Trek 4 the Troops

Old October 25th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Trek 4 the Troops

In December, 2006 I'm embarking on a cross country ride to raise
awareness and nonpartisan support for our troops involved in the war in
Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm calling the ride Trek 4 the Troops, and I
welcome you to read more about it www.trek4thetroops.com.

What makes this ride different from other cross-continental
awareness/fund raising rides?

The ride will be done solo, without a support vehicle, on a fixed-gear.
That's right, FIXED GEAR! To the best of my knowledge only a
select few have ever traversed the continent on a fixed-gear, and some
might say that the attempt is crazy.

I'll be following a fairly southerly route from San Diego to
Savannah, and I welcome anyone/everyone to ride along should I pass
through your area. Fixed gear bikes not required! I'll be updating
the ride website every day, and who knows, maybe your picture will show
up there.

In the meantime, please visit www.americasupportsyou.mil and see how
you can help in the effort to support our service men and women serving
our country in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm not soliciting funds or donations directly. I have no way (or
desire) to handle donations of cash. I'm asking that folks select
one of the many fine organizations that are doing a wonderful job
supporting the troops, so please help however you can.

thanks!

Scott Hendricks

p.s. for the usenet nazis on rec.bicycles.racing who think this
doesn't have anything to do with bicycle racing, you're right. If
it'll make you feel better, think of it as my winter fixed gear base
mile riding in preparation for next season!

Old October 25th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
B. Lafferty

Sure, I'll make donations to the American Friends Service Committee and Move
On in your name. The best was to support the troops is to bring them home
NOW and vote Democrat in November.

ups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

B. Lafferty wrote:
Sure, I'll make donations to the American Friends Service Committee and Move
On in your name. The best was to support the troops is to bring them home
NOW and vote Democrat in November.

The word "nonpartisan", in the first sentence of his post, seems to
have no meaning to you.

As a combat vet I have my own opinions of the Iraq war. But I'll keep
them out of this thread. This man is doing a good thing.

Go somewhere else and troll.

Old October 25th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
wrote:
B. Lafferty wrote:
Sure, I'll make donations to the American Friends Service Committee and Move
On in your name. The best was to support the troops is to bring them home
NOW and vote Democrat in November.

The word "nonpartisan", in the first sentence of his post, seems to
have no meaning to you.

As a combat vet I have my own opinions of the Iraq war. But I'll keep
them out of this thread. This man is doing a good thing.

I agree the mention of Move On and the vote Democret part are
inappropriate here, but who can argue against the idea that "the best
way to support the troops is to bring them home'?

In the short term, that's not viable. Since we can't (or won't) bring
'em home before Christmas, please help however you can in supporting
them in ways that are viable. Send an email to a soldier, donate to
the USO, buy a teddy bear and give to the child of serviceman or woman
serving overseas, whatever.

Unlike Tom, I'm not a combat veteran, but I AM an old soldier. I'm
sure you've heard the saying, and trust me it's true, that NOBODY wants
war less than a soldier.

So, I'd like to ask everyone to NOT hijack the thread, turning it into
a political debate. That's been done to death in previous threads and
isn't appropriate here.

Old October 25th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
B. Lafferty

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
wrote:
B. Lafferty wrote:
[...]

Tell that to the 2,600+ young soldiers who have come home dead, several of
whom I knew very well, and those without faces and/or limbs. There's no
such thing as non-partisan when people die because of orders coming down the
chain of command from Bush. They are in harm's way due to the stupidity of
ideologues in this Administration who didn't have any idea what the Middle
East is. Support our troops! Bring them home NOW!

Old October 25th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:07:26 GMT, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
wrote:
B. Lafferty wrote:
[...]

I'm with B. I support our troops, but that tends to get thrown in with
supporting Bush. Our troops are dying for corporate profits and that
is the bottom line. Good luck on your ride. It's too bad that our
government doesn't give them sufficient support.
Old October 25th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Sure, I'll make donations to the American Friends Service Committee and
Move On in your name. The best was to support the troops is to bring them
home NOW and vote Democrat in November.

Brian: While I agree with your sentiments, it's wrong to assume a reasonable
person couldn't make a reasonable case for the other side (keeping troops
there, or putting them there in the first place). And as for the Democratic
party, sorry, I can't help but think that Bill Clinton passed up
opportunities to deal with this before things got totally out of hand. When
the inspectors weren't allowed to inspect, he could have ordered immediate
reprisals each and every time. Eventually the message gets home. You let the
inspectors do their job, or something gets bombed. A direct linkage. But we
seem to have problems with that sort of thing; in our military handbooks,
apparently it's a requirement that all such things lead to escalation and
ever-greater involvement.

I can't believe I'm replying in this thread.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
link.net...
Sure, I'll make donations to the American Friends Service Committee and
Move On in your name. The best was to support the troops is to bring them
home NOW and vote Democrat in November.

ups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Anybody that puts p.s. in an electronic message is a
moron, since a postscript goes after the signature, and
only ever had utility in handwritten communications
when a further item occurred to the writer after
composing and writing the missive. Electronic articles
are easily edited anytime up to the time they are
transmitted.

Maybe in your world. A great many times people use a "PS:" deliberately, in
a pre-meditated action (meaning they planned to do so while writing the
letter or whatever), in order to give additional emphasis to an idea. It
often has nothing to do with editing.

Emails have not changed that. They might make such intentions appear more
obvious, but they don't automatically negate the reasons people have
historically used a "PS" (postcript) in a correspondence.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article
. com,
wrote:

p.s. for the usenet nazis on rec.bicycles.racing who think this
doesn't have anything to do with bicycle racing, you're right. If
it'll make you feel better, think of it as my winter fixed gear base
mile riding in preparation for next season!

I challenge you to find one usenet nazi posting to rbr
from rbr.

--
Michael Press