordo wrote:
M-gineering wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

[...]

Too bad. Another step backwards. I think all FDs ought to be brazeon,
then use an appropriate clamp..Like I do now...thanks to Andy Muzi.
Lots easier to have brazeon Fds and clamps than trying to have all the
clamp sized Fds.