Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

Old August 21st 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Dan C

Default Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:24:22 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

Paul O wrote:
Bill Baka wrote, On 8/20/2009 3:11 PM:
Paul O wrote:
snip
Actually, I may have found the modern definition of "hobo" in the
'The Online Slang Dictionary' (certainly not an unimpeachable source)

1) Homie;good friend. 2) Person whose got a bad style or no GQ

See http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/hobo

If the kids are using the second definition, then I can understand
why they might call Bill Baka a hobo. ;-)

Wrong Bill, I think. Anyway, definition number 2 is grammatically
incorrect if you look at the words. I only go the Hobo look when I go
for an all day trip away from supplies and have to use the back racks
plus a large school back pack full of food and water. 100 miles and
zero stores/towns/shade requires a bit of preparation.

Bill (Hobo?) Baka

If definition 2 is currently the most prevalent form of hobo, then on
most days it would apply to me as well. No one would ever accuse me of
being stylish and I'll never be asked to pose for the cover of GQ
magazine.

Heh.
My style exactly. I have only worn a tie once in my life and that was
for a picture my mom had taken of me at 8 years old. I dress for my
comfort, not someone else's fashion sense. Hell, I even took a flight to
see Delco executives in a casual shirt and pants, being as I was an
engineer and not a 'suit'.
Bill Baka

Bill. You've forgotten again. You are *NOT* an engineer, and never have
been an engineer. If you were, you'd have worn a tie on the day you
graduated from college. But you didn't go to college, Billy. Therefore,
you are *NOT* an engineer.

Simple, eh? Even you can understand that, can't you Bill?

Need help? -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
Get a job! -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg
Old August 21st 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Paul O wrote:
[...]

Meh? I didn't wear a tie to my graduation, I wore a gown.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old August 21st 09, 02:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Aug 20, 3:30*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 18, 3:54*pm, Cully J wrote:

On Aug 18, 3:03*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:

Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket. I'm starting to feel persecuted. Even the cops give me a long
look over. On the flip-side I was driving through Boston and Cambridge
yesterday. WOW! Peddlebike Meca! All KINDS of bikes, every where with
all kinds of riders. I was all like...wow......."

***

It's the same down here, particularly when you carry panniers ("bags"
to the lay people). Actually I'm so pro about it that I don't know if
I look like a VIP hobo or eccentric millionaire. I like to consider
myself an ECCENTRIC PENNYLESS, but some people fail to get the
distinction between that an hobo, or between that and a millionaire.

I have even made a t-shirt that announces that in bold letters, so
there's no confusion.

"I'm an ECCENTRIC PENNYLESS"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

*http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Pretty soon gas will be a lot more expensive that people will think
that those of us who have been riding bikes are, the opposite of
"hobos", totally wealthy folks...

I don't know but I wear the same jerseys and shorts for a long time.
One of my *fashion conscious friends told me that people would through
quarters at me when I ride by.- Hide quoted text -

If they don't, try this other method...

(I answer second)

Originally Posted by Tourister
"The bike helmet makes all the differance for me.. If I wear my
baseball cap most people ignore me on the bike path asuming I am
homeless.. If I wear my bike helmut the whole world changes and I get
good mornings etc from most people...
As above the homeless here are well rpovided for.. They eat for free,
have shelters for overnight, all seem to be getting checks of one sort
or another.. Problem is alcohol, drugs and mental problems..."

***

So if you want to ride across America for free... do NOT wear a
helmet!

Just kidding. The vest is perhaps even more important as they see you
before the accident happens.

Actually that's the way I'm riding on the road now (no helmet, Indiana
Banana hat) for short distances since the heat will kill me if not a
car.

NOTE: Indiana Banana is a tropical version of Indiana Jones, who's
more appropriate to the heat and the Banana Republica where I live --
or should I say, SURVIVE.

