Weird cause of a bicyclist's crash

Old July 26th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

Default Weird cause of a bicyclist's crash

We were riding along enjoying ourselves when a guy up ahead of us
suddenly swerves into the road flailing wildly at his head, yanks off
his helmet and wipes out getting fair bit of road-rash.

Later at the ER the attending doctor asks if he was wearing a helmet.
Cyclist replies he didn't hit his head. Dr persists in asking if he was
wearing a helmet. Cyclist says yes but NEVER again. Doctor asks why.
Cyclist says, "Because a damn hornet got sucked into a vent and stung
me in the head twice before I could get the F****** helmet off which is
why I crashed in the first place!"

I crazy-glued pieces of micro screen over my helmet vents long ago to
keep insects out. Seems to me to be a good safety precaution.

Peter

Old July 26th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Wayne Pein

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

We were riding along enjoying ourselves when a guy up ahead of us
suddenly swerves into the road flailing wildly at his head, yanks off
his helmet and wipes out getting fair bit of road-rash.

Later at the ER the attending doctor asks if he was wearing a helmet.
Cyclist replies he didn't hit his head. Dr persists in asking if he was
wearing a helmet. Cyclist says yes but NEVER again. Doctor asks why.
Cyclist says, "Because a damn hornet got sucked into a vent and stung
me in the head twice before I could get the F****** helmet off which is
why I crashed in the first place!"

I crazy-glued pieces of micro screen over my helmet vents long ago to
keep insects out. Seems to me to be a good safety precaution.

Peter

In 44 years of riding a bike (20+ with a helmet, usually), I've never
been stung in the head. I have been stung in the thigh during a group
ride (3 months ago, and I've still got a mark there), but that didn't
cause me to swerve and crash.

Wayne

Old July 26th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled-one

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message
m...
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I crazy-glued pieces of micro screen over my helmet vents long ago to
keep insects out. Seems to me to be a good safety precaution.

In 44 years of riding a bike (20+ with a helmet, usually), I've never been
stung in the head. I have been stung in the thigh during a group ride (3
months ago, and I've still got a mark there), but that didn't cause me to
swerve and crash.

This season I've been hit with those hard exoskeleton bugs several times -
Junebugs I think they were. At least that's what we called them.

Just riding along minding my own business and *thwack*.

Old July 26th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
We were riding along enjoying ourselves when a guy up ahead of us
suddenly swerves into the road flailing wildly at his head, yanks off
his helmet and wipes out getting fair bit of road-rash.

Later at the ER the attending doctor asks if he was wearing a helmet.
Cyclist replies he didn't hit his head. Dr persists in asking if he was
wearing a helmet. Cyclist says yes but NEVER again. Doctor asks why.
Cyclist says, "Because a damn hornet got sucked into a vent and stung
me in the head twice before I could get the F****** helmet off which is
why I crashed in the first place!"

Gawd, I find ER docs obsession with helmets rediculous. It is just a
small component of bike injury prevention, not the whole enchilada.
Panacea seeker, the *******s. They never ask if you were following the
rules of the road, a much more vital safety component.

When I bothered to wear a helmet, I got insects stuck in them many
times. Never wrecked, but came close. With a traditional cycling cap, I
can usually see the insect a nanosecond before it impacts, and simply
duck a bit and have it glance off the brim.

Around here, the insects that are the most bothersome are sweat
bees.One attacked my arm a week ago. I saw it start from a few yards
away, behaving not unlike a kamikaze bomber. OUCH!

Old July 26th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Colorado Bicycler

"They never ask if you were following the rules of the road,"

Would you admit it if you weren't?

I can see the newspaper article:

BICYCLIST DIDN'T FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE ROAD

John Smith was the victim in a serious bicycle collision. When asked,
by the ER doc, John admitted that he wasn't following the rules of the
road. . . . .

Old July 26th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
"They never ask if you were following the rules of the road,"

Would you admit it if you weren't?

I can see the newspaper article:

BICYCLIST DIDN'T FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE ROAD

John Smith was the victim in a serious bicycle collision. When asked,
by the ER doc, John admitted that he wasn't following the rules of the
road. . . . .

Got so excited you had to post twice, eh?

What I mean is, that ER docs ask "were you wearing a helmet" even
before they ask "what happened". The focus on the styrofoam is
massively disproportionate to its effectiveness.

Example dialog:

D: "what caused this crash?"
P: "I don't know, I was just riding home after work, and got hit
randomly, guy said he didn't see me"
D: "Did you have lighting on your bike?"
P: "No."
D: "I'd highly suggest that you outfitted your bike with lighting so
that we don't see you here again."

Not that I want docs to moralize, but if they aim for prevention, be a
little thoughtful, eh?

Old July 27th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

"Sir Ridesalot" wrote in message
oups.com...

Later at the ER the attending doctor asks if he was wearing a helmet.
Cyclist replies he didn't hit his head. Dr persists in asking if he was
wearing a helmet.

This persistent helmet nagging has happened to me twice during ER visits,
and frankly it's pretty darned annoying. Once, my helmet was even sitting
on top of my pile of clothing next to me. I suppose they mean well.

Old July 27th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Richard B

Wayne Pein wrote in
m:

snip...

I crazy-glued pieces of micro screen over my helmet vents long ago to
keep insects out. Seems to me to be a good safety precaution.

Peter

In 44 years of riding a bike (20+ with a helmet, usually), I've never
been stung in the head. I have been stung in the thigh during a group
ride (3 months ago, and I've still got a mark there), but that didn't
cause me to swerve and crash.

Wayne

The screen sounds like a good idea; had a bee in my bonnet just last
week. I was climbing a hill and did not want to stop, by the time I
reached the top she had found her way out and happily buzzed away.

I also was stung on the thigh last month, the bee deflected off the
handlebar and landed right above my knee and proceeded to sting.

Rich
Old July 27th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
trino

I think it's because they have to write down those things in case there are
questions in a law suit.

Old July 27th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roscoe East

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I crazy-glued pieces of micro screen over my helmet vents long ago to
keep insects out. Seems to me to be a good safety precaution.

Remember those mesh Helmet Covers that seemed to be all the rage 10
years ago or so? Seems like the perfect solution.