Why you aren't a pro

Old August 21st 05, 04:11 AM

Default Why you aren't a pro

not enough oxygen:
http://www.sportsoxyshot.com/

the link to this ad was second to top on cyclingnews.com,
it's the ultimate in snake oil, and I used to work at
at a vitamin store, we carried something called Liquid O (yes the O was
for Oxygen) and it was the only thing I would refuse
to sell, if someone grabbed it and bought it - fine, but
if they asked me about it, I'd steer them to some
Cytomax or something that at least gave you some sugar for your
money...eventually it got pulled off the market by the FDA after an
expose in the NYTimes. Before throwing it all away, I drank a whole
bottle, it was salt water. Man some people are smart/crooked, selling
salt water for $60 a bottle.
Some other favorites
- Vitamin B-15, we sold it, it's not really a vitamin - it's nothing
really, but I noticed that african and euro runners LOVED this stuff
and swore by it, I learned later that it was because when they got
injections as youngsters, and they would ask the coach or doctor "what
is this?" and they would be told it was vitamin B-15, a special vitamin
from Russia that made you twice as fast.
funny stuff.
- Liguid or sublingual ATP - not much to say here.
- Weight Gainer - I had a roommate who was a cyclist, and we were real
real poor, so we got a whole case of weight gainer that was dented up,
so I brought it home for him, and he would make shakes out this stuff,
and he got all fat - so this was something I really could say works
like it says it does, high liquid calories on top of your everyday food
will make you gain weight! no way.
some stuff did help a little, and I took it all, literally.
but I can honestly say that some high quality vitamins/minerals and
maybe protein recovery shakes after rides is all you need.
Cyclingnews should take that stuff down, keep their readers buying $150
styrofoam helmets and carbon everything parts and zero gravity brakes -
not snake oil.

Old August 21st 05, 05:24 AM
Jet

On 20 Aug 2005 20:11:54 -0700, wrote:

[...]

http://www.althealth.co.uk/services/...amin_b15_1.php

Strange stuff.

See Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw, and Fred Hatfield and even Joel Friel for
additional 'ergogenic' aids.

If you experiment around, some of this stuff actually seems to work, while
other 'vitamins' and supplements are either not in sufficient quantity, or
when assayed, are not the advertized quantity.

Eopinions.com has a section on health food stuff. I have some more links if
anyone is interested.

http://www.epinions.com/well-Nutriti...l_~1/Grp_~5471

jj

Old August 22nd 05, 02:40 AM

we sold DMG and B-15, we also sold lithium, but we kept that "mineral"
in the back,
there are many little companies in the USA making all kinds of strange
stuff
not legal by FDA.
Our most lucrative business - Detoxify Ready Clean - cleans liver
metabolites before
drug tests, it works, many many happy repeat customers, so when you ask
how a
top athlete passes drug test after drug test - this stuff cost $20 a
bottle and worked
for just about everything, imagine what you can buy for more?
I had a cool relationship with the Polish national marathon champ, i'd
give
him %40 off everything, he'd buy about 1k worth of stuff, then he'd go
home to Poland and bring me cystal vases, euro leather shoes, watches,
all kinds of polish gear, he didn't speak much english and I'd have no
idea what
he was going to bring me back, but I guess the whole barter thing is
big in
Poland.
Also sold these huge canisters of Inositol powder to drug dealers for
$150 a bottle,
they would cut cocaine with it, my boss told me these were the "good
drug
dealers" because inositol was harmless, and actually good for
cokeheads,
while no-doz, backing soda, ether, and all the other nasty stuff used
cut coke could kill you. They would pull the $150 out these gigantic
rolls of money.
drug dealers and addicts pretty much kept the vitamin store in
business,
kinda ironic really.

Old August 22nd 05, 03:20 PM
Tom Kunich

You guys ought to be VERY careful of what you're taking. Right now I'm
recovering from some really funny stuff caused in some manner but the
"vitamins" I was taking. All of the stuff was over the counter from
GNC. I started having what can only be turned as some sort of
hallucinations while riding on the bike. At first I thought it was from
getting too little sleep. Then it started happening whenever I didn't
have my mind focused on something. Pretty scarey stuff. It would only
last a second to two, and I could remember afterwards what exactly it
was, but it was like having the hell scared out of you somehow - I'd be
shaking and scared it was going to happen again.

I cut off all of the vatamins and other crap I was taking and after two
days I can tell things are straightening out.

Watch this stuff, it might kill you. I had one of these siezures while
riding next to heavy traffic and luckily managed to maintain enough
control not to swerve into traffic.

Old August 22nd 05, 04:24 PM
Jet

On 22 Aug 2005 07:20:20 -0700, "Tom Kunich" wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear it. Care to list what you were taking? One good vit book
cautions either ramping up or suddenly cutting off vitamins all at once,
though I've done it.

I was planning on adding siberian ginseng and medium-chain trigl. after
some more research...

Glad you got thru it ok then and now improving...

jj

Old August 22nd 05, 06:20 PM
D. Ferguson

wrote:

[...]

I knew there was something going on.

;-)

But don't accidentally kill yourself.
Old August 22nd 05, 06:36 PM
Diablo Scott

D. Ferguson wrote (about Kunich):

But don't accidentally kill yourself.

smooth one

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
Old August 22nd 05, 06:51 PM
D. Ferguson

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:36:15 -0700, Diablo Scott
wrote:

D. Ferguson wrote (about Kunich):

But don't accidentally kill yourself.

smooth one

the one time I wasn't really trying to be funny...
Old August 22nd 05, 11:03 PM
RonSonic

wrote:

D. Ferguson wrote (about Kunich):

But don't accidentally kill yourself.

smooth one

the one time I wasn't really trying to be funny...

Good advice nonetheless.

Ron
Old August 22nd 05, 11:09 PM
D. Ferguson

wrote:

D. Ferguson wrote (about Kunich):

But don't accidentally kill yourself.

smooth one

the one time I wasn't really trying to be funny...

Good advice nonetheless.

Ron

I'm not for the FDA having it's hand in the supplement industry but
the complete lack of regulation is a problem. And not only is the fact
that you don't know how each person is going to react to each
substance, you don't know how those things are going to mix. Throw in
the intensity of exercise........ That's how Kunich got so ****ed up.
I think.