Removing Frozen Campy Record Bottom Bracket Cup (Right)

Old May 24th 04, 01:46 AM
Kendall

Default Removing Frozen Campy Record Bottom Bracket Cup (Right)

I have removed the left cup of my Campy record bottom bracket and have
removed the bottom bracket assembly from the left side no problem. But the
right bottom bracket cup is frozen and the notches or splines for the Campy
tool are now stripped. The assembler must've used to much torque or didn't
prepare properly. Any other ideas on how to get this sucker out without
messing up the bottom bracket shell. The frame is a Pegoretti steel and the
BB has been in there for about 5 years. The shell doesn't seem rusty or
corroded inside at all. Just grease.

Thanks,

Ken

Old May 24th 04, 01:57 AM
Peter

Kenny Lee wrote:

Kendall wrote:

I have removed the left cup of my Campy record bottom bracket and have
removed the bottom bracket assembly from the left side no problem. But
the
right bottom bracket cup is frozen and the notches or splines for the
Campy
tool are now stripped. The assembler must've used to much torque or
didn't
prepare properly. Any other ideas on how to get this sucker out without
messing up the bottom bracket shell. The frame is a Pegoretti steel
and the
BB has been in there for about 5 years. The shell doesn't seem rusty or
corroded inside at all. Just grease.

Thanks,

Ken

Had the exact same problem once. My solution was to take it to the LBS.
He'll use a tool that I think looks like a headset press. The right cup
came out in about 2 minutes using this tool.

Also check that they know whether it's right-hand or left-hand threaded.
Once had the LBS clamp that tool in a vice so they could get two guys to
use the whole length of our tandem frame as a lever. I suggested that
before applying that much force they check to see if the threading might
be the opposite way and the cup came right out.

Old May 24th 04, 01:58 AM
Kenny Lee

Kendall wrote:
I have removed the left cup of my Campy record bottom bracket and have
removed the bottom bracket assembly from the left side no problem. But the
right bottom bracket cup is frozen and the notches or splines for the Campy
tool are now stripped. The assembler must've used to much torque or didn't
prepare properly. Any other ideas on how to get this sucker out without
messing up the bottom bracket shell. The frame is a Pegoretti steel and the
BB has been in there for about 5 years. The shell doesn't seem rusty or
corroded inside at all. Just grease.

Thanks,

Ken

Had the exact same problem once. My solution was to take it to the LBS.
He'll use a tool that I think looks like a headset press. The right cup
came out in about 2 minutes using this tool.

Hope this helped.

Kenny Lee

Old May 25th 04, 02:29 AM
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:46:17 -0400, "Kendall"
wrote:
right bottom bracket cup is frozen and the notches or splines for the Campy

I imagine that Sheldon Brown's improvised nut-and-bolt BB cup tool
will work. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html .
--
Rick Onanian

Old May 25th 04, 03:53 AM
Sheldon Brown

Rick Onanian wrote:

I imagine that Sheldon Brown's improvised nut-and-bolt BB cup tool
will work. See http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html .

Yep, but I can't take credit. Although I wrote it up, I didn't invent
it, and I'd imagine that trick is older than even I am!

Sheldon "Bolt" Brown
| The cure for boredom is curiosity. |
| There is no cure for curiosity. |
| -- Ellen Parr |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old May 28th 04, 04:44 PM
Ningi

Kenny Lee wrote:
Kendall wrote:

[...]

Anybody happen to know what this tool is called, and who makes them? I
have the same problem, and my LBS can't look at the bike for 3 weeks.

Cheers

Pete

Hope this helped.

Kenny Lee

Old May 29th 04, 01:42 PM
richard

I don't happen to know what the tool is called either, but you might
look for "Loose Screws" in Google. It won't be cheap...

Peter C told me to get a Dremel tool and a bunch of emory cutting
wheels. Start cutting wedges out of the cup, and you can eventually get
it out. Be careful when you're cutting near the threads. You will want
to get your threads chased once you're finished. (If you absolutely
can't wait for the LBS to use chasing tools on it, find an old steel cup
and CAREFULLY see how it threads. Mess up here -ie, cross thread it-
and you really have problems!)

Whatever, I rescued my '71 Raleigh Pro frame this way.