Cannondale frame crack update

Old August 5th 04, 02:13 AM
Michael Press

Default Cannondale frame crack update

I posted last week about cracked paint on my '95 Cannondale road frame
in the middle of a crimp in the drive-side seatstay . Took it to the
NSLBS* today. The owner sanded off the paint around the crack, but
the metal didn't really look cracked. So he attached a hub with its
quick-release to the OUTSIDE of the drive-side dropout and used the
hub to leverage the dropout away from the frame. Sure enough a large
crack appeared all the way across the seatstay.

So Cannondale will be supplying me with a new frame. Interestingly,
the owner has some late 90's Cannondale road frames in his warehouse,
so I have the option of a frame more compatible with my existing parts
(quill stem, threaded fork) or a brand spanking new frame that would
require new fork, headset and stem. Any opinions, aside from cost?

Michael

* Not-So-Local Bike Shop (it's a 25 minute drive, but worth it -
probably the best bike shop anywhere - Mt. Airy bikes in Mt. Airy, MD,
same owner as College Park Bikes. The place is packed to the gills
with interesting old frames and assorted cycling paraphernalia. They
have 80 tandems in stock. Today I saw a Lance Armstrong lunch box)
Old August 5th 04, 03:52 AM
Threeducks

Michael Press wrote:
[...]

If I was on a budget, I would go with the older frame that was more
compatible with the components I had. If you feel like dropping a few
hundred dollars on parts, go for the newer frame.
Old August 5th 04, 11:56 AM
Evan Evans

Thats a good deal! Man i would get the newest frame. A 2004 frame
c.dale frame for free. Some or the parts on your old bike are bound to
need repacing anyway .What a deal! The old frames in the warehouse
basically have no real value to them anyway.
Old August 6th 04, 12:02 AM
dianne_1234

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:13:02 -0400, Michael Press
wrote:

Mt. Airy bikes in Mt. Airy, MD,
The place is packed to the gills
with interesting old frames and assorted cycling paraphernalia.
Today I saw a Lance Armstrong lunch box)

Did you buy it? It might be a collector's item someday! :-)

Old August 7th 04, 12:22 AM
Jay Beattie

"Michael Press" wrote in message

I posted last week about cracked paint on my '95 Cannondale

road frame
in the middle of a crimp in the drive-side seatstay . Took it

to the
NSLBS* today. The owner sanded off the paint around the crack,

but
the metal didn't really look cracked. So he attached a hub

with its
quick-release to the OUTSIDE of the drive-side dropout and used

the
hub to leverage the dropout away from the frame. Sure enough a

large
crack appeared all the way across the seatstay.

I broke two of these, one after only a couple of seasons. It
was a bad design that they dumped after a few years.

Anyway, I would go with the free 2004 CAAD 4 replacement, which
is what I did. Since you are saving so much on buying a new
frame, you can spring for a new headset, spacers and a stem. A
nice carbon fork comes with the frame. Also make sure to take
your old seat clamp and BB cable guide. Those things do not come
on the new frame (unlike the old days). I like threadless just
fine. It is like stack-em-up Fisher Price toys. Loosen a couple
of screws, and the whol front end falls off.

I would skip the '90s technology and go with the latest stuff
just to get the best re-sale value. The market is moving towards
threadless, and all those people on eBay are going to be looking
for that, like it or not. Have the warranty receipt plasticoated
and hang it on your wall so you do not lose it. Cannondale is
getting picky about having receipts. -- Jay Beattie. I