rear derailleur and friction shifting

Old October 3rd 12, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default rear derailleur and friction shifting

Will any derailleur span through the 10 speed cassette range in friction mode? Im not asking about whether or not it is difficult or possible to shift. I want to know if it will be able to move between the largest and lowest cog. Wondering if limit screws will interfere with the range.

Thnxs
Old October 3rd 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy M-S

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:11:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Will any derailleur span through the 10 speed cassette range in friction mode? Im not asking about whether or not it is difficult or possible to shift. I want to know if it will be able to move between the largest and lowest cog. Wondering if limit screws will interfere with the range.

Thnxs

I don't KNOW the answer, but I would be rather surprised if you couldn't get across 10 cogs (or 11) with anything made post-1970, and quite possibly earlier. If the limit screws get in the way, just remove them.
Old October 3rd 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 3 Oct, 20:46, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/3/2012 10:11 AM, wrote:

Will any derailleur span through the 10 speed cassette range in friction mode? *Im not asking about whether or not it is difficult or possible to shift. I want to know if it will be able to move between the largest and lowest cog. Wondering if limit screws will interfere with the range.

Thnxs

Most anything modern.

A Svelto for example with the screws removed completely will
need a touch with a file to do seven speeds.

I remember pulling one screw and adjusting the stop with a hammer, I
don't now recall which end (it's only for winter use and my legs
haven't been able). Ever thought of filing and drilling the Svelto
and getting it on the scales?
Old October 4th 12, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

yeah the Raleigh rebuilt to modern specs has friction shofters from 78 n there's a set of those indexed friction shifters in the box.

Using 8 speeds on a cassette not the OEM freewhell there's one gear left fersure...like how wide is a ten compared to an 8 or 9...

I haven't ridden it in 3.5 years being away....maybe true that it is adjusted to ignore the small 13/14 first hi cog. ???

measure !

there are other posts on this in RBT try a search
Old October 4th 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Andy - izzit possible to mount a larger wheel on the friction shifters thus ??? allowing a longer rear throw ?
Old October 4th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 08:11:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Will any derailleur span through the 10 speed cassette range in friction mode? Im not asking about whether or not it is difficult or possible to shift. I want to know if it will be able to move between the largest and lowest cog. Wondering if limit screws will interfere with the range.

Thnxs

"In friction mode?" If you mean using friction shifters, like bar end
shifters, with a 10 speed cassette, why not? the distance from the
small to large cog is the same as on a 9 speed cassette. It is the
distance between the cogs that is different.

And, yes friction shifters will certainly shift 10 speeds very well.
In fact with friction shifters I can switch wheels, one with a 9 speed
cassette and one with a 10 speed cassette and not have to make any
adjustments at all. No change in limit stops whatsoever.

--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 4th 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

wrote:

Will any derailleur span through the 10 speed cassette range in friction mode? Im not asking about whether or not it is difficult or possible to shift. I want to know if it will be able to move between the largest and lowest cog. Wondering if limit screws will interfere with the range.

Thnxs

Why not. If it is a modern derailer then it has sufficient range - a 9
speed and 10 speed cassette are the same width. If an older 5 or 7
speed derailer then possibly not.
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 4th 12, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/3/2012 7:08 PM, datakoll wrote:
Andy - izzit possible to mount a larger wheel on the friction shifters thus ??? allowing a longer rear throw ?

Not readily.
See any machine shop for a custom lever I suppose.

Or use an aftermarket cable leverage enhancer:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3072/2...1f2_z.jpg?zz=1

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 4th 12, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

cool but another name ? bicycle: (control) cable enhancer stumps Google Patents.

the diagram is a larger wheel without a larger wheel...but drilling a hole weakens the down tube ?

I was thinking...without seeing the unit before me...fabricate from strap a different lever mount then screw a larger wheel...see Global Spec...or your local sewing machine to the new rod ura gonna drill thru both levers.

an hour after dinner no prob.

yeah I maybe remeber I cut out the small hi gear cog for 8-1=7 for a ten speed SUNTOUR + friction lever butnot the indexed model