Highest paved roads

Old August 8th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Default Highest paved roads

wrote

I've ridden some of the highest paved roads in La.

Sounds like the start of a new website for the highest road in each state of
the US. I once met somebody who had a long-time project of hiking to the top
of the highest elevation (generally not on a road) in each of the 50 states.

Need a new discussion group to argue about which is highest for some states.

Like debating that Euro website's choice of Umbrail for Switzerland . . .
the high point is only barely inside the national boundary, and the only
continuously paved road to it is from Italy. (though in dry weather it
should be ridable on a road bike from Switzerland). Seems like it would be
appropriate in such cases to list the second highest which is obviously
fully paved and substantially inside the country.

Anyway there's other websites with much more detailed and helpful info about
Euro climbs than that one.

Ken

Old August 9th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

bob sullivan wrote:
wrote:
bob sullivan wrote:
Hi, everybody,

Came across this site this afternoon, and I thought it looked
interesting enough to post about:

http://www.torelli.com/kom/default.htm

If you click on the 'Climbs/Races' button, there are links
to paved road climbs in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Canada,
Europe, Latin America/Caribbean, and the United States.
Some neat information, like the fact that at 14,130 feet,
Mt. Evans, Colorado is the highest paved road climb in North
America.

Happy climbing!

~bob

I've ridden some of the highest paved roads in La.

What's the highest in LA? I notice it's not listed on the Torelli
KOM site.

~bob

Dear Bob,

Arguably somewhere near towering Driskill Mountain (535 feet):

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima... cadia%7cla%7c

Bonnie and Clyde topped out nearby and a bit lower.

" . . . the country's third lowest state high point (only Florida and
Delaware are lower) . . ."

"We walked down the red clay road, past a radio antenna into the woods,
bearing left. If you proceed straight you go up the "false summit."
Many accounts on the summit log report of people getting lost. The
trick is to bear left and go downhill at a gate which forks the road.
A short distance later a sign points the way to Driskill Mountain."

[Horrors! Lost summiteers wandering in circles in search of Louisiana's
highest natural point! More fun text and some nice pictures at the link
below.]

http://www.americasroof.com/la.shtml

Of course, One Shell Square, New Orleans, is 697 feet tall:

http://www.lagumbo.com/

You could probably get a bicycle within 161 feet of the top of the
building if you claimed to be a messenger.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old August 10th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Kruger

wrote in message

" . . . the country's third lowest state high point . . ."

Searching hard to find a distinction, aren't they?

Old August 11th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bob sullivan

David Kerber wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote
I've ridden some of the highest paved roads in La.

For the last 3 years, I've organized a ride in RI to go from the lowest
point (sea level) to the highest point (812 ft) around the 4th of July.
It's a nice 70-mile ride with about 3800 ft of total climbing. Nice
ride if the weather's nice, but can get challenging in hot, humid
weather.

Sounds like the start of a new website for the highest road in each state of
the US. I once met somebody who had a long-time project of hiking to the top
of the highest elevation (generally not on a road) in each of the 50 states.

Need a new discussion group to argue about which is highest for some states.

Already been done:
www.highpointers.org

Seems like a lot of good information for those who want to hike
high points, but not so much for those of us who want to ride
roads up them.

I've been trying to figure out what the highest road climb in Maryland
is, but with little success, until this evening. Backbone Mountain
(no, not Brokeback Mountain) is the highest point in the state, at
3360 feet, but nobody's bothered to build a road up it. Using the
DeLorme atlas and Google Earth, I think I have the highest road pinned
down to Route 50 in Garrett County, as it passes over Conneway Hill.
Google Earth is telling me the altitude there is 3087 feet.

Any of you live out in Garrett County and can confirm or deny?

Thanks!
~bob

specifically roads only big wheel? abbabibble Unicycling 25 December 6th 05 12:56 AM
Ride Pictures: Johansen and Gazos Creek Roads, November 2005 Bill Bushnell Rides 1 November 26th 05 07:20 PM
Ride Pictures: Old Haul and Gazos Creek Roads, November 2005 Bill Bushnell Rides 2 November 22nd 05 06:25 PM
dangers of rural roads wafflycat UK 48 May 18th 05 10:25 AM
Am I ready to start bicycling on the roads [email protected] General 14 February 22nd 04 03:12 AM