Derailleurs for FSA compact double and Ultegra STI

Old January 4th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Default Derailleurs for FSA compact double and Ultegra STI

Doug Taylor wrote:
On 3 Jan 2007 05:26:59 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

Compact FD not "necessary," but may work better than a Shimano 6500
with Ultegra levers. Having used all kinds of different lever/FD
combos with my 50/34 compact, I like a FSA C-16. Comparably priced,
so why not go for the compact specific?

Because in the dozen or so I have installed, not necessary. 6500 one
works great.

I don't own a bike shop, but my experience is quite different.
Shifting with Ultegra levers and Ultegra FD is noticeably slow and
sluggish going up from 34 to 50 now matter how cable tension or limits
are adjusted. But YMMV.

Oh, and probably no point in recommending installing a chain stopper
to avoid dropping the chain into the bottom bracket when shifting down
from 50 to 34: I'm sure you'll have a smug comeback to that as well.

What's yer problem? I'm not looking for an argument, just my
experience. OBTW-the 'standard' FD for shimano compact, which IS 50/34,
is their standard for double FD.

Also, your cassette choice will give you gear ratios substantially
similar to a 12-25 with 53/39. So in that case, why go compact up
front at all?

Actually 50/34 and 11-23 gives a higher high and a lower low gear than
53/39-12/25 combo. Close but actually wider.

No duh. I can actually do math. I said "substantially" similar. The
differences, especially the low gears, would be hard to distinguish
unless your are some sort of princess and the pea pro, and I'm not.
YMMV again. The point of compact is LOWER gears, and combining an
11-23 with 50/34 in lieu of 12-25 with 53/39, is, I would be so bold
to assert, rather pointless.

Take your pack off......

Old January 4th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Doug Taylor wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:06:11 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:43:53 -0500, Doug Taylor
wrote:

Oh, and probably no point in recommending installing a chain stopper
to avoid dropping the chain into the bottom bracket when shifting down
from 50 to 34: I'm sure you'll have a smug comeback to that as well.

I ride with 51 or 50 x 38 or 39 quite a bit, and a chain stopper is
useful. Even on a well adjusted bike, frantic shifting on bumpy roads
can result in the chain falling.

Are things different with a 34?

The 16 tooth drop down from a 50 to a 34 can be forceful, and the
chain frequently falls off if you are not totally vigilant. Therefore,
most people I know with compacts have them. A simple $4 investment:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=CD-04B

The point of my comment was anticipating that Peter would say
something like: "If you know how to shift properly, you don't need a
chain stopper."

I do.

your 'point' was pointless...

Old January 4th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

wrote:

[...]

your 'point' was pointless...I install many, many chainwatchers, think
they are great tool. Gee,,can ya shift a STI left lever, all ya friggin
do is push the thing...

Old January 4th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

On 4 Jan 2007 05:16:48 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

What's yer problem? I'm not looking for an argument, just my
experience. OBTW-the 'standard' FD for shimano compact, which IS 50/34,
is their standard for double FD.

Yes, but in all fairness, the pin on their 50t compact ring is
different. It is a rectangle made of very hard metal and has a sharp,
corner edge. My guess is that the design of the shift assist is
better than average.

I can't see why someone would not use a chain watcher. I happen to
like the Jump Stop.
Old January 4th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

wrote:

What's yer problem? I'm not looking for an argument, just my
experience. OBTW-the 'standard' FD for shimano compact, which IS 50/34,
is their standard for double FD.

Yes, but in all fairness, the pin on their 50t compact ring is
different. It is a rectangle made of very hard metal and has a sharp,
corner edge. My guess is that the design of the shift assist is
better than average.

I can't see why someone would not use a chain watcher. I happen to
like the Jump Stop.

BUT, I'm talking about many compact Ritchey and FSA cranks way before
IRD or anybody else made a compact FD...WAY before shimano made the
R700.

Old January 4th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Matt O'Toole

wrote:

The 16 tooth drop down from a 50 to a 34 can be forceful, and the chain
frequently falls off if you are not totally vigilant. Therefore, most
people I know with compacts have them. A simple $4 investment:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=CD-04B

The point of my comment was anticipating that Peter would say something
like: "If you know how to shift properly, you don't need a chain
stopper."

I do.

your 'point' was pointless...I install many, many chainwatchers, think
they are great tool. Gee,,can ya shift a STI left lever, all ya friggin
do is push the thing...

Chainwatchers are great, but unfortunately they don't fit my fat tubed
Klein, or most carbon bikes. I don't drop chains often but it's a pain
when I do.

A friend just cut the mounting band off and glued his on.

Matt O.
Old January 4th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

wrote:

[...]

he should try an IRD FD!!!! what's wrong with him???!!!

;-lo -------

Old January 5th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:57:54 -0500, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

Chainwatchers are great, but unfortunately they don't fit my fat tubed
Klein, or most carbon bikes. I don't drop chains often but it's a pain
when I do.

A friend just cut the mounting band off and glued his on.

I would love to see a photo of that or know more details, such as the
type of watcher (Third Eye? but I don't see how glue would hold), the
bike he glued it too and any details of installation.

--
JT
****************************
Old January 5th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

On 4 Jan 2007 05:18:00 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

your 'point' was pointless...

As was your quibbling about whether or not 11-23 with 50/34 is
"substantially" similar to 12-25 with 53/39.

Zero sum.
Old January 5th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Matt O'Toole

wrote:

Chainwatchers are great, but unfortunately they don't fit my fat tubed
Klein, or most carbon bikes. I don't drop chains often but it's a pain
when I do.

A friend just cut the mounting band off and glued his on.

I would love to see a photo of that or know more details, such as the
type of watcher (Third Eye? but I don't see how glue would hold), the
bike he glued it too and any details of installation.

I don't have a photo, but he just cut the band so it didn't have to go
around the tube. There's only about a third of the original unit left. I
don't know what kind of glue he used, but polyurethane (like 3M 5200)
would probably work -- just hope you never have to take it off!

Matt O.