Taiwanese recumbents

Old July 2nd 03, 07:12 AM
Tom Sherman

Default Small Wheels (was: Taiwanese recumbents)

Zach Kaplan Cycles wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...
Randy Schulman wrote:
The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the
sea-weather theme) ; One is an above-steering version of their PB960
with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel instead of their 16" wheel; I
think tiny wheels are deadly....

You have just alienated the entire ownership of ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm
wheel lowracers owners.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities
Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer

I own a couple 305/406 wheeled low racers and don't feel alienated by
that statement. However just because one owns a Sunset doesn't mean it
is their prefered ride. My Sunset is collecting dust and I consider it
obsolete because my Bacchetta Aero with its dual 559 wheels is faster
on level ground, faster up hill, faster down hill, smoother riding,
better handling at high speeds, safer in traffic, lower rolling
resistance, lighter, has a more efficient drivetrain and is better
looking (all IMHO of course). As far as the wheel diameters go I'm
really becoming a believer in bigger is better. The small wheeled
compact lowracers like the Sunset only seem to have an advantage if
the rider is short or is trying to transport it inside a small
hatchback or a suitcase on an airplane.

My Sunset does also have an edge over my Aero for practical
transportation in terms of having a high capacity rear rack,
mudguards, fat tyre clearances and disc brakes. However for practical
transportation in the conditions where I'd need mudguards I prefer the
added safety and stability of a trike and for transportation in dense
urban areas I prefer the practicality and higher ride height of my HP
Velotechnik Street Machine GT which has a 406mm front wheel, 559mm
rear wheel and full suspension.

The Sunset is still a very high quality bike with many nice features
and was ahead of its time but I just don't see myself riding it much
anymore.

Zach,

The comment about alienating small wheel lowracer owners was tongue in
cheek - our numbers are so small as to be of little concern to the
importer of bikes from what is presumably a high-volume factory.

Did you decide to use ISO 559-mm wheels on your Aero for tire
availability reasons, and do the brakes have enough adjustment to
properly compensate for the 6 mm difference in wheel radius?

Looks are subjective as I find the Aero a merely acceptable looking bike
except for the "tweener" handlebars, which I would replace with narrow
T-bars for aesthetic reasons if I bought one. I have also observed many
women reacting to the Sunset in a manner similar to the way they would
to a cute puppy or kitten which I do not see happening with an Aero.

I do transport my Sunset inside a small hatchback on a regular basis and
not having to do any assembly/disassembly is a positive attribute, as I
find assembling and disassembling bikes on a regular basis to be a major
PITA.

Small wheels have a psychological advantage as most upright riders as
consternated to find a bike with "kiddie wheels" going faster than they
are.

Finally, a lowracer will be more responsive than a highracer due to the
shorter vertical moment arm between the tire contact patches and the
center of gravity of the combined bike/rider. Whether or not this is an
advantage will depend entirely on rider preference.

Old July 2nd 03, 10:21 AM
Dave Larrington

Default Taiwanese recumbents

Tom Sherman wrote:

Does anyone have the number of Pharobike Lowfats and ISO 305-mm front
wheel Ross Festine were made?

Were there *any* 305-front Festinae? I'd be somewhat surprised coz 305 is a
rare size over here and good tyres in it are very hard to find.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old July 2nd 03, 12:15 PM
John Olson

Dave Larrington wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

Does anyone have the number of Pharobike Lowfats and ISO 305-mm front
wheel Ross Festine were made?

Were there *any* 305-front Festinae? I'd be somewhat surprised coz
305 is a rare size over here and good tyres in it are very hard to
find.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

I rode at least one of them, and vaguely recall seeing another being
packaged for a customer. IIRC, it was just the last few that had 305's.

Nobody said they they had good tyres :-)

Cheers

John

---

Old July 2nd 03, 03:48 PM
Zach Kaplan Cycles

Randy Schulman wrote:
[...]

Yes and yes. Also I can runn wider tyres with 559mm wheels. For
instance the 25-559 Schwalbe Stelvios I'm using have an actual width
of 27mm on the HED Jet wheels I'm using. That is a wider actual width
than any 571mm tyre, even the Terry Tellus ST that is labeled 28-571.

Looks are subjective as I find the Aero a merely acceptable looking bike

Correct, that is why I wrote "all IMHO of course" above.

except for the "tweener" handlebars, which I would replace with narrow
T-bars for aesthetic reasons if I bought one. I have also observed many
women reacting to the Sunset in a manner similar to the way they would
to a cute puppy or kitten which I do not see happening with an Aero.

I actually installed Bacchetta handlebars and stem on my Sunset in
January 2003 because I find them more comfortable, more aerodynamic,
they allow leaning forward when climbing or hitting large bumps, make
it easier to get on and off the bike and don't have any tiller effect.
I think the looks of my Sunset improved with the Bacchetta bars and
stem though I still think my Sunset looks awkward.

