Compact Crank Options?

Old February 18th 05, 08:16 PM
MattP

Default Compact Crank Options?

I am currently riding a Klein Quantum Race and am wanting to change
cranks to a 50/34. I currently am using Ultegra with the OCTALINK BB.

I am wanting to get the FSA Gossamer crank but I see now that the new
ones have the BB included which doesn't seem to be too much more than
the version that would fit on a OCTALINK BB.

Has anyone used this? Would the combination of my octalink BB and
Gossamer octalink crank be as good as The FSA Mega_Exo crank that is
available now and are there any chainline issues that will require
adjustments if I used the Mega as compared to adding the crank to my
existing BB which may require lowering my FD.

Any experience in this area would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

MattP

Old February 18th 05, 08:45 PM
bfd

"MattP" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am currently riding a Klein Quantum Race and am wanting to change
cranks to a 50/34. I currently am using Ultegra with the OCTALINK BB.

I am wanting to get the FSA Gossamer crank but I see now that the new
ones have the BB included which doesn't seem to be too much more than
the version that would fit on a OCTALINK BB.

Has anyone used this? Would the combination of my octalink BB and
Gossamer octalink crank be as good as The FSA Mega_Exo crank that is
available now and are there any chainline issues that will require
adjustments if I used the Mega as compared to adding the crank to my
existing BB which may require lowering my FD.

Any experience in this area would be appreciated

If you want a "compact" crank, e.g., 110mm bcd crank, that uses OCTALINK,
the *best* one for the money is the Ritchey WCS compact crank:

http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=CR3255

Old February 19th 05, 12:21 AM
Wasatch5k

MattP wrote:

Any experience in this area would be appreciated

I have the FSA Energy 50/34 an LOVE it! FSA makes a high quality
crankset. Ritchey makes a high quality compact also. I PERSONALLY would
not buy the compact made by Truvativ.

I think you could go either way (OctaLink, ISIS, Mega) and have good
results. I've used all three and really can't tell the difference when
riding.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

Nate
--

Let the bridges I burn light my way...
Old February 20th 05, 07:04 PM
Dan R H

I've got Bontragers on both of my bikes. Cheaper than the FSA's. Oh, and
they're 50x36.

--
Dan Hertlein
http://danhertlein.com/
"Wasatch5k" wrote in message
MattP wrote:

Any experience in this area would be appreciated

I have the FSA Energy 50/34 an LOVE it! FSA makes a high quality crankset.
Ritchey makes a high quality compact also. I PERSONALLY would not buy the
compact made by Truvativ.

I think you could go either way (OctaLink, ISIS, Mega) and have good
results. I've used all three and really can't tell the difference when
riding.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

Nate
--

Let the bridges I burn light my way...

ultegra octalink: tick Tick TICK TICK TICK! H. Guy Techniques 44 February 2nd 05 01:56 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
In praise of FSA compact crank Eagle Jackson Techniques 42 October 5th 04 04:44 AM
Crank square taper hole too large - options? Phil Holman Techniques 12 July 18th 03 02:10 AM