How did he not get done for this

Old January 9th 10, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman

Default How did he not get done for this

Squashme wrote:
On 9 Jan, 15:05, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Squashme wrote:
On 9 Jan, 00:55, "The Medway Handyman"

Cutting to the chase, people just don't like ****** cyclists
closing roads for their rather silly schoolboy bike races.

"Cutting to the chase, people just don't like ****** cancer
charities closing roads for their rather silly cancer charity
fundraising activities", says the Medway Hankyman (motto: "I dream
of cyclists").

Oh yet another rib tickling sig alteration. How do you manage to
think of them? Obviously an undiscovered comic genius.

Jeez, I thought that I was vapid, but I take my hat off to you.

Big difference between pointless bike races & charity fundraising -
but then you wouldn't understand that would you?

No, you'll have to explain. Carry on. I'll really try to understand.
Perhaps if you typed in upper case (big letters).

Upper case? I'll have to add that to my list of clever phrases by cyclists.
It means big letters does it?

Its very simple. People will put up with idiot cyclists clogging up the
roads if its for a good cause e.g. charity. They get the hump when its
overgrown schoolboys playing bike races.

Face it - the majority of people don't like cyclists.

Face it - the majority of motorists believe that they are above- average
drivers.

Face it - thats completely irrelevant to the argument. Just an insult to
law adiding tax paying motorists.

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

Old January 9th 10, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:
Squashme wrote:
[...]

"The Etape Caledonia is a major fundraising event for Macmillan Cancer
Support." (Macmillan site)

"Organisers of the event, which raised more that £200,000 for
Macmillan Cancer Support, have pledged to run the race next year
despite the incident." (BBC)

So this was not a good cause, but just "overgrown schoolboys playing
bike races", was it?

Face it - you are a silly, sad, ignorant, little man.
Old January 9th 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

"JNugent" wrote
leandr42 wrote:

So you'd effectively put an end to the various road closures that
facilitate the hundred or more marathons, half-marathons and sundry other
road races that take place in this country every year?

Yes.

They can be held in places other than on the road.

It's so easy to be liberal with other peoples' rights and/or money, isn't
it?

When there is a large event, "motorists" become a tiny minority of road
users. Road users are what roads are for aren't they? At the Reading half
marathon I gather there are sometimes one or two people that try to make a
pointless point.

I have to say how nice it has been to go out in the snow recently, with
people being forced to forego their car and put their boots on. We should
have a few enforced no drive days every year.

Old January 9th 10, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman

DavidR wrote:
"JNugent" wrote
leandr42 wrote:

So you'd effectively put an end to the various road closures that
facilitate the hundred or more marathons, half-marathons and sundry
other road races that take place in this country every year?

Yes.

They can be held in places other than on the road.

It's so easy to be liberal with other peoples' rights and/or money,
isn't it?

When there is a large event, "motorists" become a tiny minority of
road users. Road users are what roads are for aren't they? At the
Reading half marathon I gather there are sometimes one or two people
that try to make a pointless point.

I have to say how nice it has been to go out in the snow recently,
with people being forced to forego their car and put their boots on.
We should have a few enforced no drive days every year.

Its been a pleasure not having cyclists clogging up the roads & being a
nuisance. Cars are moving pretty much as usual.

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

Old January 9th 10, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman

wrote:
Squashme wrote:
[...]

Which bit of 'good cause e.g. charity' did you fail to understand?

Face it - you are a silly, sad, ignorant, little man.

None of the above.

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

Old January 9th 10, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
DavidR wrote:
"JNugent" wrote
leandr42 wrote:

[...]

As a road user in a car, I find I am having to spend whole journeys staring
at the bumper of other road user's cars clogging the roads. Time spent
looking at the backside (*) of a road user on a bike is, ooh, milliseconds.
Oh, I forgot, road users in cars pay tax so apparently they don't count.

(*) And one I see regularly happens to be a lot better looking than the
bumper of any car.

--
DavidR, a road user that pays tax.

Old January 10th 10, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:
Squashme wrote:
[...]

I'm glad to see that you finally came round to accepting that the
cycle race for charity was a good cause and the tacks were a bad idea.

It's a change from:-

"How ****ing funny is that?

'Hundreds of cyclists were left with punctures'

Ha ha ha! "

"Its quite clear that the local residents simply didn't want hundreds
of
cyclo****s ****ing up their road network. Because they regard
cyclists as a
PITA - just like the majority of the population."

Old January 13th 10, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 13:41:42 -0000, leandr42
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:33:05 -0000, JNugent
wrote:

mileburner wrote:
"Mr Benn" wrote in message
I don't agree with the actions of the person who put carpet tacks on
the road

Allegedly. He has a certificate to say he didn't do it.

Really? You have evidence for that? Not proceeding in no way demonstrate
he didn't do it. I've heard of people who were wrongly accused, the case
was subsequently dropped, and they were disappointed not to get all the
facts out and prove their innocence.

I suspect he has a letter saying they are not going to proceed which in no
way says he didn't do it, just that it's not in the public interest to
proceed. We know there was enough evidence to charge him.

Really?

On what "evidence" was he charged?
--
Many cyclists are proving the need for registration by their contempt for the Highway Code and laws.

The answer:
All cyclists over 16 to take compulsory test, have compulsory insurance, and be registered.
Registration number to be clearly visible on the back of mandatory hi-viz vest.
Habitual law breakers' cycles confiscated and crushed.
(With thanks to KeithT for the idea)

Old January 13th 10, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 19:49:15 -0000, leandr42
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 16:31:46 -0000, JNugent
wrote:

leandr42 wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:33:05 -0000, JNugent
Allegedly. He has a certificate to say he didn't do it.
Really? You have evidence for that?

If there's been (sufficient) evidence, he'd have been prosecuted. He
wasn't...

Er...

prosecute v.tr. 1 institute legal proceedings against (a person).
[COD, other dictionaries have pretty much identical wording]

"ALL CHARGES have been dropped..."
"Alexander Grosset, of Bridge of Gaur, Rannoch, was charged in May..."

So he was prosecuted (proceedings were instituted) and the prosecution
was (much later) abandoned.

I've heard of people who were wrongly accused, the case was
subsequently dropped, and they were disappointed not to get all the
facts out and prove their innocence.

I'd rather not be prosecuted at all for things I haven't done - wouldn't
you?

If I'd been very publicly but wrongly accused of a nasty little offence
then I might wish to set the record straight. He is a man of some public
standing, who was known to be against the event and whose reputation has
suffered as a result of the accusation.

You may think so - many will disagree - his reputation will have been
enhanced in the eyes of many.

Old January 14th 10, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

wrote:

leandr42 wrote:

[...]

Two "many"s in one sentence, and another one in the sig. Very precise.