I don't ride recumbents to get attention from women but for what it is
worth the Aero has generated much more attention and positive feedback
on the club rides I've taken it on than the Sunset. I've had numerous
women (and men) approach me about the Aero and complement me on it. It
seems upon seeing it for the first time women like to touch the filter
foam on the M5 seat. I've seen this happen numerous times, sort of
like petting the cute puppy. Also being more up at their height now
and able to climb at their speed I find I'm talking with road bike
riding club members much more now. There was one woman who hardly ever
talked to me or acknowledged me in the past and I recall she would
always outclimb me on steep climbs when I rode the Sunset. After her
initial round of complements about the Aero I've now ridden and talked
with her at length on many rides and I have to back off on the climbs
so I don't leave her behind.

I do transport my Sunset inside a small hatchback on a regular basis and
not having to do any assembly/disassembly is a positive attribute, as I
find assembling and disassembling bikes on a regular basis to be a major
PITA.

As I pointed out above that is an advantage of a compact lowracer such
as the Sunset over a large wheeled SWB such as the Aero. However if
someone wanted to carry the bike on a roof rack (I wouldn't put any
expensive bike on one for any significant distance) the Aero does have
the advantage of a conventional double blade fork that interfaces with
conventional roof racks.

Small wheels have a psychological advantage as most upright riders as
consternated to find a bike with "kiddie wheels" going faster than they
are.

True but I find it much more harmonious to blend in with the roadies
more and be accepted more as one of them on a larger wheeled bike
climbing at their speeds. I used to bring a lot of esoteric machinery
on club rides such as trikes (often with Rohloff hubs), Sunsets and
Festinas. There was always a sense of novelty with the small wheels
and people didn't expect them to be as fast as they were, especially
the small wheels fitted with fat tyres. However I was always on the
fringe and often left behind on the climbs and there are a lot of
long, steep climbs in my area. With the Aero I interface with the
upright club riders in a much more harmonious way yet am still
considered to be unique due to the different position I'm riding in.
Many people have expressed to me that they much prefer riding with me
when I'm on the Aero than a low racer as I'm easier to talk to being
closer to their height, can give them somewhat of a draft and am
easier for them to see. I have pulled some pacelines on the Aero and
have received appreciation for that. This wouldn't have ever been able
to happen on the Sunset unless they were all riding low recumbents
too.

Finally, a lowracer will be more responsive than a highracer due to the
shorter vertical moment arm between the tire contact patches and the
center of gravity of the combined bike/rider. Whether or not this is an
advantage will depend entirely on rider preference.

I actually don't notice much difference in that respect though I know
in theory you are correct. For me both bikes are adequately responsive
and adequately stable though I do find the Aero has the edge with high
speed stability, particularly on the rough roads we have around here.
I'd rather hit a bump at 70 km/h with the 559mm front wheel of the
Aero than with the 305mm front wheel of the Sunset.

Zach Kaplan

Old July 2nd 03, 03:55 PM
Zach Kaplan Cycles

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message ...
Tom Sherman wrote:

Does anyone have the number of Pharobike Lowfats and ISO 305-mm front
wheel Ross Festine were made?

Were there *any* 305-front Festinae? I'd be somewhat surprised coz 305 is a
rare size over here and good tyres in it are very hard to find.

There were. Peter Ross brought a Festina with a 305mm front wheel and
reverse rake fork to the World HPV Championships at Interlaken,
Switzerland in 1999. I tried it out there as did many other people.
This was a model for riders who weren't tall enough for the 406mm
front wheel. I have no idea how many of these 305/406 Festinas were
produced. The tyre on the one I rode was a European brand called the
Schwalbe City Jet 54-305.

I think about a dozen Pharobike Lowfats were made in the first batch.
However someone got ahold of the remaining parts inventory from the
estate of Dan Duchaine and sold them on eBay a while back and I
believe there were some unassembled frames included so there may be
more Lowfats on the road now than the amount that Dan had actually
built up and shipped out.

Zach Kaplan

Old July 2nd 03, 06:48 PM
Steve Christensen

Zach,

Did you decide to use ISO 559-mm wheels on your Aero for tire
availability reasons, and do the brakes have enough adjustment to
properly compensate for the 6 mm difference in wheel radius?

Yes and yes. Also I can runn wider tyres with 559mm wheels. For
instance the 25-559 Schwalbe Stelvios I'm using have an actual width
of 27mm on the HED Jet wheels I'm using. That is a wider actual width
than any 571mm tyre, even the Terry Tellus ST that is labeled 28-571.

Zach Kaplan

Zach,

I thought I remembered reading an article by you extolling the virtues of fat
tires on recumbents for their better handling characteristics. Given that you
are now using just about the most narrow tire in bentdom on your Aero, have you
changed your mind? Or is it that the Aero is a special purpose road bike that
needs narrow tires to live up to its potential?

Steve Christensen
Midland, MI