Times do change

Old April 29th 04, 04:10 AM
Peter

Default Times do change

I have had some thoughts/memories pass by me while I was reading the
aluminum/steel frame thread and the clipless vs toe straps thread.

I remember reading a number of articles in the old Bicycling Magazine, circa
1975, wherein 15 gear Touring Bikes were derided as having far too many
gears. The editor stated that 10 gears were plenty enough for even loaded
touring.

When they finally accepted that 15 gears were here to stay they began
touting a setup known as 'the half-step granny'. Anyone know if that setup
is still used very much. If I recall correctly it would have been something
like a 52-45-30 front and a 14-28 or 14 - 32 rear.

re. Aluminum vs Steel frames. It would make interesting reading to hear the
potential comments which could have been made way back when, when bike
frames and rims started to be made of metal instead of wood. Can't you just
imagine the comments posted to a newsgroup had one been available then.

Old April 29th 04, 05:01 AM
cheg

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
I have had some thoughts/memories pass by me while I was reading the
aluminum/steel frame thread and the clipless vs toe straps thread.

I remember reading a number of articles in the old Bicycling Magazine, circa
1975, wherein 15 gear Touring Bikes were derided as having far too many
gears. The editor stated that 10 gears were plenty enough for even loaded
touring.

When they finally accepted that 15 gears were here to stay they began
touting a setup known as 'the half-step granny'. Anyone know if that setup
is still used very much. If I recall correctly it would have been something
like a 52-45-30 front and a 14-28 or 14 - 32 rear.

My "good" bike is a 30 year old steel frame Raleigh International with a
"half-step+granny "setup - 52-48-33 front and 13-16-20-23-28 rear, Suntour
friction barend shifters, 27 inch wheels. I like always knowing what the next
gear is with 12 distinct choices between 32 to 108 gear inches. I'm planning to
ride this bike until it breaks or I do. I did a century ride on it 10 days ago
and averaged slightly over 16 mph with about 5000 feet of climbing. No problem
keeping up with my friend on his super wham-o-dyne titanium/carbon wonder bike.

http://cheg01.home.comcast.net/int1a.jpg

In answer to your question, half-step is rarely used these days because there
are so many choices in a 9 or 10 speed cassette that it is not necessary to use
the front shifter so much to get the same effect. Half step is a probable
retro-grouch indicator now.