STEEL/CF FRAME ESSAY

Old June 16th 13, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default STEEL/CF FRAME ESSAY

On Jun 15, 10:51*pm, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/15/2013 4:17 PM, thirty-six wrote:

On Jun 15, 7:27 am, sms wrote:
On 6/14/2013 7:14 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 08:52:53 +0700, John B.
wrote:

(...)
Starbucks state that 1 lb. coffee makes 64 5 oz. cups. profit.
153/64 = 2.39 cents/cup so $2 coffee would appear to give the seller a
very nice profit indeed.

Spreadsheet on the cost and profits of Starbucks coffee:
http://www.armymwr.org/UserFiles/file/Business_Ops/Starbucks%20Coffee...
Adjust the values in yellow for your local Starbucks prices.

Who ever heard of a 5 ounce cup of coffee?

For hot drinks Starbucks has:

Short: 8 ounces
Tall: 12 ounces
Grande: 16 ounces
Venti: 20 ounces

They don't even have the "short" on the menu.

The 5 ounce cup size is solely for manufacturers of coffee makers so
they can claim that their machines makes more cups.

A pound of Starbucks coffee at Costco is about $8. That makes about 40 8
ounce cups, or about 20¢ per cup. Of course the internal cost to a
Starbucks store of a pound of coffee beans is probably about $2 so it
would be about 5¢/8 ounce cup. Sounds good but the overhead is very high
which why so many Starbucks stores have closed despite the low raw
materials cost.

look up tasse and demi-tasse, that's the normal measure of coffee.

my demi-tasse cups are 90ml *which allows space for 3 lumps of sugar
and stirring.

Lavazza, who ought to know, says 7 grams of coffee pulled
for 30 seconds to a 30ml serving:http://www.lavazza.com.au/pr_espressopedia.html

yeah, well, Italian water is expensive. I did just buy a bottle
today, forget the name, pH of 8.0
Not exactly what I wanted but I was out and didn't have my Mg and
bicarb.

Which is in my experience typical.

For diversity, Illy says 7.5g:http://www.illy-bg.com/en/illyespresso/recipes.php

I use a mokka pot or boil it Turkish/Greek/Arab style.
50 to 60ml is a normal serving for a demi-tasse and is made with a
rounded(or heaped) teaspoon of fine ground coffee in the Turkish
style. The mokka pot takes what it does, mine is considered a two-
cup pot and makes, um, like,um. i don't remember exact, it's just
enough enough .

Old June 16th 13, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jun 16, 1:12*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 14:17:59 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six

wrote:
look up tasse and demi-tasse, that's the normal measure of coffee.
my demi-tasse cups are 90ml *which allows space for 3 lumps of sugar
and stirring.

This may help:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/96c6/

Time for some kitchen chemistry. *A 90 ml demi-tasse cup is 3.04 oz to
the brim. *Here's about 200ml of hot water before and after dumping 3
heaping tea spoons of sugar into the beaker.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/coffee/before.jpg
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/coffee/after.jpg
Looks like 185 ml before and 210 ml after or 25 ml displacement for
the 3 teaspoons. *(It was difficult to see the miniscus through the
camera viewfinder). *Therefore, you can only put
* 90 - 25 = 65 ml

Yeah, well, I only have three LUMPS in my first drink and because I'm
making stuff easier, today I drank the brew from a coconut shell.
Doesn't require warming, see! The coconut shell seems best for Assam
tea. Much better taste than from china or aluminium. Hmmm, must try
a tin can for a teapot.

of coffee into the demi-tasse cup without overflowing. *If you also
add cream and a stirring spoon, there's even less room for the coffee.

Nah, I use a teacup when I'm having cream and that would be coffee
from the mokka pot, a "two-cup" pot.
I use the tail of the spoon or a splint if there's no room to get my
pinky in.

For safety, especially while riding, I suggest you add the sugar and
cream to the cup first. *If there's any room left, then add the
coffee.

As for stirring, sip a little, and then stir.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Old June 21st 13, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Monday, June 3, 2013 5:10:17 AM UTC-6, datakoll wrote:
magazines feed off advertizing

advertizing feeds off disposable income.

that magazines offer information is secomdary to the ends

journals offer information.

butbutbut idea was....how do we transport a CF ?

awwww givemeabreakwillya ?

who would fab a bike not transportable ?

Jill Claybrook and Jimmy Carter, the moralists ?

not quiet who would build an auto not capable of stopping or destroying the planet

but moving nonetheless.

mooooooo

the other thing is that a basic carbon fiber frame can be obtained for about 250 on eaby. I had one and they work just fine and weigh under 3 lbs. You can also get a full built carbon fiber bike for 1000 to 1800 with tiagra, 105 or ultegra components. a Similarly light frame wiill cost you a lot more.

I do prefer steel or ti and ride a chines ti bike that was made custom for me and has over 15000 miles. it cost me 650 and every year it gets a very light brush with with 200 grit sand paper and I have a brand new ti bike again. I much prefer the ride of my ti bike than the ride of carbon.

You can also get a soma smoothie for about 400 which is a very light steel frame. haven't ridden one, but I am strongly considering one.

However, in terms of bang for the buck carbon can't be beaten if you know what you are looking for. 99% of carbon frames are made in china for almost nothing and then shipped to manufacturers all over the world. they put their stickers and inflate the price according to status. If you get a carbon bike that says pinarello, it will cost you 3000 plus. it you get the same bike with a sticker from a discount store, it will cost you half as much. if you order directly from china, then you'll spend pennies.

still, I'm sticking with steel and ti because of the feel that they give. but, I have been riding for a million years and have develop a certain taste.. but, a custon made steel bike will cost you way too much, imho. a custom habanero ti frame will cost a fourth of that.

uni essay... eh? skrobo Unicycling 3 November 30th 07 04:28 PM
steel frame Zruk Techniques 6 October 27th 07 01:20 AM
WTB: Old Steel Frame 52 - 54 cm Dan H Marketplace 0 December 13th 05 04:21 PM
Steel Frame vs Aluminum Frame w/ Carbon seat stays and carbon fork ydm9 General 6 April 12th 04 09:42 PM
WTB: STEEL MTB FRAME DanSchmatz Marketplace 2 September 14th 03 03:32 PM