Brake Lever Not Springing Back

Old September 18th 05, 12:54 AM
Jeff Starr

Default Brake Lever Not Springing Back

Hi, my right side Shimano DA brifter isn't returning to its normal
position. This is when braking, shifting is fine.

I have checked the brake caliper, that is fine. I disconnected the
cable and moved it forward, no fraying, corrosion, or other obvious
problem. Everything is clean. I believe that it is in the lever
itself, not the cable, but I could be wrong. The levers have just over
5000 miles of use and are about 1.5yrs old.

The left side lever springs back nicely. The right side suddenly is
slow coming back and doesn't always come back.

Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this?

Thank you,
Jeff
Old September 18th 05, 07:22 PM
Doug

Are you sure that your cable housing is OK. There is no return spring in
the DA lever itself. The spring tension comes from the caliper itself.
Something with the cable/housing is likely the issue.

Old September 18th 05, 10:34 PM
Hank Wirtz

"Doug" wrote in
:

Are you sure that your cable housing is OK. There is no return spring
in the DA lever itself. The spring tension comes from the caliper
itself. Something with the cable/housing is likely the issue.

Huh? Exploded view says otherwise. See part #6:

http://tinyurl.com/832av

-HW
Old September 19th 05, 06:28 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Are you sure that your cable housing is OK. There is no return spring
in the DA lever itself. The spring tension comes from the caliper
itself. Something with the cable/housing is likely the issue.

Huh? Exploded view says otherwise. See part #6:

http://tinyurl.com/832av

-HW

True enough, but that spring's mostly there to keep things from rattling; it
really doesn't provide that much return force. Most likely the guy's got a
kink someplace in his housing.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 19th 05, 06:30 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Hi, my right side Shimano DA brifter isn't returning to its normal
position. This is when braking, shifting is fine.

I have checked the brake caliper, that is fine. I disconnected the
cable and moved it forward, no fraying, corrosion, or other obvious
problem. Everything is clean. I believe that it is in the lever
itself, not the cable, but I could be wrong. The levers have just over
5000 miles of use and are about 1.5yrs old.

The left side lever springs back nicely. The right side suddenly is
slow coming back and doesn't always come back.

Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this?

Thank you,
Jeff

Jeff: Most likely you have a split rear cable run, where the cable housing
stops on the top tube, runs bare along its length, and then goes back into
housing again. If that's the case, you can pull the cable away from the
frame, engaging the brake, and if it snaps back nicely, you now know that
the problem isn't in the rear half of the cable/housing (or the brake mech
itself).

It's not likely that the problem is in the actual lever, unless you've
crashed it. More common would be a kink in the cable housing, which might
happen if the handlebar is turned all the way around, especially if the
cable/housing at the front is a bit too short.

Old September 20th 05, 01:47 AM
Doug

What he said!

Sorry if my post was less than 100% accurate.

. ..

Old September 20th 05, 02:59 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jeff Starr wrote:
Hi, my right side Shimano DA brifter isn't returning to its normal
position. This is when braking, shifting is fine.

I have checked the brake caliper, that is fine. I disconnected the
cable and moved it forward, no fraying, corrosion, or other obvious
problem. Everything is clean. I believe that it is in the lever
itself, not the cable, but I could be wrong. The levers have just over
5000 miles of use and are about 1.5yrs old.

The left side lever springs back nicely. The right side suddenly is
slow coming back and doesn't always come back.

Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this?

Thank you,
Jeff

Disconnect the cable, untape the brake housing, Reconnect the inner
wire, then really squeeze the lever hard, to seat the housing into the
lever. I think the housing isn't seated.