An evening of Strauss from Vienna

Old January 3rd 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

Default An evening of Strauss from Vienna

On 01/01/2010 22:59, Judith Smith wrote:

It is also easier to increase the waist line than to regain that slimer
look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you missed out a letter "i"

Ouch!

Old January 3rd 10, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:21:00 +0000, Tim Hall
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 23:59:09 +0000, Tom Crispin
wrote:

If I leave home at 6am, expect me at ten to three at Grantchester
Meadows; and is there honey still for tea?

"Honey's off, love"

I didn't make it anyway. I couldn't get of my arse and onto my bike
until 2pm. I made it as far as Cheshunt then got the train back with
feet like ice cubes. But the train only went as far as Seven Sisters
as Liverpool Street Station was closed; that is a part of London I do
not know, and I got hopelessly lost.

23 Miles Home to Cheshunt then 15 miles Seven Sisters to home (Google
Maps gives the distance as 11.4 miles which just shows how lost I
got!)
Old January 3rd 10, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 19:34:34 +0000
Tom Crispin wrote:

I didn't make it anyway. I couldn't get of my arse and onto my bike
until 2pm.

Shame. At 11:00 East Cambridgeshire was completely clear of cloud and
close enough to freezing that the ice was quite crunchy, the way I like
it. Five of us today! Hey, maybe this local cycle club /might/ catch
on. After the club ride and retiring to a local pub for coffee
(honest!) I doubled the distance for the day, but on my own now. It
was one of those days when everyone is smiles and good nature. Yes,
even those confined to their cages.

.... then got the train back with feet like ice cubes.

I had that problem until I bought proper winter cycling shoes. Mine
were at a decent discount at the Mildenhall Rally a couple of Augusts
ago, but now I've seen the light (felt the warmth?) I'd buy another
pair at full price if these wear out. They're not as waterproof as
advertised, but once the water gets in it warms up and isn't a big
nuisance.

New this winter are silk inner gloves. For something so thin I don't
see how they make such a difference, but they do. Twelve quid -- but my
fingers say that's a bargain.

Mike
--
Mike Causer
Old January 3rd 10, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:38:10 +0000, Happi Monday
wrote:

On 01/01/2010 22:11, Tom Crispin wrote:

Between 1985 and April 1993 I was a wine merchant, manager of a large
wine shop in Greenwich called Bottoms Up. At some stage, and I cannot
recall the date, Bottoms Up were bought by Thresher. They used to run
an anual blind tasing competition. In September 1992 I won the
regional heat and then national competition. In April 1993 I was
sacked. I took Thresher to an industrial tribunal who found that they
had sacked me because sales had fallen following the lifting of duty
allowances between the EU and the UK on 1 January 1993. I was awarded
£9,000 compensation (£10,000 was the maximum that could have been
awarded at the time).

Being at a loose end I decided to further my education and took A
levels in English and Maths. A year later I unexpectedly found myself
reading mathematics and education at Cambridge University. While at
Cambridge I was president of the Wine Society for the last three of my
four years (www.srcf.ucam.org/cuws/), and on the CU Wine Tasing Team
for all four years.

*yawn*
How about trying to keep it on-topic? Or do you really have such a
complex that you need to waffle on about yourself?

Nah - let him go - he obviously has much he needs to share with us.

Can you (TC) tell us what sort of job your dad had, how much he
earned, and what sort of house you lived in.

Do you know any famous people?

Old January 4th 10, 03:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Tom Crispin wrote:

I didn't make it anyway. I couldn't get of my arse and onto my bike
until 2pm.

Shame. At 11:00 East Cambridgeshire was completely clear of cloud and
close enough to freezing that the ice was quite crunchy, the way I like
it. Five of us today! Hey, maybe this local cycle club /might/ catch
on. After the club ride and retiring to a local pub for coffee
(honest!) I doubled the distance for the day, but on my own now. It
was one of those days when everyone is smiles and good nature. Yes,
even those confined to their cages.

It was a great day.

.... then got the train back with feet like ice cubes.

I had that problem until I bought proper winter cycling shoes. Mine
were at a decent discount at the Mildenhall Rally a couple of Augusts
ago, but now I've seen the light (felt the warmth?) I'd buy another
pair at full price if these wear out. They're not as waterproof as
advertised, but once the water gets in it warms up and isn't a big
nuisance.

I wore liner socks and thermal socks. It didn't stop my toes from
nearly becoming gangrenous though. Perhaps next time I'll wear over
shoes over my cycling shoes to keep the heat in.

New this winter are silk inner gloves. For something so thin I don't
see how they make such a difference, but they do. Twelve quid -- but my
fingers say that's a bargain.

I wear gortex waterproof mits over fleece gloves. The combination
works perfectly and I don't suffer from cold hands.
Old January 4th 10, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

wrote:

[...]

Yes, really annoying when someone has a story to tell rather than just
bickering and mindless repetitious drivel about whatever it is you
think will wind up cyclists today, innit?
Old January 5th 10, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote:

[...]

Sorry - before "story to tell" you missed out "fascinating on topic"

Old January 6th 10, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

wrote:

[...]

Of course your record of staying on topic is impeccable.

David Zabriske and Vienna Blood Doping Connection Anton Berlin Racing 4 May 27th 09 03:47 PM
Seen this evening. Martin[_2_] UK 0 June 6th 08 11:53 PM
Another summer evening Kevin Costner Racing 0 July 24th 05 10:20 AM
Evening All Simonb UK 24 March 6th 05 08:34 PM
Is it me or is it much darker this evening? Lee UK 6 September 22nd 03 08:25 AM