opinions on alliance against 4x4s?

Old November 14th 04, 04:24 PM
congokid

Default opinions on alliance against 4x4s?

Anyone seen this? I found it on another UK group - apologies if it has
appeared here before.

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
Old November 14th 04, 04:44 PM
[Not Responding]

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:24:29 +0000, congokid
wrote:

Anyone seen this? I found it on another UK group - apologies if it has
appeared here before.

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/

Seen it but don't agree with it. I couldn't care less what *design* of
car people drive around in.

I object to
- **** poor driving standards,
- high CO2 etc emmissions,
- low pedestrian safety
- etc

4x4s may exhibit many of the features that I dislike but I would much
rather taxation was targetted at those specific characteristics;
emissions (it is), fuel consumption (it is) etc than at exterior
design.

People moan that 4x4s serve no other useful purpose in town than
making a social statement. The same can be said for an awful lot
equally polluting/dangerous high performance sports cars.
Old November 14th 04, 04:47 PM
Keith Willoughby

[Not Responding] wrote:

People moan that 4x4s serve no other useful purpose in town than
making a social statement. The same can be said for an awful lot
equally polluting/dangerous high performance sports cars.

At least I can see over the sports cars.

We have always been at war with Eastasia

Old November 14th 04, 05:17 PM
David WE Roberts

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:24:29 +0000, congokid wrote:

Anyone seen this? I found it on another UK group - apologies if it has
appeared here before.

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/

Far too specific - why target one type of vehicle?

All this serves to do is justify/legitimise all vehicles which are NOT
4*4s.

Far better to aim to reduce/remove urban motoring and replace it with
effective public transport.

I can't help feeling that a lot of the bad feeling about 4*4s is because
they are an example of conspicuous consumerism and it is this that people
are reacting to.

However, saying that someone else can't have one because you can't afford
one is not the way to win sympathy :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Old November 14th 04, 05:34 PM
Paul - xxx

congokid vaguely muttered something like ...
Anyone seen this? I found it on another UK group - apologies if it has
appeared here before.

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/

Ridiculous to target a specific type of vehicle. Admittedly I have a 4x4 so
might be biased, but I don't live in a Town, let alone a City, and it does
get dirty .. every day ..

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old November 14th 04, 08:01 PM
David Hansen

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:55:54 -0000 someone who may be Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote this:-

If I had to pick a cosmetic reason to ban a class of cars, the 4x4 (And
preferably their drivers too) would be first to go.

Perhaps their drivers could be put in trains and taken to camps in
the east.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Old November 14th 04, 08:03 PM
David Hansen

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:17:43 +0000 someone who may be David WE
Roberts wrote this:-

I can't help feeling that a lot of the bad feeling about 4*4s is because
they are an example of conspicuous consumerism and it is this that people
are reacting to.

I think there is something in that argument.

However, saying that someone else can't have one because you can't afford
one is not the way to win sympathy :-)

This sounds like the assumption that people ride bikes because they
are poor.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Old November 14th 04, 09:19 PM
MartinM

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:55:54 -0000 someone who may be Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote this:-

If I had to pick a cosmetic reason to ban a class of cars, the 4x4 (And
preferably their drivers too) would be first to go.

Perhaps their drivers could be put in trains and taken to camps in
the east.

Clacton?

Opinions on wireless computers? Preston Crawford General 25 September 9th 04 05:04 PM
Prime Alliance Team clothing CHEAP!!! Jonathan Page Marketplace 2 June 28th 04 05:15 PM
sixsixone 4x4's gpickett00 Unicycling 3 March 13th 04 08:09 PM
Which type of bike? Your opinions please. Chris Hansen General 3 January 16th 04 12:10 PM