D-A chain noise (?) and correct chain length

Old July 25th 03, 08:49 PM
Art Harris

Default Correct chain length revisited

Derk wrote:
loop the chain around the big chainring and the big cog on the rear
bypassing the derailiure, match the ends up and add one link.

I then consulted the Parks website and they say one should add 1 inch to the
length found by using this method. According to them 1 inch=2 rivets.

So are the Parks people right?

1 link = 1 inch

A complete link consists of an "inny" and an "outy"

Art Harris
Old July 26th 03, 12:32 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
it's inconsiderate not to post your address

You're not getting enough spam yet. Wait a few months....

I'm up to a consistant 500-600 per day - but mostly for another reason.

Still, I wouldn't even *think* of posting my legitimate address in a newsgroup
any more than I'd put my telephone number up and ask strangers to make sales
calls to it.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old July 27th 03, 05:30 AM
A Muzi

"Derk" wrote in message
Bonsoir l'expert cycliste qui s'est rase la barbe depuis quelque temps!

Sheldon Brown wrote:
That's not the best way to go, but since it gave the same result in this
instance, where's the problem?

Well, I have 4 bikes and I was looking for a fool proof method that I can
use quickly and reliably on all my bikes.

(derk) I told my mechanic the following: put the chain over the biggest cog
and big
chainwheel without passing through the derailleur. Then, add 1 link to the
shortest way to connect the chain. He did this and said: "it's too short"!

The problem for me was the difference between links and rivets. I thought

2
rivets equalled 2 links, but I understand that's not the case.

Anyway, I couldn't convince him to make the chain shorter, though I think
the chain is too long, because I hear the chain rattling when I go over
bumps. I think it hits the big chainring when I'm on the smaller

chainring.
I ride a 42/53 13-23 D-A group and I'm one of those people who go crazy of
moises while riding, so I mounted a brand new D-A chain just to find out

if
the chain's length is to blame for the noise, or that something else is
causing it.

BTW: when he judged it using the method recommended by Shimano, I find

that
the jockey wheels are not aligned, but that the lower one is behind the
upper one, but according to him one mustn't watch the center of the cage
bolts, but the wheels themselves, which makes a difference IMHO.

The chain dragging on the outer ring when in your small one is unrelated to
chain length. Annoying, but not part of that issue.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old July 27th 03, 07:08 AM
Derk

A Muzi wrote:
The chain dragging on the outer ring when in your small one is unrelated
to chain length. Annoying, but not part of that issue.

I think I didn't describe this clearly, since I'm no Englsih native speaker:
it doesn't make a continuous noise because the chain touches the big ring
all the time when the chain is on the small ring, but it seems to touch the
big chainring only when I go over bumps in the street, due to lateral flex
which I think is caused by it's length. (lack of tension).

Could that be the case?

Greets, Derk