New 36" tire and Two 36" Rims Announced By UDC

Old March 10th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unijuul

Default New 36" tire and Two 36" Rims Announced By UDC

We have now finaly got the new Nightrider tire to Norway. There was a
BIG disappointment. We tok some measurement of the tire weight. We also
weightened all the tires we have. I think the result is a god answer:

Tyre Year Weight
--------------------------------------
Coker 36" Tyre 2006 1900
Coker 36" Tyre 2007 1760
Coker 36" Tyre 2007 1742
Coker 36" Tyre 2007 1739
TA 36" Road Tyre 2007 1935
TA 36" Road Tyre 2007 1775
Nimbus Nightrider 2008 1979
Nimbus Nightrider 2008 1816

Loks like the 2007 was a god year for Coker tires. Strange that We have
2 TA tires with such a different weight. And at last the Nightrider,
not so light as it schould be.

--
unijuul

www.unijuul.com
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 10th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

Unijuul,

A few grams of difference separate the tires that you measured.
I wouldn't let that disappoint me, I'd be more interested in how it
handles, how many kilometers I could travel on it, how it feels on the
crown of a road.

Ride it and let us know how it feels and performs

Let us know how it compares to the other tires you have previously
ridden on.

--
legtod2

Terry Fox & Trish Crandall...
my inspiration in life.
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 10th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BoojiBoy

corbin wrote:
Does the underside of your top bearing holders look machined out, or are
they painted blue too?

-corbin

I don't know. I haven't taken the frame apart to inspect. I can tell
you that the bottom bearing holders are silver, not blue. I'll have to
investigate the underside of the top holders to see if they were
modified. I imagine they were.

--
BoojiBoy

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 10th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unijuul

legtod2 wrote:
Unijuul,

A few grams of difference separate the tires that you measured.
I wouldn't let that disappoint me, I'd be more interested in how it
handles, how many kilometers I could travel on it, how it feels on the
crown of a road.

Ride it and let us know how it feels and performs

Let us know how it compares to the other tires you have previously
ridden on.

Nimbus Nightrider schall weight 1660g.
1979 gram is +319 gram &
1816 gram is +156 gram.

+319 gram, oh yes you will feel it!

--
unijuul

www.unijuul.com
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 10th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Wow that really is dissapointing, I was looking forward to dropping 300g
and maybe more one I figure out which parts I want to carve off. Looks
like I will probably stick with my choped up TA for my year-round tire.

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 10th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

I want to order my new Big One with the touring bar and new road tire
but those things aren't available yet!! garhhh!!! Hurry coker
people!!!!!!!!!!!

--
MuniAddict

'My videos:' (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699)
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 10th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Based on Unijuul's and others' actual measurements (thanks for doing
that!), it seems more certain that the variances amongst all 36" tires
are simply due to manufacturing tolerances, like how new the tire molds
are, at what pressure the rubber is forced into the mold, the
composition of the rubber on any given day, etc. The (relatively)
lighter tires might simply be the luck of the draw.

Which all further underscores the need for a truly lighter (less than 3
lbs) 36er road tire.

I still advocate the giant tubular (sew-up) tire concept. Even a
tubular 36" rim would be lighter. And it would be a much better ride.

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 10th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

unisk8r wrote:
Based on Unijuul's and others' actual measurements (thanks for doing
that!), it seems more certain that the variances amongst all 36" tires
are simply due to manufacturing tolerances, like how new the tire molds
are, at what pressure the rubber is forced into the mold, the
composition of the rubber on any given day, etc. The (relatively)
lighter tires might simply be the luck of the draw.

It's supposedly a 2 ply rather than 4 ply tyre. So there should be a
noticeable weight advantage. It's surprising that these ones measure so
high. Although having said that, I know people have reported 300g
variations in weight on coker / TA tyres, so maybe Unijuul is just
unlucky and has the top end of the Nimbus and the low end of the Coker
tyres.

It's definitely a new tyre, not just a modification of the old mould
somehow, it's much tighter on the rim than the older tyres.

With the other tyres, I don't know if they're worn ones or not, as that
probably saves a load of weight?

In terms of lighter tyres, perhaps you could take a pair of Schwalbe
Marathon racer tyres and join them together to make a 600g 36x1.5"
tyre, or a pair of Marathon supremes for a 900g 36x2.0" tyre. They're
both kevlar bead tyres, so there'd be no worries about having to mess
with wire beading, but I dunno how people join tyres - I know someone
did it prior to the coker tyre being made, so it must be possible.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 18th 08, 07:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rogeratunicycledotcom

I am on the way back from Taiwan where I met up with the tyre
manufacturer (I am stuck in Holland for a 4 hour layover!). This
question was No.1 to ask him "why was the production model so much
heavier than the pre-production model".

The answer was simple; to have it certified at 65psi he had to change
the tyre slightly.

The tyre is still 2 ply but has a higher TPI on the carcass than the 4
ply versions. So unfortunately the weight went up. I did ask was
there any way to get the weight down while keeping the characteristics,
he answer "no" (he was not a man of many words - he speaks no English
and I speak almost no Mandarin).

The manufacturer made it clear that this is the ONLY 36" tyre that he
will certify for any pressure above 32 PSI. It also has the advantage
of the lighter feel due to the extra flexibility created by being 2 ply
and the design of the tread.

My apologies for the unexpected weight increase. As tyres go it still
out performs both the Coker or TA tyres.

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom

++++++++++++++++++
Unicycle.com in the UK
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 18th 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unijuul

Thanks for the explanation Roger. I will test the tire completely here
in Norway. Right now it is -5 degrees, so Coker riding is not the
favorite activity. It is a big point with the extra flexibility. With a
standard Coker tire it is very hard feeling when going off-road. I
think the Nimbus Nightrider will be a very god off-road tire going low
air pressure. I never go over 32 PSI on my Coker tire. I have not do
any big testing on tire pressure. When I was a road cyclist, we had
very hard pressure on the tires. But when I was racing mountain bike I
used the lowest tire pressure without getting a snake bite. So the
tires take some of the bumps. I am a bit worried to inflate a 29" tube
65 PSI. I have now used the 29" tube on my 36" wheel off-road in snow,
rain, mud and hot days here in Norway for 2 year and ca. 4.000 km
without any problems. I newer go over 32 PSI, and maybe that is the
main reason I never had any problems with 29" tube on a 36" wheel. I
will do a test now to see how long the 29" tube will last with such a
big pressure.

--
unijuul

www.unijuul.com
http://www.usenet.com

New 36" tire and Two 36" Rims Announced By UDC MuniAddict Unicycling 0 January 30th 08 05:21 AM
Tire clearance when using 26" rims on a road frame Pilgrim Techniques 6 October 11th 07 06:31 PM
Mavic Original "Open 4" Rims- Build Tension? [email protected] Techniques 0 May 22nd 07 08:35 PM
Old 26" Ambrosio Compact Rims - Largest Tire Size? * * Chas Techniques 1 August 4th 06 02:14 PM
WTB: Special "eyelets or inserts" for MAVIC CXP 30 Rims al van varick Marketplace 2 March 24th 05 02:17 AM