Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

Old February 26th 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

Are there any secrets to those?

I couldn't even find a pic with all the parts.

It looks pretty standard centerpull tho, right?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 26th 18, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 03:18:01 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:
Are there any secrets to those?

I couldn't even find a pic with all the parts.

It looks pretty standard centerpull tho, right?

The main secret is setting up the saddle wire for maximum mechanical
advantage. Sheldon Brown has an article on that for centerpulls and
cantilevers on his web site and there are other sources. Good brake
pads too, the ones with those brakes are likely to be decades old.
Old February 26th 18, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/25/2018 8:18 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Are there any secrets to those?

I couldn't even find a pic with all the parts.

It looks pretty standard centerpull tho, right?

Maybe. Which model?
http://equusbicycle.com/bike/shimano.../14shimano.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 26th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/26/2018 7:15 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/25/2018 8:18 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Are there any secrets to those?

I couldn't even find a pic with all the parts.

It looks pretty standard centerpull tho, right?

Maybe. Which model?
http://equusbicycle.com/bike/shimano.../14shimano.jpg

sorry here's the actual link:
http://equusbicycle.com/bike/shimano...ocat750015.pdf

Old February 26th 18, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Tim McNamara wrote:

The main secret is setting up the saddle wire

There is only one wire what I can see.
And a little arm that connects to it. I guess
that could be a wire on another model instead
of the little arm. By saddle wire, do you mean
the wire-wire or the little arm that could be
a wire?

BTW here we see the advantage of a terminology
poster which John B. ridiculed in another
thread

Good brake pads too, the ones with those
brakes are likely to be decades old.

Good point.

This one is a Mustang from Trelleborg. It has
a "Gel" saddle from Bianchi and the Shimano 5SP
Positron shifter with a single chainring front.
Perhaps somewhat surprisingly it has a kickstand
and a rack. The tires are 32-630 or 27x1-1/4.

Old February 26th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Maybe. Which model?

http://equusbicycle.com/bike/shimano...ocat750015.pdf

It looks very much like the centerpulls on
page 2 only instead of a horizontal wire there
is a little arm that hooks into the
main/only wire.

The wire goes to the right to a clamp and
symmetrically from left comes the arm that
hooks onto the wire.

There is a little quick-release-ish lever that
comes with the little arm.

"tourney shimano" is on the front. The brake is
all black.

Old February 26th 18, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

This one is a Mustang from Trelleborg. It has
a "Gel" saddle from Bianchi and the Shimano
5SP Positron shifter with a single chainring
front. Perhaps somewhat surprisingly it has
a kickstand and a rack. The tires are 32-630
or 27x1-1/4.

On the chainring it says
"Japan Threearrows 46T".

Old February 26th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

On the chainring it says
"Japan Threearrows 46T".

Sorry that was from another bike. On the road
bike are more "T"s than that!

Old February 27th 18, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 22:23:37 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:

The main secret is setting up the saddle wire

There is only one wire what I can see.
And a little arm that connects to it. I guess
that could be a wire on another model instead
of the little arm. By saddle wire, do you mean
the wire-wire or the little arm that could be
a wire?

BTW here we see the advantage of a terminology
poster which John B. ridiculed in another
thread

Hardly ridicule :-) Ever see a terminology poster on the wall of a
shop where people actually knew what they were doing?

I initially trained as a machinist in a shop where actual "Machinists"
worked. The Apprentice Master had gone to work as an apprentice
himself when he was 14 years old and was nearly 70 years old when I
knew him.

Not a poster in sight.

Good brake pads too, the ones with those
brakes are likely to be decades old.

Good point.

This one is a Mustang from Trelleborg. It has
a "Gel" saddle from Bianchi and the Shimano 5SP
Positron shifter with a single chainring front.
Perhaps somewhat surprisingly it has a kickstand
and a rack. The tires are 32-630 or 27x1-1/4.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 27th 18, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

Hardly ridicule :-) Ever see a terminology
poster on the wall of a shop where people
actually knew what they were doing?

I initially trained as a machinist in a shop
where actual "Machinists" worked.
The Apprentice Master had gone to work as an
apprentice himself when he was 14 years old
and was nearly 70 years old when I knew him.

Not a poster in sight.

OK, so I shouldn't do it, just because some
one-dimensional guy you knew didn't do it all
his long life?

Why are you telling me this, really?