Speedmachine and Toxy ZR

Old November 10th 04, 12:24 AM
Bruce in Texas

Default Speedmachine and Toxy ZR

Fellow recumbuteers. I am looking for infomation regarding the
Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.
I am interested in the following regarding the bikes:
1. Overall build quality
2. Your satisfaction with the bike after owning and riding
3. Does the lack of suspension the front of the ZR hurt it and
transfer road vibration to you?
4. They are both heavy, how do they climb hills?
5. Does anyone know the exact weight of the ZR without a
"speedbag" and with a "speedbag"?
Any other info is much appreciated.
I currently ride a Rotator Pursuit.
Bruce
Old November 10th 04, 09:03 AM
Kurt Fischer

Bruce in Texas wrote:

Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.

5. Does anyone know the exact weight of the ZR without a
"speedbag" and with a "speedbag"?

For a comparison of "real world weights" of several recumbents see:
http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/33685.htm

16. Speedmachine 22,50 kg
23. Toxy ZR 14,25 kg

I've ridden neither of these bikes, so I can't comment on most of your
questions. Please note the name "Speedmachine" is a bit misleading.
Actually it's a fast and very comfortable tourer, not a race bike. The
Toxy ZR in fact is a real low racer with tremendous speed potential on
the flats, but on wet asphalt and graveled paths climbing can become a
bit problematic, due to the front wheel drive.

Kurt
Old November 10th 04, 09:45 AM
Dave Larrington

Kurt Fischer wrote:

For a comparison of "real world weights" of several recumbents see:
http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/33685.htm

16. Speedmachine 22,50 kg
23. Toxy ZR 14,25 kg

I'm more than somewhat surprised by the above figures. If my Speedmachine
really weighs that much, I'm astonished that I can actually lift it! Note
to self: weigh it tonight.

I had a Toxy XR briefly in my care last year - transporting it down to the
Words in Friedrichshafen and while undoubtedly lighter than the
Speedmachine, still felt pretty portly. Admittedly that particular example
had a Rohloff hub...

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old November 10th 04, 09:52 AM
Peter Clinch

Bruce in Texas wrote:
Fellow recumbuteers. I am looking for infomation regarding the
Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.

You might try emailing Ben Cooper, a recumbent dealer in Glasgow,
Scotland who sells both and has demonstrator models of each in his shop,
so he's fairly well up on differences and relative merits.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old November 10th 04, 01:24 PM
Kurt Fischer

Dave Larrington wrote:

Kurt Fischer wrote:

http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/33685.htm

16. Speedmachine 22,50 kg
23. Toxy ZR 14,25 kg

I'm more than somewhat surprised by the above figures. If my Speedmachine
really weighs that much, I'm astonished that I can actually lift it! Note
to self: weigh it tonight.

I was also surprised by this weight and looking closer to the picture I
discovered a probably quite heavy U-lock attached to the rear carrier.
So the comparison isn't really fair, but even with four pounds less the
Speedmachine still is far away from being a lightweight. The
Speedmachine in picture 21 looks a lot lighter, but apparently hasn't
been weighed.

On the other hand, there's the fully faired ZOX-Bülk(the name of the man
who has built the fairing) at 23.35 Kg, and that's not bad at all.

I had a Toxy XR briefly in my care last year - transporting it down to the
Words in Friedrichshafen and while undoubtedly lighter than the
Speedmachine, still felt pretty portly. Admittedly that particular example
had a Rohloff hub...

I wouldn't call the Toxy a lightweight either, but there were not that
many light recumbents on the European market until Flux Z Pro,
Velokraft, Razzfazz, M5 Carbon and the Challenge SL line came along.

Kurt
Old November 10th 04, 11:55 PM
Mark Leuck

"Kurt Fischer" wrote in message
Bruce in Texas wrote:

Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.

5. Does anyone know the exact weight of the ZR without a
"speedbag" and with a "speedbag"?

For a comparison of "real world weights" of several recumbents see:
http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/33685.htm

16. Speedmachine 22,50 kg
23. Toxy ZR 14,25 kg

I've ridden neither of these bikes, so I can't comment on most of your
questions. Please note the name "Speedmachine" is a bit misleading.
Actually it's a fast and very comfortable tourer, not a race bike. The
Toxy ZR in fact is a real low racer with tremendous speed potential on
the flats, but on wet asphalt and graveled paths climbing can become a
bit problematic, due to the front wheel drive.

Kurt

wet asphalt and graveled paths can be problematic with a low racer using
rear wheel drive too

Don't ask how I know

Old November 11th 04, 09:01 AM
Dave Larrington

Kurt Fischer wrote:
I was also surprised by this weight and looking closer to the picture
I discovered a probably quite heavy U-lock attached to the rear
carrier. So the comparison isn't really fair, but even with four
pounds less the Speedmachine still is far away from being a
lightweight. The Speedmachine in picture 21 looks a lot lighter, but
apparently hasn't been weighed.

Imbued with the spirit of SCIENTIFIC something or other, I weighed my
Speedmachine last night, and found it to mass 20.8 kg. That's with the
following spec:

Large fibreglass seat + "Airflow" cushion
Fibreglass "Tour" tailbox
Front mudguard + Crudcatcher
Tiller steering with additional bar ends in the middle of the bars
2 x computers
2 x Cateye EL300 front lights. mounted on a hefty Spce Grip workalike
confected from a handlebar stem and piece of seat post
2 x Cateye LD500 rear lights + home-brewed mounts
105 chainset & BB
105/XT derailleurs
Hope XC hubs
Hope brakes (M4 front, Mini rear)

I usually have a toolkit and pump (1.5 kg), waterproof jacket (0.5 kg) and
U-lock (1.3 kg) in the tailbox as well.

FWIW, HP VElotechnik's web site quotes the weight of the tailbox as 3kg...

Old November 11th 04, 12:47 PM
Kurt Fischer

Dave Larrington wrote:

Imbued with the spirit of SCIENTIFIC something or other, I weighed my
Speedmachine last night, and found it to mass 20.8 kg. That's with the
following spec:

Large fibreglass seat + "Airflow" cushion
Fibreglass "Tour" tailbox

[...]

FWIW, HP VElotechnik's web site quotes the weight of the tailbox as 3kg...

This weight sounds very reasonable. I started a thread in the German
Liegeradforum concerning the Speedmachine's weight. So far there is one
entry backing up your number. Hans gives a weight of 16,3kg without
tailbox.
On the other hand, Uwe(the man with the scale ;-)) claims his
measurement to be accurate and Hartmut's bike has been weighed this year
again at 20,4 kg, probably without U-lock.

Anyway, here's the thread:
http://f21.parsimony.net/cgi-bin/top...7385&ThreadNum
mer=58972

And here is an updated link for the pictures. Sorry, I had them on my
computer, so I didn't realize they actually were gone. Attention! A lot
of pictures, may take a while to load.
http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/58980.htm

BTW, Hans mentions the prospective weight of the new Speedmachine with
carbon seat and aluminium rear will be under 14 kg.

Kurt
Old November 12th 04, 05:17 PM
john riley

If you are in Texas, how were you planning to get a Toxy?

Speedmachines are more readily available in N.Am., including used
ones, and including ones with tail fairings, if you please.