w i d e clipless shoes revisited

Old August 30th 03, 08:42 AM
F1

Default w i d e clipless shoes revisited

Hi, I promised to give my review of the shoes ( http://tinyurl.com/lop2 ) I
bought at nashbar.com, so here it is. First, I received them and had to
return them since they were a touch too small. I sent them back and finally
got the new size after what seemed like a long wait. I usually wear a 10
1/2 or 11, (44.5 and 45 respectively) so I ordered the wide 45 according,
but it was a bit too small and I had to get the 46 which translates to a 11
1/2 size which I never wear, so BE FOREWARNED. Anyway, I also ordered the
basic nashbar pedals ( http://tinyurl.com/lop3 ) since my bike is nothing
special (I plan on buying a new Cannondale next spring...) and it was a fine
fit. It went on quickly and easily and worked just as advertised. A for
me, the very first issue was getting off of the bike to adjust the shoes. I
popped out fine, but when I laid my shoe down as I came to a stop, it was
like being on the ice with a skate...it was not good. The hard plastic is
VERY SLIPPERY on the pavement! I will probably buy a shoe with a real
walkable sole next time, as that really scared me. It was even more
dangerous off the bike than on. The next issue was the orientation of my
shoes. I have big feet, so I tend to keep the heels pointed slightly
outward due to the size. This required a couple adjustments to the mounts
on the shoes. After that, the main problem I had was that I didn't realize
how I used my old toe clips as "cinches" in that I tended to twist my feet
even more outward and use the torsion as a gripping mechanism, since I
didn't like to tighten them. This was especially true for my right
foot...who knows why. The idea of a "floating" shoe seemed to appeal to me
(7 degrees of float, IIRC) until I was riding along. It wasn't long before
I popped out of my right pedal, so I tightened it up. The same scenario
happened again a few miles down the road, so I tightened it up again. The
left one was OK. I guess I have a stronger right leg, or I pedal with a
skewed plane with my right leg. The rest of my normal 34 mile ride was OK
until I happened upon a construction zone. I ran out of space on the road
due to equipment in the way and the only place to go was a freshly laid area
of loam. Since the fresh soil was just recently spread, I sunk into it very
fast, and I nearly ate dirt trying to get out of my tightened cleats (oops,
I nearly forgot!). Anyway, I was beginning to think this riding thing is
kind of scary! I'm sure I'll adapt, but it is just one more thing to worry
about. The pluses included the ability to use the upstroke to increase
speed. I don't know if I'll every use it, but tactically it is useful. The
other thing is the feet feel more planted and more 'one' with the bike.
Hopefully I will feel as such with the clipless pedal soon...

Old September 2nd 03, 10:27 PM

F1 wrote: : Hi, I promised to give
[...]

I hate slippery road shoes. I smeared hot melt glue on the bottom to keep
from slipping. I eventually just donated the shoes to the the salvation
army and got myself mountain bike shoes.

Bob Masse'