Future of Unicycle Road Racing (here's what I think; what do you think?)

Old August 22nd 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unijuul

Default Future of Unicycle Road Racing (here's what I think; what do you think?)

GizmoDuck wrote:
I don't agree with having separate classes just because some people are
more suited to geared vs ungeared.

My point earlier was that it goes down to the core of how you define
and categorise a unicycle. To me, the classic category or definition
should be a simple machine that has an axle directly fixed to the
cranks, and a geared category where you start adding gears of various
forms.

So a Classic Unicycle vs a Geared Unicycle might be a better
definition. I know one of the reasons I got into unicycling was
because of it's simplicity. Speed isn't everything...or I could just
as easily ride a bike instead! Many bicyclists are going back to
singlespeeds and fixed wheels. To me a unicycle is the ultimate fixed,
singlespeed machine. It is beautiful because it is simple. It gives
you a connection to the road/terrain that you can't get with a geared
unicycle.

Don't get me wrong, each type of unicycle has it's place. I was one of
the first in the world to get a GUni. And if I wanted to go as fast as
was possible on one wheel, then I would pick a GUni. But I still much
prefer to ride an Unguni/classic unicycle.

You might be surprised how much extra speed you get on a GUni. I'm a
spinner too...but I think I'm about 3-5% faster on my 29'er Schlumpf
than I am on the Coker. At Unicon 14, I didn't have any trouble
keeping up with Jan, and I know on that sort of course at RTL, he would
be pulling away from me about a minute every 1/2hr or so if I was on a
Coker.

Very good post Ken! :-)

I also like simplicity. There is too much mechanic and cleaning with a
Mountain Bike. Unicycling: Fun - cheap - easy fixing!

--
unijuul

www.unijuul.com