Advice for first bike: new or used (specialized allez elite vs cannondale r2000)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 1st 04, 09:02 PM
Matt Bouchard

Default Advice for first bike: new or used (specialized allez elite vs cannondale r2000)

Hi...

This will be my first real road bike purchase so, apologies if this
sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy my first real road bike in 15
years (Im 31). I will be using it for a triathlon here in California
in Sept. Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping), but
Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike + $150 for
everything else.

I'm looking at two bikes:

1) New Specialized allez elite 2004 triple. Can get it at my LBS for
$850+tax which seems like a good price. (is there a way to stop the
clicking of the derailer?)

2) A good condition used 1999 Cannondale R2000 with Ultegra, Cane
Creek Crono Wheels, Reynolds Carbon Fiber Fork, 3T Prima 199
Handlebar, CP Pave ergometric seat. Asking is $800. Its from a guy at
work and the bike has been taken care of, and the size is right.
Here's a pictu http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/409afe82...ZPOvABkWXm2Vy8

I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit as well.

Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go for? I think most
would say go for the new bike, but I think the cannondale might be a
better deal. I still have my '94 cannon MTB and I think they make good
stuff; brother swears by specialized. Either way, Im going to be
happy.

Thanks in advance,
matt

How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Specialized Allez Elite Cr-Mo w/Columbus FOCO tubing ??'s Mark Sinderson General 1 September 18th 03 12:28 PM
2nd-hand track bike - advice needed hippy General 43 September 16th 03 04:05 AM