"Surge in Off-Roading Stirs Dust and Debate in West"

Old January 25th 08, 05:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default "Surge in Off-Roading Stirs Dust and Debate in West"

They sound just like mountain bikers!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/us...a1&oref=slogin

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 26th 08, 03:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JP

Default Mikey the Moron Misquotes Again

Nowhere in the article is any mention of a mountain biker.
The picture acompanying the article is of a dirt bike.
Every incident described involved an ATV.

A little excerpt, unedited............

"Forty years ago when I was out cowboying I never saw a soul," said Heidi
Redd, who operates the
Dugout Ranch near Canyonlands National Park in southeastern Utah. "Now it's
at a point where you
realize the public land is not yours, you're just one of the users. And
whether it's A.T.V.'s, horses or climbers, it's a traffic jam."
Any user can contribute to the traffic jam, but the off-highway vehicles do
damage disproportionate to their numbers.
In addition to loud engines, they have soft tires and deep treads that bite
more deeply than a foot or a hoof.
When they go off-trail, consequences often follow: erosion, destruction of
fragile desert soils or historical artifacts, and disturbance of wildlife
habitats.

Mike Vandeman adds to his collection of phony documentation and false
conclusion with this post
again living up to his reputation as a pseudo-scholar and a prevaricator.

JP

Old January 26th 08, 03:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.soc, rec.backcountry,ca.environment, sci.environment
pmh

"...a point where you realize the public land is not yours, you're
just one of the users."

This, obviously, is some new and subtle use of the word "public" that
I was previously not aware of!

PMH
Old January 26th 08, 06:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:34:34 GMT, "JP" wrote:

Nowhere in the article is any mention of a mountain biker.
The picture acompanying the article is of a dirt bike.
Every incident described involved an ATV.

" avid mountain biker". DUH!