Rides

Old September 26th 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rides

On 2018-09-24 08:32, wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 5:54:16 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

YOU GOT A CARBON FIBER BIKE?

Yes, I crossed over to the Dark Side again. But the thing is that
although there is only some 6 lbs total weight difference from my
heaviest steel bike to the CLX, the ride quality of the CLX is easily
the best of the lot. It doesn't bounce on those low spots when you're
descending at 40 mph and while hitting bumps gives you a jarring just
as any other frame material it doesn't continue reverberating from it
after the initial strike.

As soon as I recover from the expense of building it I will switch to
tubeless which will reduce the weight by some 2 lbs. because of the
flat kit.

Maybe you guys don't have goat's head thorns. With tubeless the only
defense is the running surface and sometimes the even thinner side wall.
Not much for a 1/3" long thorn. Or a dozen of them hitting almost
simultaneouly. I can only imagine that resulting in an immediate flat
and the size of the hole would cause any slime to just ooze all over the
place like it happened to me. Only thick tubes and a tire liner did the
trick, no more flats since then. So the flat kits I bought from you are
pretty much exclusively for use on other cyclists' bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi4czjB1No

Put that in your goats heads.
Old September 26th 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 12:49:48 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 8:32:11 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 5:54:16 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

YOU GOT A CARBON FIBER BIKE?

Yes, I crossed over to the Dark Side again. But the thing is that although there is only some 6 lbs total weight difference from my heaviest steel bike to the CLX, the ride quality of the CLX is easily the best of the lot.. It doesn't bounce on those low spots when you're descending at 40 mph and while hitting bumps gives you a jarring just as any other frame material it doesn't continue reverberating from it after the initial strike.

As soon as I recover from the expense of building it I will switch to tubeless which will reduce the weight by some 2 lbs. because of the flat kit..

Well, unless you're a real optimist, you'll want to bring at least one spare and some CO2 or a pump -- and your usual tools, all of which you can get well under 2 lbs, unless you're Joerg, and then you try to get it under 20 lbs.

And CF? I thought you and CF were like gasoline and matches.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, I have four road bikes. One of then us tubeless. Presently I'm carrying some CO2 cartridges because I'm still not comfortable with tubeless. But the others all have packs. They all weigh about 2 lbs. I also have one of the superlight pumps with a pressure gauge on it. The pump, filler hose and plastic mount weigh about the same as two CO2 cartridges and a filler.

Why is this foreign to people who claim to ride a great deal?

Yesterday on the ride, a man with a brand new Specialized CF with a TRIPLE (???) got the chain jammed between the middle and small ring. He had no tools and no way of repairing it. Luckily I was there and partially disassembled the triple without destroying his 11 speed chain. So you cannot get rid of carrying a good multitool. I have Triple A if I don't want to carry tools.
Old September 26th 18, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

For ordinary road riders (not you, of course), tubeless would be
perfect for areas infested with goatheads. You get flat resistance
without a half-pound of energy-sucking tubes and tire liners. TK is
on a race bike and not a cargo bike with panniers, heart-lung
machine, flares and rope.

Where should such flat resistance come from if 1/10" penetration
suffices to cause phsssss and green stuff gurgling out?

Even more, why did the couple on the El Dorado Trail get flats on both
tubeless MTB while I, riding the very same route, never get any there?
Because they didn't carry a growler? They kept pumping up, hoping the
slime would finally heal things. It didn't and after 5mi or so I had to
leave them behind because a tubeless leak can't be fixed unless you have
... a tube.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Orange sealant works perfectly. It is possible to get a hole large enough to not seal but it would be enough damage that you could NOT repair a normal clincher either.
Old September 26th 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/26/2018 11:34 AM, wrote:
On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 9:11:03 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

You have a 2 pound flat repair kit?

You don't? One bag, a couple of innertubes, a couple of CO2 cartridges and a filler or a pump and a multitool? I have a scale and I have weighed many of these things and they all were close to two lbs for a road bike and not some heavy POS touring bike wi8th 32 mm heavy wall innertubes like you ride.

The question is - why have you never weighed any of this? Or do you simply contradict for the reasons unknown to thinking humans?

Well, I'm a LONG way from being a weight weenie. (Few weight weenies use
a canvas handlebar bag plus a canvas Carrimore saddle bag.) I have
weighed everything on my bikes many times, but almost only when
returning home from a bike tour. It's an exercise to tabulate what I
carried, what it weighed and whether it was worth it, so I do better
next time.

