A genuine tech question

Old March 22nd 14, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default A genuine tech question

It's been years since we've had a post about a stuck stem, seat post or freewheel

OK here is a genuine tech question. This would be easy enuf to figure out on one's own by trial and error, but in the interest of saving 10 or 20 bucks:

I noticed with horror last month that my shoes are rubbing away the chainstays of my recently-purchased garage-queen 5200. I cut out some chainstay protectors from some aluminium tape which looked good but those wore thru in days. My LBS sold me some neoprene strips with velcro which are protecting allright but look stoopid, like stockings or leg warmers, and also get twisted around and look even worse.

Are the plastic sticker type ones all the same? Or is there a particular brand that wears like iron?

thanks,
dkl
Old March 22nd 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:03:40 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
It's been years since we've had a post about a stuck stem, seat post or freewheel

OK here is a genuine tech question. This would be easy enuf to figure out on one's own by trial and error, but in the interest of saving 10 or 20 bucks:

I noticed with horror last month that my shoes are rubbing away the chainstays of my recently-purchased garage-queen 5200. I cut out some chainstay protectors from some aluminium tape which looked good but those wore thru in days. My LBS sold me some neoprene strips with velcro which are protecting allright but look stoopid, like stockings or leg warmers, and also get twisted around and look even worse.

Are the plastic sticker type ones all the same? Or is there a particular brand that wears like iron?

There are some chainstay protectors out there that wear like iron because,
well, they're mostly iron. Stainless steel is mostly iron, you know.

http://store.somafab.com/sochpr1.html

But what part of the shoe is hitting the chainstay? If, say, it's just a
bit of the inside edge of the sole, I'd consider trimming that bit off.
If the side of the shoe's heel cup is hitting, or if the scraping is
very frequent, I think you might be better off increasing the Q dimension on
the bike, either by a longer crank axle or by pedal spacers or washers.

I wouldn't put up with anything but rare contact between the heel and
chainstay. I'd try to get some clearance.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 23rd 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

But what part of the shoe is hitting the chainstay? If, say, it's just a
bit of the inside edge of the sole, I'd consider trimming that bit off.

If the side of the shoe's heel cup is hitting, or if the scraping is
very frequent, I think you might be better off increasing the Q dimension on
the bike, either by a longer crank axle or by pedal spacers or washers.

I wouldn't put up with anything but rare contact between the heel and
chainstay. I'd try to get some clearance.

Thanks!

I don't understand what is going on or why it didnt' before or if it did and I didn't notice. What happened is that I wore thru the heels of my beloved CF shoes by walking in them. I really loved them and stoopidly tried patching the heels with epoxy. And it was the edges of the epoxy patches that protruded and were doing the damage.
So I ponied up and bought new shoes. Mavic Avenge. They have no heel cup and the sole does not protrude.
To my surprise the new shoes also brush the stays, if very lightly, and not on every stroke. So lightly that I don't feel or hear it; I have to look. With my eyes pointed at it I do hear it.

Was this happening on my previous bike, a kestrel? I dunno cuz it was stolen.

Was this happening on my previous bike, a kestrel? I dunno cuz it was stolen.
Is it going to continue with the new shoes, if I remove the stockings? It looks like only soft fabric could be contacting now, but I dunno if wear will result cuz I'm scared to try.

I've mounted the cleats as far back as possible to move my foot as far fwd as possible. It would be nice if it were possible to get the speedplays out a bit with washers on their shanks, but I guess that would unavoidably result in less threads securing pedal to crank, which sounds scary. Have I become duck-footed, or am I seeing differences in shape or cleat-screw-hole position between shoes? I guess those things I could check.

I guess the best thing to is to start shopping for a BB with a longer spindle.

dkl

Old March 23rd 14, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Reed Markley

I use the Speedplay Frogs on my road bike, because I need the rotational
slop due to twitchy knees. I moved the pedals out the spacing of one thick
washer that had a true 9/16" hole. Distance moved out is about 2 mm. Not
much, but enough for me, and the LBS agreed that this would have no impact
on pedaling power. I have used it this way for several thousand miles. I
needed a bit more Q for my twitchy knees. I have done this mod on my other
bikes too. In truth, I wish Speedplay still made pedals with various shaft
lengths like they used to. The commercially available spacers provide too
much offset for me.

Reed

Old March 23rd 14, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

I've covered chainstays with strips of inner tube, using Crazy Glue to hold
it to itself. That looks reasonably OK.
See http://youtu.be/XIkTBuuzKOU (the second part) for directions.
Old March 23rd 14, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:20:34 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

If the OP gets a longer crank axle, that might very well mess up his chainline. Perhaps the 1mm thick washer on each pedal shank might be good enough.

Is his foot in its proper position on the pedal? Not all cleat holes in all shoes re in the same position. Thus it's possible that the new shoes mount the cleats more inboard tha the older shos did.

Cheers
Old March 23rd 14, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:27:02 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

[...]

You might try a different pedal, at least I tried Speedplays on one
bike and found that my foot was allowed to twist a lot more then with
my usual Shimano pedals. In fact the twisting was so bad that I was
apprehensive about standing to pedal and took the Speedplays off.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 23rd 14, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/22/2014 6:03 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
It's been years since we've had a post about a stuck stem, seat post or freewheel

OK here is a genuine tech question. This would be easy enuf to figure out on one's own by trial and error, but in the interest of saving 10 or 20 bucks:

I noticed with horror last month that my shoes are rubbing away the chainstays of my recently-purchased garage-queen 5200. I cut out some chainstay protectors from some aluminium tape which looked good but those wore thru in days. My LBS sold me some neoprene strips with velcro which are protecting allright but look stoopid, like stockings or leg warmers, and also get twisted around and look even worse.

Are the plastic sticker type ones all the same? Or is there a particular brand that wears like iron?

I would approach that with shoe position but I suppose if
you're comfortable on it try stainless exhaust system tape
at any auto parts store

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/