Bike adjustments

Old December 12th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bike adjustments

On 12/11/2019 11:22 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 1:51:03 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 3:25:10 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 10:28:47 PM UTC, lou.h...@xxxx wrote:
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 2:08:32 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
On 12/10/2019 1:58 PM, wrote:

snip

What is your dream bike Frank (honest question) and what is custom on that frame or bike?

Pretty much everyone in the U.S. dreams of a Rivendell of some sort.

You are kidding, no?

Lou

The problem with our American friends is that they aren't kidding. Those clowns who wanted me to choose a Paramount "mixte" over a Utopia Kranich really meant it.

Why not?

Because it a fraud, all display and no function as you own link proves at a single glance:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/waterf...57629483332191

You must be getting senile, Jay, forgetting things like this. I explained in riveting detail why a Waterford bike isn't good enough. See "WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE An investigation consequent on being hounded by American roadies", at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...TIP0%5B1-25%5D

Muzi could get one for you.

You clowns are damaging Muzi's business by making me explain again and again why I wouldn't be see dead on a Waterford bike.

Pick it up in Wisconsin and see the world. With the right component group, that thing would be a total chick magnet.

-- Jay Beattie.

I'll leave you to your shallow dreams about being a "chick magnet".

Andre Jute
Lord, save me from wannabe promoters of American chrome plating

Waterford doesn't offer chroming (the industry having been
fatally regulated). Those are American cast stainless
polished lugs and ends.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 13th 19, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 12/10/2019 1:58 PM, wrote:

[...]

I wonder. Could one successfully silver solder chrome plated objects?
And would the chromium stay shiny?

My initial thoughts would be no, but admittedly I have never tried it.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 19, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On 12/10/2019 1:58 PM, lou.holtman wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Andrew. There I think we can leave the subject of Waterford bikes. They've suffered enough for the pushy bad judgement of RBT roadies.

Andre Jute
Enough is enough
Old December 13th 19, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/10/2019 1:58 PM, wrote:

[...]

No, one cannot.
Moreover at bicycle temperatures (nickel-free silver braze
or low temp bronze) brazing near chrome can be destructive
to the steel. Welding over chrome is worse but brazing is
bad enough.

Old December 13th 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:02:08 PM UTC, John B. wrote:

I wonder. Could one successfully silver solder chrome plated objects?
And would the chromium stay shiny?

D'you mean to tell us, Slow Johnny, that you were never a hot rodder? For surely every hot rodder is aware that American chromium plating was so shoddy that almost all of it had to be scraped off and rechromed by people who knew what they were doing in the polishing and the base layers of copper and nickel that American platers either skimped or skipped.

My initial thoughts would be no, but admittedly I have never tried it.

I daresay you're right. Solder sticks to only a limited number of metals, and cheap plating doesn't play nice with heat.

Andre Jute
Surprised to discover a many as... one whole item Slow Johnny doesn't know everything about
Old December 13th 19, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 12/10/2019 1:58 PM, wrote:

[...]

Some years ago I was interested in chrome plating a bike and did some
research on hydrogen embrittlement related to chrome plating. In
short, hydrogen embrittlement is primarily associated with high
tensile steels when chrome plated and can be reduced or eliminating
by baking at fairly high temperatures (375 - 430 deg. F). I found that
Columbus tubes fall at or below the hardness that seems to be the
boundary above which hydrogen embrittlement treatment becomes
critical.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 19, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 12/12/19 3:02 pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
James wrote:

With disc brakes you would only need to flip the axle quick release and
take the wheel out, and not need to fiddle with the brakes at all.

Yeah, but if I unintentionally squeeze my brake levers on my canti equipped
bike with no wheel installed, it’s a pretty easy recovery.

It's a non-issue with mechanical disc brakes too.

You might be thinking of hydraulics? I'm not so keen on them, like I'm
not so keen on electronic gear shifting.

--
JS
Old December 13th 19, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 06:50:44 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Didn't I hear you exclaiming the merits of your slide rule?

While cleaning his room, my spouse found a stash of slide rules
including, I believe, mine. After some thought, I put them into the
glass-front bookcase with the history books.

If I recall correctly, multiplication was quite easy, and I could
probably still do it. Our physicics tests were to "slide rule
accuracy", that is, you needed only to show enough digits to prove
that you'd done the right things to the right numbers. (Mine was a
cheap bamboo rule and didn't give useful answers, except for
sanity-testing.)

One short cut I took proved that laziness can pay. We were given a
four-place table that we were supposed to interpolate to five places.
Instead of practicing interpolation as I was supposed to do, I bought
a five-place table. And shortly after I graduated, interpolation went
out of style.

Nowadays I use my calculators only for money and miles per hour. The
first two or three digits don't cut it any more. (Well, on mph, two
digits are plenty!)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old December 13th 19, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 12/12/19 4:04 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

How many bikes have you not yet converted to discs?

I thought I had mentioned that I am happy not to have disc brakes on my
road bike. In fact on neither road bike. I don't ride them in wet
weather at all often, and I don't carry loads with them. Rims last
years and all weather braking performance is a non-issue.

My gravel/touring bike and MTB are both disc brake bikes though, and
IMHO it is a good choice for those bikes.

My wife has a city/commuter bike with flat bars and disc brakes. They're
hydraulic levers and calipers. Having had to play with them, I don't
really like them. I prefer cable disc brakes.

--
JS
Old December 13th 19, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

At one point I was in charge of calculating percentages on the Wing's
fleet of aircraft. This was before the days of electric calculators
and I thought a slip stick would work so bought one only to find that
they wouldn't indicate to the last decimal point, or perhaps more
accurately, that I couldn't read them to the last decimal point. And
believe me that as far as the Wing Commander is concerned 30.5 and
30.59 are different numbers when reporting to higher headquarters
(30.59 can be rounded to 31 :-)

I remember a story that at Wright-Patterson AFB (one of the
development bases) they had a 10 foot long slide rule in a temperature
controlled room for doing really accurate calculations I don't know
whether that is true, however it does sound possible.
--
cheers,

John B.

USE Alien adjustments Chris M Techniques 7 February 19th 06 03:43 PM
Some adjustments to bars Ken M General 14 January 1st 06 06:40 PM
derailer adjustments Bob Rutledge Techniques 2 December 10th 05 09:42 PM
Derailleur adjustments D.M. Procida UK 2 August 8th 04 12:03 PM
derailleur adjustments on new bike? Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 22 June 28th 04 05:32 PM