But just now, I weighed the "flat repair kit" for the bike I rode
yesterday. Tire levers, patch kit, inner tube and pump totaled ten
ounces. (The inner tube was four ounces of that.) Then I added every
other tool I carry on that bike. The grand total was one pound four ounces.

I did the same for my touring bike, which is the recreation bike I most
often ride. The Zefal HPX frame pump was about 9 ounces. Metal tire
levers plus patch kit were three ounces, tube was five ounces. That's
one pound one ounce for flat repair. Adding every other tool I carry on
that bike took it to one pound eight ounces.

But carry whatever you like. Back when we lived in a small southern
town, we had _lots_ of problems with vicious dogs chasing us. My
solution was to carry a few rocks in the handlebar bag. I got quite good
at pitching rocks at dogs as I rode.

I said then that the _real_ reason for sub-20 pound bikes was so you
could carry more rocks.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/26/2018 11:49 AM, wrote:
[...]

That's nothing! Joerg would have done that using a rock and nail while
fighting off a mountain lion! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 8:49:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I have two road bikes, a CX bike (commuter) and a gravel bike -- all ridden on the road with seat packs. All of my seat packs are under 2 lbs. Two tubes (180g-ish), a couple C02 cartridges, inflator (all maybe 200g), a multi-tool, tire lever and bag weight (100g maybe). I'd guess 550 grams tops. 2 lbs is about 900 grams. I carry things in my jersey -- a cell phone, wallet, and sometimes a spare tube, food, etc., that I do not count as part of seat bag weight.

Yesterday on the ride, a man with a brand new Specialized CF with a TRIPLE (???) got the chain jammed between the middle and small ring. He had no tools and no way of repairing it. Luckily I was there and partially disassembled the triple without destroying his 11 speed chain. So you cannot get rid of carrying a good multitool. I have Triple A if I don't want to carry tools.

I got massive chain suck on my Norco Search gravel bike and paid Ruckus a pretty penny to do the carbon repair, but the repair and paint were immaculate. Those Marxist Bohemians do a great job. You cannot tell the chain stay, downtube and BB were all munged up. The OE installed chain-checker is useless except to trap the chain if it drops off the inner ring.

The tool I really needed to extract the chain was the preload cap/fixing bolt extractor for the Shimano crank so I could remove the crank. I tried to remove the cap with a screw driver, but that just munged it up. I ended up yanking the chain out and riding home -- actually my son rode home. He was riding the bike at the time, but we were together. I should have made him pay for the repair, but I'm taking it out of him in pro-deals.

After stripping and rebuilding the bike, I did something that should have been done at the factory -- put foam padding around the disc hose and rear shift cable housing that runs internally. That really quieted the bike and now the biggest rattle (and it is big) is from a little Pro mini-pump.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 26th 18, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 9/24/2018 11:32 AM, wrote:
[...]

OK I took the challenge:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/irRTKG4ap8frQUTq6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6NF4zogscNbrKwra6

In combination with a well maintained bike and the fact that we don't have 'middle of nowhere' in Western Europe I never needed more.

Lou
Old September 26th 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 26/09/2018 2:08 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 5:34:41 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 9:11:03 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/24/2018 11:32 AM,
wrote:
[...]

I carry about the same except for the jar thing. Also, small frame
pump. I haven't weighed it but I doubt if it's more than a pound
including the seat bag.
Old September 26th 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-09-24 08:32,
wrote:

[...]

Another miracle juice? I had the green stuff. Yeah, it initially even
works but after a few months I suddenly lost pressure. Like a slow flat
with green ozzing out. I could only get home by pumping up every few
miles. I threw that stuff away the same night.

Two other riders on the trail (later, after I had switched to thick
tubes and liners) had tubeless with slime and it sure did not hold. The
goat's head thorns worked themselves back out and slime came out. Lots
of it. They both had to hoof it home.

Old September 26th 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-09-24 08:32,
wrote:
[...]

Well, the experience of riders outbhere was a different one. Same for me
with so-called thorn-proof slime tubes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Get your rides in NOW! Bill Sornson[_5_] General 1 August 15th 09 08:42 PM
How do you log rides? Patrick Lamb General 35 January 23rd 07 04:04 PM
Mr. Six rides a uni! patmoore Unicycling 2 November 24th 06 12:14 AM
Mr. Six rides a uni! skrobo Unicycling 0 November 23rd 06 06:39 PM
RR: Two new rides G.T. Mountain Biking 5 February 23rd 06 07:40 AM