Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

Old December 10th 19, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

Default Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

From and San Jose Mercury News.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/12/...e-by-shooting/

I know the Mercury does not seem to let people in the read the darn thing, but the headline pretty much tells the story.

I used to worry about this when I worked in Watsonville and biked around there during the day.

Ah, to be in a civilized country like Ireland, Thailand or Switzerland where there is no crime. Sigh.

pH
Old December 10th 19, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/12/...e-by-shooting/

I know the Mercury does not seem to let people in the read the darn thing, but the headline pretty much tells the story.

I used to worry about this when I worked in Watsonville and biked around there during the day.

Ah, to be in a civilized country like Ireland, Thailand or Switzerland where there is no crime. Sigh.

pH

There are rumors those countries may have ... HUMANS!

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crim...bangkok-office

https://irishpeaceprocess.blog/2018/...se-of-torture/

https://www.thelocal.ch/20180312/qua...tzerland-crime

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 10th 19, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:24:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/12/...e-by-shooting/

I know the Mercury does not seem to let people in the read the darn thing, but the headline pretty much tells the story.

I used to worry about this when I worked in Watsonville and biked around there during the day.

Ah, to be in a civilized country like Ireland, Thailand or Switzerland where there is no crime. Sigh.

pH

There are rumors those countries may have ... HUMANS!

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crim...bangkok-office

https://irishpeaceprocess.blog/2018/...se-of-torture/

https://www.thelocal.ch/20180312/qua...tzerland-crime

Yep. The OP should have said "less crime" rather than "no crime."

For those who prefer data to anecdotes, there's this:
http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/

And regarding guns, there's this:
http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...hs-by-country/

(The headline was a wounding, not a death, but the death data is all I have
time to search for now.)

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 10th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 11:24:33 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/12/...e-by-shooting/

I know the Mercury does not seem to let people in the read the darn thing, but the headline pretty much tells the story.

I used to worry about this when I worked in Watsonville and biked around there during the day.

Ah, to be in a civilized country like Ireland, Thailand or Switzerland where there is no crime. Sigh.

pH

There are rumors those countries may have ... HUMANS!

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crim...bangkok-office

https://irishpeaceprocess.blog/2018/...se-of-torture/

https://www.thelocal.ch/20180312/qua...tzerland-crime

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

While humans indeed are the source of crime, because crime is no longer prosecuted in California expect things to continue getting worse and worse.

Did another 38 miles and 3,700 feet of climbing this morning and except for one dolt passing on a blind turn and nearly having a head on, the drivers were remarkably polite even though it was damn cold. Was trying to sit in the sun and some jerk on top of the 3 story building next door decided to clean the roof and rain gutters with a leaf blower. So I got wet leaves and small pieces of tar into my cup of coffee - probably improved the taste but I wasn't taking any chances and left.
Old December 11th 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:58:26 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:24:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

[...]

Too true.... And regarding bicycles, the U.S. also appears to lead the
list in bicycle deaths.
https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1258.html
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 11th 19, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:24:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

[...]

We are a large and diverse country, an outlier in many ways.
I prefer to celebrate that rather than rue it but YMMV.

Old December 11th 19, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:03:58 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:58:26 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:24:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

[...]

We're a huge country. In America, all raw counts yield high numbers. That's one
reason I prefer rates - per capita, per rider, per hour, etc.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 11th 19, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 18:46:57 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:03:58 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:58:26 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:24:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

[...]

How to calculate a per capita rate for bicycle riders? Does anyone
have an accurate count of bicycle riders and trips? I have seen wildly
different numbers in the millions published but none of them seem to
be based on reality. Perhaps https://tinyurl.com/y399yj8w which says
that in 2015 some 14 million rode a bike at least twice a week. As
there were 880 bike deaths in 2015 then the death rate was
6.28/100,000 cyclists. Which is, what?, a third higher than the U.S.
firearm homicide rate of 4.46/100,000.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 11th 19, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:03:58 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:58:26 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:24:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

[...]

But you're cheating! You're comparing the total bike death rate to only
the portion of U.S. gun deaths that are deliberate homicides. You (and
I!) have pointed out many times that half of bike deaths are
self-inflicted (riding against traffic, etc. etc.) - IOW, almost
suicidal. So the fair comparison would be to include gun accidental
deaths, gun suicides, etc.

Total U.S. gun death rate is 12.21 per 100,000, according to your
probable source. That's about double your bike estimate - and without
the huge health benefits that counterbalance bicycling's tiny risks.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:03:58 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:58:26 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:24:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2019 11:41 AM, pH wrote:
From and San Jose Mercury News.

[...]

Yes. It was deliberate as the major cause of death by firearm, in the
U.S. is deliberate suicide.

Second in the suicide parade is hanging/suffocation and third is
poison. Yet I never read anything about the dangers of rope (or
plastic bags) or insect spray (previously a favorite method here).

Why should the public be alarmed if you prefer to blow your brains out
with a pistol - shotguns are unbelievably messy - rather than to hang
yourself with the clothesline?

To forestall any argument about the ease of shooting oneself being a
cause of the suicide rate I would point out that the numbers of
suicides in the U.S. is increasing annually while firearm possession
is not. In 2001, for example there were 30,000 suicides and gun
ownership was 40% of all households. In 2016 suicides had risen to
45,000 while gun ownership had fallen to 39% of all households.

In addition, it might be noted, in Japan, for example, where firearm
ownership is extremely low the suicide rate is higher than the U.S.

You argument that a large percent of bicycle deaths are "self
inflected" is a bit, well, fallacious, as these died as a result of
what one might very well term "stupidity" rather than deliberation.
--
cheers,

John B.