The Shed Thread

Old April 27th 12, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default The Shed Thread

On 27/04/2012 16:09, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:44:15 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:20:40 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

As some of you may recall, I have discovered an 8 metre by 4 metre
patio under a heap of soil and compost at the end of my garden. The
patio is now clear.

I intend to use the patio to build a log cabin and garden store.
http://www.elbecgardenbuildings.co.u...eygrove%20.jpg

Mad Dave doesn't believe I can do it - but given the quality of his
decking I have no confidence in his judgement.

The log cabin is now ordered, and I expect delivery in a couple of
weeks. But today I took the first step in the cabin's construction. I
picked up 15 breize blocks to lay the cabin's bearers on, and
positioned them roughly.

Here are a couple of before and after shots.
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/shed/00
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/shed/01

I'll keep updating as the cabin's construction progresses.

The log cabin is scheduled to arrive on Friday.
I have been busy making sure that the concrete blocks are correctly
placed so that they will be at the beginning and end of each joist,
with a central support for the longer joists. I am sure that I will
need to do some packing to ensure the joists are level - but all is
now ready...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...os/shed/02.jpg

The log cabin arrived today and the bits are stored in the day room:
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...os/shed/03.jpg
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...os/shed/04.jpg
The roof tiles are stacked in the garden.

I am now looking forward to a dry weekend and getting stuck in.

Here's a reminder of what the completed cabin should look like:
http://www.elbecgardenbuildings.co.u...eygrove%20.jpg

The retailer calls that a log cabin? It looks more like a lightly-constructed
summerhouse - and quite attractive. Will it be secure with windows as big as
that?

Old April 27th 12, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:23:23 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:20:03 +0100, Judith wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 15:42:02 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 11:38:11 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:56:46 +0100
Bertie Wooster wrote:

The blocks I have are these:
http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildin...k-Grey-9273670

"Dense" is the clue that they're not breeze blocks. Just as well,
you wouldn't want low density blocks for foundations.

So, Medwit was wrong, and building a log cabin on concrete blocks,
as I propose doing

No - you clearly thought that you were putting it on
breeze/brieze/breize blocks

Breeze blocks _are_ concrete blocks.

Oh really : there was me thinking that "breeze blocks" were made out of ash and
cinders and that is why they are called same.

Oh - hang a minute :

OED : breeze : Small cinders and cinder-dust, used in burning bricks, etc.
Breeze block. Fine cinders, crushed coke, furnace clinker and burnt brick are
used under the name of breeze in the construction of blocks for
housebuilding...Breeze-blocks are fire-resisting, light and porous, suited for
partitions and other internal walling.

Old April 27th 12, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Bertie Wooster wrote:

The blocks I have are these:
http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildin...k-Grey-9273670

"Dense" is the clue that they're not breeze blocks. Just as well,
you wouldn't want low density blocks for foundations.

So, Medwit was wrong, and building a log cabin on concrete blocks,
as I propose doing

No - you clearly thought that you were putting it on
breeze/brieze/breize blocks

Breeze blocks _are_ concrete blocks.

Don't confuse the poor man.

Oh dear - Crispin fails again at the English language test.

Breeze blocks are not made out of concrete - they are made out of ash and
cinder.

Still - you have never been one for accuracy have you.

--

Bertie Wooster's real name is Tom Crispin.
He uses the name Bertie Wooster so that people involved with

Old April 27th 12, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I think that it is its construction that defines it as a log cabin. It
is a summerhouse with storage shed combined. We want the summerhouse
to store and use our garden furniture, and the shed for garden tools.

I don't know how secure the windows will be, but our garden, although
backing onto a park, is fairly secure. There is no side access, and
there are two fences and a thick hawthorn hedge between the park and
our garden. The shed door looks robust enough, and only garden
furniture will be left in the summerhouse anyway.

I hope to mount a couple of solar panels on the roof to charge a
battery which will power a couple of LED lights. If that is
successful I may later add an inverter so I can charge garden tools.
Old April 27th 12, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Bertie Wooster wrote:

The blocks I have are these:
http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildin...k-Grey-9273670

"Dense" is the clue that they're not breeze blocks. Just as well,
you wouldn't want low density blocks for foundations.

So, Medwit was wrong, and building a log cabin on concrete blocks,
as I propose doing

No - you clearly thought that you were putting it on
breeze/brieze/breize blocks

Breeze blocks _are_ concrete blocks.

Don't confuse the poor man.

Oh dear - Crispin fails again at the English language test.

Breeze blocks are not made out of concrete - they are made out of ash and
cinder.

I'm inclined to believe Ian over Deckwit.

Still - you have never been one for accuracy have you.

Logic tells me that ash and cinder could be mixed with cement to make
light concrete blocks. But clearly this is your area of expertise not
mine.

Old April 27th 12, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Bertie Wooster wrote:

So, Medwit was wrong, and building a log cabin on concrete blocks, as
I propose doing, is a sound idea.

Depends what they're sitting on - four to six inches of compacted
gravel is often recommended. You should probably put DPC between the
blocks and the timbers too, IIRC.

Old April 27th 12, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Bertie Wooster wrote:

So, Medwit was wrong, and building a log cabin on concrete blocks, as
I propose doing, is a sound idea.

Depends what they're sitting on - four to six inches of compacted
gravel is often recommended. You should probably put DPC between the
blocks and the timbers too, IIRC.

The blocks are on a crazy paving patio. The patio has been there at
least 60 years, but I have no idea what is under the patio. The patio
itself is in excellent condition, having been burried under two or
three feet of soil and compost for the last 20 years.

I had intended to lay a damp proof course between the joists and
floor, but it makes good sense to lay a membrane on top of the
concrete blocks as well.

I am hoping the cabin will have a 30-40 year life, but perhaps I am
being wildly optimistic.

Old April 27th 12, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Bertie wrote:

So, Medwit was wrong, and building a log cabin on concrete blocks, as
I propose doing, is a sound idea.

Depends what they're sitting on - four to six inches of compacted
gravel is often recommended. You should probably put DPC between the
blocks and the timbers too, IIRC.

The blocks are on a crazy paving patio. The patio has been there at
least 60 years, but I have no idea what is under the patio.

I do :-)

GFY

Oh diddums.

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR. After his son’s murderer had been convicted, Barry
Mizen said he had been struck by a remark made by the killer’s primary

Shed Brian G UK 31 August 1st 07 05:39 PM
Shed got broken into! Eddbmxdude Unicycling 15 October 14th 06 07:24 PM
shed humping(bad shed) the unicycle man(one of many) Recumbent Biking 0 September 2nd 06 06:34 AM
Every home (or shed) should have one! cfsmtb Australia 30 September 1st 06 01:40 AM
My Shed Just zis Guy, you know? UK 17 July 3rd 04 12:54 PM