Please Tell Me Why They Don't Make THIS!

Old July 18th 05, 06:16 AM
Donn Cave

Quoth "NYC XYZ" :
| Donn Cave wrote:
| ... "Recumenbent" does mean "laying
| down", though.
|
| Which should suggest comfort...that's the main point of these bikes,
| after all...why don't everyone sell a headrest option I don't know....

You can try it. In general you don't see headrests for sale because
there's no one to buy them.

| hm ... Reynolds has made a LWB model, the "Nomad", but I don't think
| there are many of them and very unlikely to have been that 20"/700C bike.
| (He also makes a front wheel drive bike that sounds like a killer, but
| also extremely rare so far, unfortunately.) The more popular Wishbones
| and T-bones are SWB.
|
| The T-Bone's SWB?? Couldn't tell from the pics! On bicycleman.com,
| anyway...where's the T-Bone on the website?

I don't know about bicycleman.com, but the link in your preceding
post was to Reynolds' site, which has dozens of pictures of T-bones
and Wishbones. http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/ , you've seen it.
SWB means the front axle is behind the crank.

| That new Z-Bone, though...looks interesting! What's the point to
| front-wheel drive? The site says it's an improvement somehow.

The drive wheel is closer to the cranks, both in distance and topology.
That means less chain, no corners in the chain path, no need to design
around a chain path that runs the length of the bike, and a simpler,
stronger frame holding the cranks and wheel apart (so it's bound to be
more rigid.) Lots of bikes have a rear shock, but it seems to me that
would be easier to design when you don't need a rigid frame from one end
to the other. He could be on to something. Definitely a "try before
you buy", but could be a significant step forward for recumbents.

You probably should aim a little lower though. Something like a Haluzak
Horizon, for example, that will give you a feel for the ride without
committing quite so much money on the basis of theoretical evaluation.

Donn
Old July 18th 05, 06:17 AM
Donn Cave

Quoth "NYC XYZ" :

Old July 18th 05, 08:15 AM
Buck

On 07/18/2005 04:44:49 "NYC XYZ" wrote:

Buck wrote:

The weight is on the price list, 27lbs with fairly unexotic components.

Could get the weight down more I expect.

They distinguish between what appears to be a "no-frills" "sports weight"
and a more likely quotidian "average weight" of 27 and 34 pounds,
respectively.

What's the point of all that aluminum if it weighs like some chromoly
'bent??

And why does the "SL" version have a disc brake for the front only???

The main frame tube is a large section and weighs a bit, typical
weight will include lights and fenders. A chro-mo would weigh a lot
more with all in.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old July 18th 05, 05:57 PM
What Me Worry?

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

How much did you say you wanted to spend, again?

Well, as less as possible. But I'm just curious if there's any such
creature out there. Surely there must be a HUGE ('bent) market for all
those features in one bike!

Actually, no. Features always cost more, and recumbents don't have anywhere
near the kind of sales volume that produces economies of scale.
ActionBents, for instance, are quite affordable; but still in the $650-$850
range, even though they are direct-marketed in the US from an exclusive
west-coast distributor (ie: No expensive distribution and dealership network
to maintain.)

Because it would be neither particularly fast nor particularly light, the
bike you are asking for would retail for $5,000+, and would sell a handful
of units annually. Suspension bikes are always heavier and slower than
unsuspended models. Since recumbents aren't really offroad-friendly,
there's not much point in a suspension. Just use thicker seat padding, or
slightly fatter tires. Front shocks have received accolades from a select
few; but are not commonly found on production bikes.

Some 'bent builders would have no problem filling this order (with the
possible exception of the weight), but since 'bents aren't a major
component of the off-the-shelf offerings at most bike shops, I can see
why you'd have trouble finding one ready-made.

Yep.

That's just the thing, though...I'm assuming that a lighter bike is an
inherently good thing, and alum/ti/carb-fi is strong...the USS is a
more "natural" position and seems to accord well with the physics of a
'bent (center of gravity issues and all that)...an adjustable seat with
good lumbar support is also a no-brainer, as well as making that seat
"double" with a built-in bag or pack behind it...disc brakes, for
power...26" wheels for speed and height/vantage-point...SWB for
manuverability...what's to argue with any of these criterion?

You have a great concept here. I agree with your basic design philosophies
as they relate to recumbents. You are right on the mark. I have wondered
for years why carbon fiber is so scarce in the recumbent market. I think it
has to do with profit margins: Recumbents are labor-intensive and built in
small batches. There's not much profit in them. Your design concept would
be a great product; but the materials would eat up profit margins. Shocks,
carbon fiber, titanium are all far costlier than straight-gauge 7005
aluminum tubing, which may explain why oversized 7005 alloy boom tubes are
fast becoming the standard on recumbents. Also note that recumbent
manufacturers have switched to an "ergo" seat design in recent years (those
who didn't already offer a lumbar support).

USS vs OSS: In my opinion, USS is vastly superior; but it's more expensive
to build and less "natural" for first-time 'bent riders - the majority of
the market. ie: It doesn't sell as well.

SWB vs all others: SWB can be very, um, "exciting" at high speeds. Some
like that edgy feeling; but many do not. It doesn't surprise me that LWB
and CLWB designs are popular. There is also that "chopper look," which
suits more traditional riders who feel strange riding with the cranks
sticking out into the air ahead of the front wheel.

My suggestion: Draw up a prototype design, and shop it around to various
manufacturers. Maybe one of them will see things your way.

Old July 29th 05, 10:56 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 17 Jul 2005 06:58:52 -0700, "NYC XYZ" wrote:
db. wrote:

I have a similar interest in what you're looking for and I"m leaning
towards the Nazca Pioneer

Looks good, but "door problemen met de server is onze website momenteel
helaas niet te bereiken."

It has rear suspension and suppose you could
shock fork the front..for seat adjustment like what you are looking for
there's the AZUB Extreme.

Yeah, unfortunately that thing's like, what, around 40 lbs.????

Besides, not sure how to order one in the US...seems all their dealers
are non-English-speaking.

If their servers speak Dutch, it's a good bet 90%+ of their dealers are
bilingual in Dutch and English.

Jasper