Tire recommedations needed

Old March 21st 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
WhiteTea

Default Tire recommedations needed

I have a ' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

Thanks,
Andy
Old March 21st 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Mar 20, 8:52*pm, WhiteTea wrote:
I have a *' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

Thanks,
* * * * * * *Andy

Make sure you're looking at the right kind of 26 inch tire. A Raleigh
three speed with a tire marked "26 x 1 3/8" is _probably_ a 590mm rim
size. The more common 26 inch tires marked with decimal sizes like
"26x1.375" are 559mm rim size. Your choices in 590 are limited.

Some options:

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=2669
http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/c-68-650a.aspx

The Panaracer Col de la Vie will be a smooth comfortable tire if it's
anything like their Pasela. The Schwalbe Marathon will be more
puncture resistant at the cost of some weight and rolling resistance.

-pm
Old March 21st 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

What ever you do, buy them from http://www.biketiresdirect.com/ !

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ff8c4efae32b64

Old March 21st 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Mar 20, 11:02*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Mar 20, 8:52 pm, WhiteTea wrote:

I have a *' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

What ever you do, buy them fromhttp://www.biketiresdirect.com/!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ff8c4efae32b64

And DON'T get them from the shop who recommended a 26x1.5!

I second the plug for BTD...Excellent service and prices.

From what they stock, I'd recommend the Continental City Ride:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pcocr...de_tire/pp.htm

$19.95 each. Thick, smooth-rolling tread, and an anti-puncture layer.
Old March 21st 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 21, 1:48*am, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 20, 11:02*pm, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:52 pm, WhiteTea wrote:

I have a *' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

What ever you do, buy them fromhttp://www.biketiresdirect.com/!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ff8c4efae32b64

And DON'T get them from the shop who recommended a 26x1.5!

I second the plug for BTD...Excellent service and prices.

From what they stock, I'd recommend the Continental City Ride:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pcocr...de_tire/pp.htm

$19.95 each. Thick, smooth-rolling tread, and an anti-puncture layer.

That's the only 590 tire they stock, FWIW. It's fine, up there with
Kenda or Cheng Shin stuff of similar design--the puncture resistance
and durability dealt with via simple chunkiness.

However, if the OP's tires are in good shape, using a tire liner like
a Mr. Tuffy the cheapest way to resolve the problem. Some 700s from
Price point are $10/pr.

Old March 21st 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Mar 21, 7:36*am, landotter wrote:

That's the only 590 tire they stock, FWIW.

No, they stock models by Kenda and Innova as well. They're OUT OF
stock on those at the moment, but the Kenda has an ETA of Friday. No
ETA on the Innova. Either way, the Conti's the better choice.
Old March 21st 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 21, 12:06*pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 21, 7:36*am, landotter wrote:

That's the only 590 tire they stock, FWIW.

No, they stock models by Kenda and Innova as well. They're OUT OF
stock on those at the moment, but the Kenda has an ETA of Friday. No
ETA on the Innova. Either way, the Conti's the better choice.

They listed the Kendas wrong, didn't see them under city tires. All
three tires are old fashioned thick gumwalls, not that there's
anything wrong with that. My choice would be cheapo Kendas with Mr.
Tuffys.
Old March 21st 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
WhiteTea

On Mar 21, 12:48*am, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 20, 11:02*pm, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:52 pm, WhiteTea wrote:

I have a *' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

What ever you do, buy them fromhttp://www.biketiresdirect.com/!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ff8c4efae32b64

And DON'T get them from the shop who recommended a 26x1.5!

I second the plug for BTD...Excellent service and prices.

From what they stock, I'd recommend the Continental City Ride:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pcocr...de_tire/pp.htm

$19.95 each. Thick, smooth-rolling tread, and an anti-puncture layer.

Thanks Hank.

It looks like the best value.

Andy
Old March 21st 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
WhiteTea

On Mar 20, 11:02*pm, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:52 pm, WhiteTea wrote:

I have a *' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

What ever you do, buy them fromhttp://www.biketiresdirect.com/!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ff8c4efae32b64

And DON'T get them from the shop who recommended a 26x1.5!

I second the plug for BTD...Excellent service and prices.

From what they stock, I'd recommend the Continental City Ride:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pcocr...de_tire/pp.htm

$19.95 each. Thick, smooth-rolling tread, and an anti-puncture layer.

That's the only 590 tire they stock, FWIW. It's fine, up there with
Kenda or Cheng Shin stuff of similar design--the puncture resistance
and durability dealt with via simple chunkiness.

However, if the OP's tires are in good shape, using a tire liner like
a Mr. Tuffy the cheapest way to resolve the problem. Some 700s from
Price point are $10/pr.

I will get the tire liner and install when I get the tires.

But going from 40 p.s.i. tires to 80 will make the ride a tad bit
rougher.

Does that mean the increased speed will minimize contact with the
sidewalk "mines" ? :-)

Andy
Old March 21st 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Mar 20, 11:02*pm, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:52 pm, WhiteTea wrote:

I have a *' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

What ever you do, buy them fromhttp://www.biketiresdirect.com/!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ff8c4efae32b64

And DON'T get them from the shop who recommended a 26x1.5!

I second the plug for BTD...Excellent service and prices.

From what they stock, I'd recommend the Continental City Ride:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pcocr...de_tire/pp.htm

$19.95 each. Thick, smooth-rolling tread, and an anti-puncture layer.

That's the only 590 tire they stock, FWIW. It's fine, up there with
Kenda or Cheng Shin stuff of similar design--the puncture resistance
and durability dealt with via simple chunkiness.

However, if the OP's tires are in good shape, using a tire liner like
a Mr. Tuffy the cheapest way to resolve the problem. Some 700s from
Price point are $10/pr.

I will get the tire liner and install when I get the tires.

But going from 40 p.s.i. tires to 80 will make the ride a tad bit
rougher.

Does that mean the increased speed will minimize contact with the
sidewalk "mines" ? :-)

Andy

80 is a maximum for the 700x32. I just looked at Conti's website and
for the 26x1 3/8, it's 58 recommended, 70 max.

http://tinyurl.com/cityride