Cheapest option to build a SRAM rear wheel

Old March 25th 14, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Akins

Default Cheapest option to build a SRAM rear wheel

I have a bike with SRAM and want to build a cheap rear wheel to use on rollers.

I can't seem to make sense of the different groups and how they match up. Can someone help me choose the cheapest option (or at least tell me what other type of cassettes will match my SRAM rear wheel)?

Old March 25th 14, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:39:11 PM UTC-4, Greg Akins wrote:
I have a bike with SRAM and want to build a cheap rear wheel to use on rollers.

I can't seem to make sense of the different groups and how they match up. Can someone help me choose the cheapest option (or at least tell me what other type of cassettes will match my SRAM rear wheel)?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TRY a wheel from Nashbar. Is best reaching a conclusion that some day the 'cheap' wheel will be a roadworthy spare wheel. Plan accordingly.
Sram chains and Shimano chains are interchangeable. Also cassettes then.
Old March 25th 14, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/25/2014 12:39 PM, Greg Akins wrote:
I have a bike with SRAM and want to build a cheap rear wheel to use on rollers.

I can't seem to make sense of the different groups and how they match up. Can someone help me choose the cheapest option (or at least tell me what other type of cassettes will match my SRAM rear wheel)?

You specified low cost, so buy a modern Shimano or SRAM
compatible rear wheel. You can't build a wheel for what
cheap wheels cost.

Count the sprockets on your rear wheel. Buy a Shimano or
SRAM cassette with the same number of sprockets.
Install cassette, add rubber and ride away.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 25th 14, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:39:11 AM UTC-7, Greg Akins wrote:
I have a bike with SRAM and want to build a cheap rear wheel to use on rollers.

I can't seem to make sense of the different groups and how they match up. Can someone help me choose the cheapest option (or at least tell me what other type of cassettes will match my SRAM rear wheel)?

I think the cheapest option in this situation is often the rear wheel from a $50 bike from goodwill.
Old March 25th 14, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

$50 bike from goodwill.

CUDBE ! last we looked Velo was selling $100 wheels thru Nbar.

prices are up up up. or you picked a pre season time to think abt this. Usually February is a sale/low price time

https://www.google.com/#q=VELOCITY+B...48154%7C748160

try Craigs List and Google shop search.

Thrifts eg Salvation Army in or near upper midlcass residentialnabs often carry quality used cycles.

and the LBS may have low cost wheels to strip of a non seller used bike.