Custom made hubs?

Old August 22nd 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
zogspot

Default Custom made hubs?

Hi Folks,

I was looking to design and build my own bicycle and need to find some
place to obtain some custom made parts. In particular, I need a back
hub with ratcheted bearings on both sides so that the wheel may be
driven independently from either the left or right sides. Does anyone
have any idea where I could find someone who could produce such a
thing?

Thanks,

Dan
Old August 22nd 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

zogspot wrote:

I was looking to design and build my own bicycle and need to find some
place to obtain some custom made parts. *In particular, I need a back
hub with ratcheted bearings on both sides so that the wheel may be
driven independently from either the left or right sides. *Does anyone
have any idea where I could find someone who could produce such a
thing?

Phil Wood is know to do this sort of thing, but it'll cost ya.

BMX hubs that had RH and LH freewheel threading on both sides were
common for a short time about ten years ago; it would be easier to
start with a hub like that and retrofit the axle assembly as necessary
than to start from scratch. I might even have one socked away in the
weird pile-- I used such a hub years ago to make an electric bike with
separate and independently freewheeling drivetrains for pedals and
electric motor.

If you can fully draw and dimension the part you have in mind,
eMachineShop.com might be a good place to get a first article.

What do you have in mind for this special hub? Maybe we can help you
figure how to accomplish your goal less expensively.

Chalo
Old August 22nd 09, 08:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
zogspot wrote:
I was looking to design and build my own bicycle and need to find some
place to obtain some custom made parts. In particular, I need a back
hub with ratcheted bearings on both sides so that the wheel may be
driven independently from either the left or right sides. Does anyone
have any idea where I could find someone who could produce such a
thing?

Phil Wood is know to do this sort of thing, but it'll cost ya.[...]

Expensive, indeed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1939615951/sizes/o/in/set-72157619269233805/.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Celebrity culture is an opposite of community, informing us
Old August 22nd 09, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On Aug 22, 7:58*am, RonSonic wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:18:55 -0700 (PDT), zogspot wrote:

Pedal forward for low gear, pedal backward for high?

I think this would be ok on flat land but the 'backpedalling gear' is
usually used for climbing iirc.

Tandem with one rider in front and one behind the wheel?

Think of the possibilities with a group ride. The sotkers can not
only engage in face to face conversation but also cook and supply food
and play card and board games.

Custom made unis by Ed Mosimann Erik Unicycling 4 November 21st 08 07:20 PM
Custom Made Titanium Frame's and Seatpost's padst3r Unicycling 4 July 5th 08 07:24 AM
Custom Made Titanium Frame's and Seatpost's unibikeling Unicycling 0 July 5th 08 06:01 AM
Custom hubs kerosian Unicycling 30 December 20th 07 03:06 AM
custom made jerseys help Meeba Australia 2 April 11th 04 12:20 PM