In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do. (Hey,
ladies can be tough too!)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old August 21st 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
Dan C wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:24:22 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

My style exactly. I have only worn a tie once in my life and that
was for a picture my mom had taken of me at 8 years old. I dress
for my comfort, not someone else's fashion sense. Hell, I even took
a flight to see Delco executives in a casual shirt and pants, being
as I was an engineer and not a 'suit'.
Bill Baka

Bill. You've forgotten again. You are *NOT* an engineer, and never
have been an engineer. If you were, you'd have worn a tie on the
day you graduated from college. But you didn't go to college,
Billy. Therefore, you are *NOT* an engineer.

Simple, eh? Even you can understand that, can't you Bill?

Meh? I didn't wear a tie to my graduation, I wore a gown.

Evening or Designer?

Old August 21st 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
John Thompson

On 2009-08-19, Keiron wrote:

Tom Sherman ??_?? wrote:
datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
[...]
maybe ya'll have malaria ?

We will have it in the southern US soon enough due to global warming.

Malaria doesn't have much to do with temperature.

no?

No. Maleria was found in Wisconsin well into the 19th century, and
goodness knows it's not tropical here.

--

-John )
Old August 21st 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Dan C wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:24:22 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

My style exactly. I have only worn a tie once in my life and that
was for a picture my mom had taken of me at 8 years old. I dress
for my comfort, not someone else's fashion sense. Hell, I even took
a flight to see Delco executives in a casual shirt and pants, being
as I was an engineer and not a 'suit'.
Bill Baka

Bill. You've forgotten again. You are *NOT* an engineer, and never
have been an engineer. If you were, you'd have worn a tie on the
day you graduated from college. But you didn't go to college,
Billy. Therefore, you are *NOT* an engineer.

Simple, eh? Even you can understand that, can't you Bill?

Meh? I didn't wear a tie to my graduation, I wore a gown.

Evening or Designer?

Strapless.

nate

(there's a mental image that will stick with you for a while, eh?)

Old August 21st 09, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article
,
dbrower wrote:

In my kids' colloquial speech, "hobo" is applied mostly to homeless
people who probably represent the lineal descendants of the originals,
so it seems "correct" if not particularly nice. Not much different
the "bum", I suppose.

It's now frequently used in comedy, probably because it is a funnier
word than "homeless". John Hodgman uses it extensively, and it
seemed to have had some recent life before he started flogging it.

I abide with the tried and true `derelict'.

1. Given up or forsaken by the natural owner or guardian;
left and abandoned.
Ë™
2. Lost; adrift; hence, wanting; careless; neglectful; unfaithful.

--
Michael Press
Old August 21st 09, 07:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Michael Press writes:
In article
,
dbrower wrote:

In my kids' colloquial speech, "hobo" is applied mostly to homeless
people who probably represent the lineal descendants of the originals,
so it seems "correct" if not particularly nice. Not much different
the "bum", I suppose.

It's now frequently used in comedy, probably because it is a funnier
word than "homeless". John Hodgman uses it extensively, and it
seemed to have had some recent life before he started flogging it.

I abide with the tried and true `derelict'.

1. Given up or forsaken by the natural owner or guardian;
left and abandoned.
Ë™
2. Lost; adrift; hence, wanting; careless; neglectful; unfaithful.

The "real" hobos of days gone by were not derelict.
They just pathologically needed freedom and enough
income to get by. They needed, and indeed sought
paying jobs.

I opine hoboism peaked during the Dirty Thirties
and the Great Depression.

During the Thirties, some folks simply had to travel
from town to town on an austerely-limited budget, just
to find any sort of work at all.

They weren't neglectful, they were just neglected.
Disposable but willing workforce.

Some of 'em became enured to it, and it became the
only lifestyle that suited them. After all, it
afforded them with freedom of mobility, and freedom
from being weighted down with a pile of store-bought
crap.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old August 21st 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tim McNamara

In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

In article , Michael
Press writes:
In article
,
dbrower wrote:

[...]

And are still around. We call them "migrant workers" these days. They
are simultaneously depended upon and vilified, depending on the
political expediency of the moment.
Old August 22nd 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Bill Baka

Paul O wrote:
Paul O wrote:
[...]

Maybe we should team up and start our own line of of overpriced clothing
and accessories. We could sell them under the trademark "Hobo Rags"
;-)

That I could go for. I always defy convention anyway, so why not make
money by starting a new trend?

Bill