Cyclist kills pedestrian

Old October 9th 07, 01:41 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Lord Turkey Cough[_2_]

Default Cyclist kills pedestrian

"The Todal" wrote in message
So evidently it can happen. This was a rather extreme example of bad
cycling but in town I regularly see cyclists riding at top speed through
red traffic lights and through pedestrian crossings when the pedestrians
have a green signal to cross. I think the Community Support officers
should give this a priority. And let it not be forgotten that cyclists
aren't required to carry insurance. Maybe that ought to be changed.

It some mindless moron crossed the road without looking to
see if it safe to do so, or if he may cause a cyclist to break then
he gets all he deserves in my opinion if he gets clobbered by a cyclist, or
hopefully an articulated lorry.
Why community support officers shoud waste their time bowing to the whims
of crackpot predestrians with no road sense is beyond me.
Futhermore why would a pedrestrian crossing turn red is a cyclist was
approaching?
Is it faulty? If that's the case it should be removed untill it is fixed.
Maybe
training for people unable to cross the road unaided should be arranged,
although
I managed to master this 'skill' when I was about 2 years old.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...185062,00.html

A cyclist who caused the death of a man he crashed into while riding on
the pavement at 25mph was facing jail yesterday after admitting "wanton or
furious" cycling.

Messen mounted the kerb as he came down the hill on his Apollo mountain
bike just as Mr Green, 41, who lived with his partner and her four
children, walked across the pavement to fetch his glasses from his house.
He was knocked to the ground unconscious and died four days later in the
Royal Cornwall hospital from head injuries including multiple skull
fractures.
Appearing at Truro crown court yesterday, Messen, of Swindon, Wiltshire,
pleaded guilty to causing bodily harm by wanton or furious cycling. The
crime, brought under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861, carries a
maximum sentence of two years in jail.

What a shocking case, fancy jailing a cyclist for a councils failure to
provide
adaquate cycle paths. It's the law gone mad.
No wonder the country is in a shocking state with idots like this in charge.
It's about time people in authority had to pass some sort of intelligence
test.
Especially if they are, for example, moderating a newsgroup.

Old October 9th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
David[_3_]

It some mindless moron crossed the road without looking to
see if it safe to do so, or if he may cause a cyclist to break then
he gets all he deserves in my opinion if he gets clobbered by a cyclist,
or
hopefully an articulated lorry.
Why community support officers shoud waste their time bowing to the whims
of crackpot predestrians with no road sense is beyond me.
Futhermore why would a pedrestrian crossing turn red is a cyclist was
approaching?
Is it faulty? If that's the case it should be removed untill it is fixed.
Maybe
training for people unable to cross the road unaided should be arranged,
although
I managed to master this 'skill' when I was about 2 years old.

He was riding on the PATH - oh dear, some mothers do 'av em. You should have
learned to read a few years after you learned to cross the road!!

Old October 9th 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Colonel Colt

"Lord Turkey Cough" wrote in message

It some mindless moron crossed the road

He wasn't crossing the road. He was crossing the pavement, on which the
cyclist had no business to be.

Old October 9th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Lord Turkey Cough[_2_]

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Yes because there was no adaquate cycle path to protect him from dangerous
traffic. What do you expec him to do? Get crushed by an artic?

Old October 9th 07, 10:01 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Colonel Colt

"David" wrote in message

[...]

If he can't use it lawfully, not use his cycle.

Get crushed by an artic?

We can but hope.

Old October 9th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Periander

"Lord Turkey Cough" wrote in
:

He was riding on the PATH - oh dear, some mothers do 'av em. You
should have learned to read a few years after you learned to cross
the road!!

Yes because there was no adaquate cycle path to protect him from
dangerous traffic. What do you expec him to do? Get crushed by an
artic?

Get off his bike and push it along the path, buy a car, stay at home or
even use the bloody road like he should have been doing.

--
Regards or otherwise,

Periander
Old October 10th 07, 12:38 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Lord Turkey Cough[_2_]

"Periander" wrote in message
"Lord Turkey Cough" wrote in
:

He was riding on the PATH - oh dear, some mothers do 'av em. You
should have learned to read a few years after you learned to cross
the road!!

Yes because there was no adaquate cycle path to protect him from
dangerous traffic. What do you expec him to do? Get crushed by an
artic?

Get off his bike and push it along the path, buy a car, stay at home or
even use the bloody road like he should have been doing.

Oh yes just like you get out of your car and push it past a childrens
school.
Do you fook. Can't you see what an effing hypocrite you are?
"Oh no I will slow down to 20 mph, because guess what - some kids can
actually survive being hit by a car at 20 mph so I am being a really
considerate guy" -not.

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amazes me.

Some people stupidity and inconsideration seems so deeply ingrained I
actually wonder if
it is an undiognosed nmental illness.

--
Regards or otherwise,

Periander

Old October 10th 07, 10:52 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_2_]

Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

"Periander" wrote:
"Lord Turkey Cough" wrote:

He was riding on the PATH - oh dear, some mothers do 'av em...

Yes because there was no adaquate cycle path to protect him from
dangerous traffic. What do you expec him to do? Get crushed by an
artic?

Get off his bike and push it along the path, buy a car, stay at home or
even use the bloody road like he should have been doing.

Oh yes just like you get out of your car and push it past a childrens
school.
Do you fook. Can't you see what an effing hypocrite you are?

AIUI, the PP was suggesting doing something legal as opposed to
something illegal.

What was wrong with that?

"Oh no I will slow down to 20 mph, because guess what - some kids can
actually survive being hit by a car at 20 mph so I am being a really
considerate guy" -not.

Is driving at 20mph past a school illegal? No.

Is cycling on the footway illegal? Yes.

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amazes me.

It amazes us all at times. Would you believe that there are some
people so stupid that they can't tell the difference between a legal
and an illegal act? But it appears that there such people. Either
that, or they are prepared to entirely overlook the illegality of an
action (let alone the danger it causes to other, more vulnerable,
people) if it makes them feel safer whilst committing it.

Some people stupidity and inconsideration seems so deeply ingrained I
actually wonder if it is an undiognosed nmental illness.

You took the words right out...
Old October 10th 07, 01:19 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling

On Oct 10, 10:52 am, JNugent
wrote:
Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
"Periander" wrote:
"Lord Turkey Cough" wrote:
[...]

Can even 20mph be excessive speed near a school? Yes.

Are there a lot of drivers who habitually ignoer speed limits? Yes.

Old October 10th 07, 01:36 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_2_]

wrote:
On Oct 10, 10:52 am, JNugent
wrote:

Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

"Periander" wrote:

"Lord Turkey Cough" wrote:

[...]

It certainly can be (as it can be anywhere, even -given bad enough
conditions - on a motorway).

But is it automatically excessive (or illegal)? No.

Is riding on the footway automatically illegal? Yes (and no
qualification needed).

Are there a lot of drivers who habitually ignoer speed limits? Yes.

What's that got to do with anything?

Does it justify riding on the footway?

pedestrian hit by cyclist Ian Smith UK 6 April 18th 05 03:06 PM
Motorist kills pedestrian - court case David Hansen UK 21 March 1st 05 10:18 AM
Motorist kills pedestrian David Hansen UK 32 November 14th 04 09:22 PM
Cyclist & Pedestrian Tony Raven UK 22 July 24th 04 08:38 PM
former Miss America kills pedestrian Cold Coffee General 1 October 14th 03 04:54 PM