South African Uni-Hockey

Old July 1st 04, 10:08 AM
GILD

Default South African Uni-Hockey

in the (unlikely) event of any south african unicyclists lurking around
these forums, i thought i'd post info about the ongoing saga of trying
to get some uni-hockey going in south africa

we've now found a venue, an outdoor in-line hockey rink
complete with a wall that's about 1m high all the way around the rink
the corners are nicely bevelled and they have goal posts
all we need now are the players...

brass tacks:
Saturday 3rd of July
Ranger's In-Line Hockey Rink
c/o Short- and Boundary Streets
Linden
(directly opposite the Linden Police Station.)
(used to be the Linden Tennis Club)
(still so indicated in the map-book)

time:
13h00-16h00 (yeah, right!)

bring:
uni (20" or 24")
street hockey stick (there r some xtras lying around)
tennis ball (we seem to pop them at a fair rate)
sensible shoes (allways wanted to write that)
sense of fun and humour

cost:
R25-00 per player (this what they're charging us for the use of the
rink)
spectators free!!

soft drinks and snacks will be on sale from their kiosk
i'll bring a cooler bag in case anyone is in need of 'being beered'
beer profits will go into the fund to get us to the next international
uni-hockey tournament

for more detail, ph me or mail me
dave
082-684-7399

i hope to have some pics to post on monday

ps. this is all joe marshall's fault
thanx joe

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser (ocfopgm)

If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(
http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

Old July 1st 04, 10:36 AM
joemarshall

wow, that all sounds pretty organised.

Hockey is great for beginners because you can get from almost not riding
a unicycle at all to riding it okay and playing hockey so quickly. It
might be worth going to the local paper to try and attract some
beginners, or people who used to ride a unicycle when they were
younger.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old July 1st 04, 10:57 AM
GILD

here's a rough draft of the press release i'm going to send out
i'm leaving it this late because i'm not sure how many people are
actually going to pitch up and i dont want a journo to pitch up with
only three of us playing
at least this way they'll know about it and if there is any interest
from the local press, they can phone me and we can set something up
later

as for the 'pretty organised' part of it...
smoke and mirrors my friend
'-)

Unicycle Hockey Finds a Home in South Africa

Unicycle Hockey is a game that's been descibed as 'a jolly good
workout,
great fun and not entirely serious'. 'Quite so' says Dave Walters,
member of
the steering commitee working to establish this emerging sport in
South
Africa, 'since a unicycle can't coast your legs are constantly engaged
in
propelling and balancing. The body's constant micro-adjustments for
balance
is also beneficial in the same posture-enhancing way as Pilates
training.
Doing all of this while concentrating on an unfolding game of hockey
forces
the riding to become almost automatic. Think about the skating in
ice-hockey
or, more pertinently, In-Line Hockey. '

More pertinently indeed as South Africa's Uni-Hockey found a new home at
Randburg Rangers In-Line Hockey Club opposite the Linden SAP. Richard
Cook of Rangers said they are only too happy to make their facilities
available to the Uni-Hockey players. "We know first hand how difficult
it can be to establish a sport and we're happy to help."

The first Uni-Hockey meeting at the Ranger's venue will take place on
Saturday the 3rd of July at 13h00. Dave invited everybody. 'If you've
always wanted to learn to ride a unicycle, you are more than welcome to
come around on Saturday. There will be more than anough unicycles to try
and more than enough people to help. Once you've learnt how to ride, I
can almost guarantee that you'll want to give Uni-Hockey a go. And if
you just want to come around to make sure that we're ACTUALY going to
play hockey on Unicycles, it'll be good to have you.'

'Remember' says Dave, 'it takes twice the athlete to ride half the
b*ke!.'

ps. i haven't sent this out at all so if there are any copyright issues
with the half-quote lifted from the Luni website (about uni-hockey being
not entire serious) or Harper's 'twice the athlete...'
speak now

Old July 1st 04, 11:07 AM
Jayne ZA

GILD wrote:
*ps. i haven't sent this out at all*

Might I suggest that you run it through a spell check before making it
"Official". I don't mean to be nit-picky (please note sarcasm) but I'm
not certain if "anough" is actually a measure of quantity.

See you later.

Jayne

--
Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

Old July 1st 04, 11:11 AM
nickjb

Jayne ZA wrote:
*

Might I suggest that you run it through a spell check before making it
"Official". I don't mean to be nit-picky (please note sarcasm) but
I'm not certain if "anough" is actually a measure of quantity.

See you later.

Jayne *

"descibed" & "commitee" could use a little tweaking, too

Content is good, though

nick

edit: don't forget to post a few pics after the event

--
nickjb - one wheel short
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

Old July 1st 04, 12:24 PM
GILD

Jayne ZA wrote:
*Might I suggest that you run it through a spell check before making
it "Official". *

hey! sarcasm-junkie...
i was planning on running it through the girlfriend
she can fix grammar as well
and boy do i need it

then again, if this thread continues the way it's going now, the
spelling will be perfect in no time
maybe i should start a new thread with that piece of text as the first
post and call the thread 'Most Re-Writes'
mmm...
(btw. i spend most of my time working on a PC that does not have any
word-processing software. that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.)

nickjb, jayne (and her recently aquired digi-cam) would be in charge of
taking photos at and of the event
so i'm hoping we'll be able to stick something up here on monday

Old July 1st 04, 01:33 PM
Jayne ZA

GILD wrote:
*nickjb, jayne (and her recently aquired digi-cam) would be in charge
of taking photos at and of the event
so i'm hoping we'll be able to stick something up here on monday *

As I am now official photographer, I'll try to have a gallery up by
Sunday. Maybe I'll even manage to squeeze in a video of Dave saying
"kewl" for all the interested parties.

Jayne

Old July 1st 04, 01:43 PM
JJuggle

Jayne ZA wrote:
*Maybe I'll even manage to squeeze in a video of Dave saying "kewl"
for all the interested parties. *

This I want in slow motion, please.

Good luck with all the Uni-Hockey endeavors.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Beware of the devil my child. Beware of his charming ways.
You'll fall under an evil spell just looking at his beautiful face.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old July 2nd 04, 01:22 PM
GILD

after all the talk of rough drafts (ahem...), official versions and
spell-checkers, 'check this out...' (http://tinyurl.com/2a7cg)
and bookmark the site
i have no idea if anything will come of it, but it sure can't hurt

Old July 2nd 04, 09:07 PM
unigeee

sorry to ask a completely different question, but do any of you know of
any trials and Muni riders in cape town?

john

--
unigeee - Hmmmmm!
unigeee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5397