I miss Jobst

Old April 10th 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default I miss Jobst

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Hoping to make a point about
the cost benefits of factory automation, I asked "If you could buy two
cell phones that were exactly identical but one was less expensive,
you'd buy that one, right?"

One girl adamantly said "No, I'd buy the more expensive one. *It would
be better."

I said "No, I'm talking about identical phones. *The only difference
would be the price."

"I'd buy the more expensive one. *More expensive things are always
better."

She's probably still a marketer's dream. *(I wonder if she rides a
bike?)

If so, I hope she believes a better-paying job always results in a
better life. She'll need that belief to carry her through.

My wife grew up the daughter of a physician, and still recounts
another doc's daughter and her mother who believed is was beneath them
to buy anything that was marked down from its original price. They
just wouldn't buy things on sale, no matter the specifics.

I believe paying unnecessarily high prices for anything is antisocial,
because it directly supports exploitative businesses that are harmful
to society, and gives them an advantage over more ethical
businesses.

Chalo
Old April 11th 11, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Chalo wrote:
James wrote:
Personally, I've been quite happy with Open Pros, the only improvement
being the ceramic brake surface treatment. They never wear. My front
has done about 100,000km so far (about 10 years).

I understand they work well for lithe young girls and Sunday tweed
rides.

But not real men like you, eh, Chalo?

I can buy four rims that will survive a beating for the same price as
one of those, though.

So what?

Still waiting for the yet more expensive "Mavic Open Masters 50 And
Over".

Nah, most of them ride carbon, like Zipp 303 or 404. Mavic Open Pro's
for them are just cheap training wheels. But hang on, that implies they
are all lithe young girls or wear plenty of Sundy tweed, doesn't it?

JS.
Old April 11th 11, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 4/10/2011 12:28 AM, James wrote:

Jeez, don't let it out that you ride over priced European enriched
with voodoo rims. Some here don't think they're worth it.[...]

Just how much is European Heritage & Mystique™ worth to you?

Nothing. I just like 'em because they've worked well for me.

JS.
Old April 11th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

The quarter miler from Philly appeared through the grey then white
billowing cloud holding out a book streams of sulfurous yellow wisps
flowing off its cover.

“AHA” thought JB, a bible. I’m IN.”

The Philly lawyer, smelling of sulfur, said “ Hi JB! here’s a mint
unread copy of Frank Berto’s “Complete Guide to Upgrading Your Bike”
Old April 11th 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Apr 10, 6:08*am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 4/10/2011 12:28 AM, James wrote:

Jeez, don't let it out that you ride over priced European enriched
with voodoo rims. *Some here don't think they're worth it.[...]

Just how much is European Heritage & Mystique worth to you?

I'm still hoping someone develops spray-on Heritage & Mystique,
perhaps with a dash of Cachet.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 11th 11, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/10/2011 6:27 PM, James Steward wrote:
Chalo wrote:
James wrote:
Personally, I've been quite happy with Open Pros, the only improvement
being the ceramic brake surface treatment. They never wear. My front
has done about 100,000km so far (about 10 years).

I understand they work well for lithe young girls and Sunday tweed
rides.

But not real men like you, eh, Chalo?

Or at least not Real Menâ„¢ with a mass of 155 kg (~340 pounds).

I can buy four rims that will survive a beating for the same price as
one of those, though.

So what?

Still waiting for the yet more expensive "Mavic Open Masters 50 And
Over".

Nah, most of them ride carbon, like Zipp 303 or 404. Mavic Open Pro's
for them are just cheap training wheels. But hang on, that implies they
are all lithe young girls or wear plenty of Sundy tweed, doesn't it?

I thought it was a golf joke?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old April 11th 11, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Chalo wrote:
James wrote:
Personally, I've been quite happy with Open Pros, the only improvement
being the ceramic brake surface treatment. They never wear. My front
has done about 100,000km so far (about 10 years).

I understand they work well for lithe young girls and Sunday tweed
rides.

But not real men like you, eh, Chalo?

Or at least not Real Menâ„¢ with a mass of 155 kg (~340 pounds).

Real or imaginary ( x sqrt(-1)) men (or women, Stan) of that mass,
shouldn't attempt to ride a bicycle with components designed for
whippets of men such as myself. For them to do so would be tempting
fate, and would do nothing to prove the inappropriateness of the
equipment for those less than half their mass.

I can buy four rims that will survive a beating for the same price as
one of those, though.

So what?

Still waiting for the yet more expensive "Mavic Open Masters 50 And
Over".

Nah, most of them ride carbon, like Zipp 303 or 404. Mavic Open Pro's
for them are just cheap training wheels. But hang on, that implies they
are all lithe young girls or wear plenty of Sundy tweed, doesn't it?

I thought it was a golf joke?

Maybe. Could go either way.

JS.

Old April 11th 11, 12:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 10, 5:11*am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

Back when he was racing, Fabrizio Mazzoleni dominated the Tour de Farce.

--

http://www.bikereader.com/contributo.../fabrizio.html
Old April 11th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On Apr 10, 6:08Â*am, Tºm Shermªnâ„¢ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
:$southslope.net" wrote:
: On 4/10/2011 12:28 AM, James wrote:
:
: Jeez, don't let it out that you ride over priced European enriched
: with voodoo rims. Â*Some here don't think they're worth it.[...]
:
: Just how much is European Heritage & Mystique worth to you?

:I'm still hoping someone develops spray-on Heritage & Mystique,
erhaps with a dash of Cachet.

Would stick on work for you? Because that's all that makes a lot of
European H&M stuff e. H&M stuff, as Taiwan and China are rather
notably not in Europe.

--
sig 25
Old April 11th 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Apr 10, 5:46 am, thirty-six wrote:

The high price is part of the sell. Some people feel better for
spending what they feel is an appropriate amount for the product.
They feel they will be faster, fresher and safer.

Some years ago, I was giving a tour of our industrial robotics
laboratory to some high school students. Hoping to make a point about
the cost benefits of factory automation, I asked "If you could buy two
cell phones that were exactly identical but one was less expensive,
you'd buy that one, right?"

One girl adamantly said "No, I'd buy the more expensive one. It would
be better."

I said "No, I'm talking about identical phones. The only difference
would be the price."

"I'd buy the more expensive one. More expensive things are always
better."

She's probably still a marketer's dream. (I wonder if she rides a
bike?)

`Identical' is a slippery term. Two instances of the
same model out of the same factory might have been built
to different quality control specifications; or testing
revealed that one batch suffered more, but acceptable, defects.

--
Michael Press

Jobst Phil H Techniques 83 July 13th 11 12:53 AM
Jobst- we mightl never know Cicero Venatio Racing 8 February 12th 11 09:23 AM
When Jobst ... Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 1 January 20th 11 10:28 PM
Jobst Brad Anders Racing 20 January 19th 11 06:31 PM
Jobst TriGuru55x11 Rides 1 January 19th 11 02:13 PM