newbie... new bike.... updated. (help post)

Old September 14th 03, 11:50 AM
nodriver

Default newbie... new bike.... updated. (help post)

I've managed to narrow down my search a little bit...

Here are some bikes I have in mind.

Cannondale Jekyl 600 (
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3VN6.html

Giant XTC NRS 2 ( http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....07&model=10644
)

Giant XTC NRS 3 (cause it's cheaper... like.. $400 cheaper)

K2 Tirade 4.0 ( http://www.k2bikes.com/03products/mountain/tirade_4.asp
)

Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 (
http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2dakar_xlt1.html )

Any of your thoughts would be helpful...

Thank you.

$1,000 to $1,500 budget.

Old September 14th 03, 03:45 PM
Super Slinky

nodriver said...

I've managed to narrow down my search a little bit...

Here are some bikes I have in mind.

Cannondale Jekyl 600 (
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3VN6.html

Giant XTC NRS 2 ( http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....07&model=10644
)

Giant XTC NRS 3 (cause it's cheaper... like.. $400 cheaper)

K2 Tirade 4.0 ( http://www.k2bikes.com/03products/mountain/tirade_4.asp
)

Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 (
http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2dakar_xlt1.html )

Any of your thoughts would be helpful...

Thank you.

$1,000 to $1,500 budget.

Get the Jamis. Good parts that are built to be used. The Fox fork blows
away the offerings on the other bikes listed. The Hayes hydraulics are
very cool. The NRS bikes are race oriented ultra-light jobs that will
ride comparatively harsh and won't take as much abuse. The K2 is a heavy
pig with mediocre parts.

Old September 15th 03, 01:33 AM
Westie

"nodriver" wrote in message
om...
I've managed to narrow down my search a little bit...

Here are some bikes I have in mind.
Giant XTC NRS 2

I've got one going cheap.....
--
Westie

Seriously though, I can recommend the NRS2 although I, personally, don't
like the mech disc brakes on it. Perhaps you could get the them swapped for
Avids (as I hear people are satisfied with Avid mechs) at low or nil cost to
yourself?
It's a XC bike though so while you can do reasonable drops and plenty of
rough stuff, forget about big drops or throwing yourself off mountains. The
Jamis would be better for that. But it's heavier and consequently will be a
bit harder and slower on the level and uphill. What style of riding do you
expect you'll be doing? What sort of distances? What type of terrain?
I've had my NRS for a while and thrown quite a bit at it and it's generally
been very reliable, tough and well built.

--
Westie
Just don't drive a 4WD over it. sob

Old September 15th 03, 12:50 PM
nodriver

"Westie" wrote in message ...
"nodriver" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I think I was pretty much already decided on NRS 2. It was, and I
guess still is... between the Giant and the Cannondale. I was hopping
there would be some more posts about the Cannondale.. but nothing yet.

A buddy of mine has a K2 bike and so I wanted to add that in there
cause I "know" that bike a little bit.. so it gave me a good frame of
reference. And the Jamis sounded pretty good, but I honestly don't do
that hard core of riding... I don't intend to do a lot of "Mountain
dropping" or sever downhill riding either. Mostly Right now I do
urban riding. I ride to and from work (about 5 miles each way) I ride
the train tracks, and through the park and I like to make jumps out of
stuff. But I'd like to do some more trail riding... I have an entry
level hard tail Raleigh right now, and I don't get very excited about
riding it. I think a FS bike would be a lot more fun to ride.

I think I'm probably sold on the NRS 2. I just have to ride them both
now and start shelling out some cash.

Old September 15th 03, 11:43 PM
Westie

"nodriver" wrote in message
om...

I think I was pretty much already decided on NRS 2. It was, and I
guess still is... between the Giant and the Cannondale. I was hopping
there would be some more posts about the Cannondale.. but nothing yet.

Most people with Crack'n'Fail's have been scared away from this newsgroup -
or at least they don't admit ownership in polite conversation.
--
Westie

Old September 16th 03, 03:45 PM
David Kunz

nodriver wrote:

I think I was pretty much already decided on NRS 2. It was, and I
guess still is... between the Giant and the Cannondale. I was hopping
there would be some more posts about the Cannondale.. but nothing yet.

I've been riding a Jekyll for almost 2 years now. The frame's a 700,
but the rest are upgrades/last bike swap-overs (the shop knows me well
and sold me a frame -- not usual for Cannondale). My Jekyll has a
Lefty, but I had a headshok on my last bike (an F1000sl). Both are
excellent forks.

I like the Jekyll a lot. It's agile, climbs well, handles the rough
stuff and the tricky stuff. IMNSHO, it's a solid, well made bike.

BUT, so are the others that you mentioned! DON'T MAKE YOUR FINAL CHOICE
BASED ON THIS NEWSGROUP! Test ride, ride, ride and choose the one that
fits you the best. The best bike on the market is garbage if you're not
comfortable on it. If you can't choose based on that, choose the bike
shop instead -- the one that gives you straight answers (not hype),
personal treatment, is interested more in getting you on the right bike
than selling you a bike off the floor. Look over their service dept. --
Get a dialog going if you can. A friendly, well informed service dept
is what sold me on my last couple of bikes -- and has paid off in good
info on soild reliable upgrades and on riding tips .

David

Old September 16th 03, 03:59 PM
David Kunz

nodriver wrote:

I've managed to narrow down my search a little bit...

Here are some bikes I have in mind.

Cannondale Jekyl 600 (
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3VN6.html

Giant XTC NRS 2 ( http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....07&model=10644
)

Giant XTC NRS 3 (cause it's cheaper... like.. $400 cheaper)

K2 Tirade 4.0 ( http://www.k2bikes.com/03products/mountain/tirade_4.asp
)

Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 (
http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2dakar_xlt1.html )

Any of your thoughts would be helpful...

Thank you.

$1,000 to $1,500 budget.

All good bikes. I have a Cannondale Jekyll and I love it. Solid,
reliable, agile, climbs like a mountain goat, handles the rough and the
technical stuff quite well. Mine has a Lefty -- I believe that the one
that you mentioned has a head shok? If so, it's still a great bike .

BUT, all of the bikes that you mentioned are good!
Buy the one that fits you the best. Test ride and choose. The best
bike in the world's not good if you don't like it! If you still can't
choose, buy the LBS. Buy the one that give you good honest answers
instead of industry hype; the one that's more interested in getting you
on the right bike than in selling you a bike off the floor; the one
with a good knowledgable service department!

David

Newbie impressions of a suspension bike. Rural QLD CC Mountain Biking 10 June 18th 04 01:25 AM
Why Do You Ride Mountain A Bike On Streets? James Lynx Mountain Biking 53 June 3rd 04 12:39 PM
Canadian Tire bike: Super Cycle Gravity cam Mountain Biking 15 March 22nd 04 09:11 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
newbie... new bike.... updated. (help post) nodriver Mountain Biking 7 September 16th 03 03:59 PM