Cyclist wins against London Tube.

Old January 8th 10, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

Default Cyclist wins against London Tube.

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 07:43:34 +0000, Jim A
wrote:

Judith Smith wrote:
Why are cyclists obsessed by journey times?

Not all of share that obsession.

Was the person on the tube in any danger of the actions of other road
users?

No, but the lack of exercise could bring on early cardiac failure and death!

(Please **** rather than try to introduce bombs to the discussion)

Go "****" yourself, please. Bombs are inevitably going to be part of
any discussion about the perceived or actual risks in using the London
Underground in this day & age.

Now answer the question : are people on the underground at risk of the
actions of other roads users?

Which form of transport in London is the safest per passenger mile?

(Include bombs if you think it helps your case)

--
Many cyclists are proving the need for registration by their contempt for the Highway Code and laws.

The answer:
All cyclists over 16 to take compulsory test, have compulsory insurance, and be registered.
Registration number to be clearly visible on the back of mandatory hi-viz vest.
Habitual law breakers' cycles confiscated and crushed.
(With thanks to KeithT for the idea)

Old January 8th 10, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 04:09:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On 8 Jan, 11:44, "mileburner" wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in media.com...

Simon Mason wrote:
Another one of those transport challenges, this time tube vs. bike.

http://road.cc/content/news/12550-lo...r-takes-tube-a...

Typical cyclo**** bollox. *No factoring in the need to change trains in
order to fudge the figures, deliberate choice of routes to bias the
outcome, no factoring in the need to change & shower after all that sweaty
cycling - when he could have been in a comfy seat reading a good book.

What a load of old bollox. *Just goes to show what a sad prat he must be.

Changing and showering is generally considered a good thing although I
accept there are a number of smelly tradesmen who fail to do this often
enough.

I get showered at home before I set off for work, which is exactly the
same as if I drove there.
I never get sweaty when riding anyway, certainly not in this weather.

So you don't shower when you get to work then?

Do you have any close mates at work?

Old January 8th 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:30:14 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, wrote:

I get showered at home before I set off for work, which is exactly the
same as if I drove there.
I never get sweaty when riding anyway, certainly not in this weather.

I've never understood the fixation some people have with cycling and
showering. Before we got showers installed, it was the main reason
given for why people who lived close enough did not cycle (I'm not
sure what their reason is now we have showers, a changing room and
lockers).

However, I have never once heard anyone say "I would walk to work if
only there were showers", "I'd like to walk to work but we don't have
showers", "gosh - you walk to walk - do you have a shower at the
office", or any of the similar comments applied to cycling.

It seems that not only do you need lycra, a silly hat and a hi-vis
vest to cycle, you also must have a shower at your destination.

regards, Ian SMith

Most people I know who cycle to work come in sweating like pigs - not
necessarily at this time of year - but yes - I have seen it this week.

If they don't shower, then they are soon smelling like pigs.

I cannot say the same for those who walk in to work.

Old January 8th 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

No need, I get one at home. The only ones that "sweat like pigs" are
the very unfit ones.
I don't really sweat much even in the Summer, I'm quite thin and wiry.

Do you have any close mates at work?

I don't have any close mates of any description.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 8th 10, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

wrote:

I get showered at home before I set off for work, which is exactly
the same as if I drove there.
I never get sweaty when riding anyway, certainly not in this weather.

So you don't shower when you get to work then?

Do you have any close mates at work?

If you shower in the morning (properly with soap and hot water), use
deodorant and wear fresh clean clothes, you will not be stinking for at
least another 12 - 24 hours.

People who smell usually claim it is because of execise, work, a "condition"
but invariably it is because of poor personal hygiene.

It's a bit like people who are fat, are only fat because they eat too much
and do not exercise enough.

Old January 8th 10, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

I get showered at home before I set off for work, which is exactly
the same as if I drove there.
I never get sweaty when riding anyway, certainly not in this weather.

So you don't shower when you get to work then?

Do you have any close mates at work?

If you shower in the morning (properly with soap and hot water), use
deodorant and wear fresh clean clothes, you will not be stinking for at
least another 12 - 24 hours.

I also get a sauna every night before bed and keep loads of deodorants
at work that I drop off on my yearly car trip to work ( the Rotterdam
ferry happens to berth near to my work place.)

The only really sweaty people I see at work are the clinically obese
who drive to work everyday and have poor personal hygiene.

--
Simon Mason

Old January 8th 10, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"mileburner" wrote

[snip]

Put some showers in and then the excuse will shift to someting
else.

The bottom line is that they don't want to.

Even those who say they want to but say they can't usually just
don't really want to.

But for whatever we don't want to do, it is usually quite easy to
find a Jolly Good Reason.

Which is why "it's too dangerous" is so useful. It must be true, or
the government would not be spending all that tax money of yours on
those helpful facilities.

The "dangerous" excuse gets even better. It is generally
acknowledged that those facilities, presumably state of the art,
still leave cycling about as dangerous as it was before, or at least,
not less dangerous. The best brains in the traffic engineering
profession are unable to mitigate the horrors which you can conceive.

It's best to take the car Hundreds of thousands of people, after
all, are happy to pay the congestion charge in preference to anything
else.

Jeremy Parker

Old January 8th 10, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"Judith Smith" wrote

[snip]

Do you have any close mates at work?

[snip]

I will not ask a follow-up question. I will not ask a follow-up
question. I will not ask a follow-up question

Jeremy Parker

Old January 8th 10, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

Jeremy Parker wrote:
It's best to take the car Hundreds of thousands of people, after
all, are happy to pay the congestion charge in preference to anything
else.

Darling, to do anything else would be to behave like a poor person!
Eeeeeuw!

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride